Roarke's Drift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roarke's Drift

I never tire of watching this movie. Available now courtesy of Youtube, you too can now watch-

Zulu. Utterly epic.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

One of my mates from 1 RTR had a relative killed there receiving the VC .

Comment

Just a few months ago, my family was visiting me and my father suggested this movie, so I downloaded it and we watched in high-def.
      He said he'd watched it as a kid and was overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of Zulus attacking the fort.

It was (loosely) remade in a Vietnam War movie set during the Tet Offensive, called The Siege Of Firebase Gloria with R. Lee Ermey (the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket of course). It was something of a "B movie" and reportedly Ermey cringes a bit when it's brought up, but it's far better than say, Red Tails.

Funny thing, I'd watched that movie as a kid and was overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of VC attacking the firebase.
      Like father like son I guess. Kinda eerie in a way.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I watched this movie last Sunday....its freaking awesome.

I even have the roll call by Richard Burton at the end on my IPod!

And the line of the movie:

Colour Sergeant Bourne: It's a miracle.
        Lieutenant John Chard: If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 caliber miracle.
        Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind it.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

That was one of the first DVDs (or movies in general, since I can't remember buying any VHS) I ever bought.

The next one was Zulu Dawn.

Comment

Zulu Dawn, IIRC, was about twenty years later but, really, they're a matched pair needing to be watched together.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
              That was one of the first DVDs (or movies in general, since I can't remember buying any VHS) I ever bought.

The next one was Zulu Dawn.
              In correct historical order.
              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

This was one of a long list of movies that I can remember my dad making me watch in the '80's, when it became apparent that I intended to be a soldier... recorded from late night network TV with an early-model VCR, complete with Selective Service registration commercials ("It's quick, it's easy, and it's THE LAW")... my brothers and I watched it endlessly, but he may still have that tape around.

Comment

Both are great movies!

I'm looking forward to the release of the Red Dawn remake, I hope it's good.

Comment

Sorry to go slightly off topic there,

Comment

Working...
                    X