USN Carriers to be Scrapped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gtbred View Post
    ummm! what's going happend to BigE when she done with her service?
    She will be scrapped too. The plan is already in the works for her reactors to be removed here in VA which will mean gutting her from flight deck to bilge to get them out. I hope to be able to provide some photo's of both her return from her last deployment as well as some of her dismantling if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by drivinfool View Post
      She will be scrapped too. The plan is already in the works for her reactors to be removed here in VA which will mean gutting her from flight deck to bilge to get them out. I hope to be able to provide some photo's of both her return from her last deployment as well as some of her dismantling if possible.
      I'm dearly hoping for her island to be saved.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Now, what ever happened to the bridge from the Long Beach? Scrapped, I guess, since only her hull is around as far I know.
        Last edited by surfgun; 25 Apr 12,, 23:50.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          I'm dearly hoping for her island to be saved.
          That would indeed be nice. I just wonder where it would end up if they decide to do that.

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
          Now, what ever happened to the bridge from the Long Beach? Scrapped, I guess, since only her hull is around as far I know.
          While Long Beach certainly had some historical significance, the super structure on that ship was one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. It would be interesting to know what happened to it though. If I recall correctly it was made of aluminum, I am guessing it was recycled long ago.

Comment

News on this from: Inactiveships - Inactiveships_News

Cancellation of the ex-Saratoga dismantling solicitation

On 17 May 2012, the Navy cancelled the solicitation for dismantling of the aircraft carrier ex-Saratoga (CV 60). The solicitation was issued as a small business set aside based on an expectation that offers would be obtained from at least two responsible small businesses, defined in this solicitation as a company with fewer than 1,000 employees. While multiple proposals were received and evaluated, all companies remaining in the competition following discussions were determined by the Small Business Administration to be other than small.

CV 59/63 Class Aircraft Carrier Towing, Dismantling, and Recycling

5/24/2012 - The Navy released today RFP No. N00024-12-R-4211 for the towing, dismantling and recycling of conventionally-powered CV 59/63 Class aircraft carriers. The solicitation is a full and open competition. The RFP is available at www.neco.navy.mil. Proposals are due by July 23, 2012. The Navy anticipates the award of up to three Indefinite Delivery, Indefinite Quantity five-year contracts with initial task order awards for the towing and dismantling of ex-FORRESTAL (AVT 59), ex-SARATOGA (CV 60) and ex-CONSTELLATION (CV 64). The Navy may compete the towing and dismantling of additional conventionally-powered aircraft carriers among the IDIQ contractors over the five-year term of the contracts.

So, on the new solicitation, Constellation is on there (along with Forrestal and Saratoga) but Independence isn't. Does this mean she's a potential Sinkex again? I would have expected her to be disposed of before Constellation. (or perhaps, they are leaving Independence alone, for the time being, so the Ranger Museum people can strip her?)

Comment

By that logic (if it's the case), the Constellation should be retained until the Kitty Hawk is struck from the NVR- as a spare parts source.

Comment

That's what I would logically think too. But the Navy could have already stripped Connie of Kitty Hawk specific spares and then stored them in the KH's hanger. The Navy isn't going to do the same for a potential museum ship. That's typically left up to the museum operators to supply the labor for. I just find it odd that the Indy has been left off the new solicitation.

Comment

An article on NPR states that FORRESTAL, CONSTELLATION and INDEPENDENCE will all be sent to Bay Bridge Texas' new Brownsville scrapyard for breaking up:

When the ship comes in to Brownsville, rip it up
                  Last edited by Admiral Nelson; 25 Jul 12,, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
                    An article on NPR states that FORRESTAL, CONSTELLATION and INDEPENDENCE will all be sent to Bay Bridge Texas' new Brownsville scrapyard for breaking up:

Heard this segment this morning on my way to work; very interesting. Apparently, Brownsville is THE biggest ship-breaker area in the US due to it's geography and the availability of cheap (i.e.: immigrant) labor.
                    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post

From personal experience, there's a lot of hazmat on the Constellation.....
                      Good luck to the workers and the residents of Brownsville.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        The Admiral told "Z" that the Ranger is going to Everett, WA all due to one man. I said one man did the environmental report, the business report and got a pier for the ship and Z said yes. What is he a billionaire or millionaire? Neither, the Admiral said it was a retired Chief Petty Officer, 2nd Class who apparently got the Navy to sign off on it! I could see that Z's head was still spinning over that and I frankly couldn't believe it but his old boss told him it was so.
                        while it would be great for the Ranger to become a museum, I don't see where she could be put in Everett to become a museum.. you can see Naval Base Everett here, with the USS Abraham Lincoln, USS Momsen and most likely the USS Ford and USS Ingraham in port there.. there is just no place, on either NAB Everett or the civilian port to put something the size of a supercarrier..

Comment

Oops! NPR has put up the following retraction of the story I posted before:

Correction July 25, 2012
                          A previous Web version of this story incorrectly said that the USS Independence is one of the carriers to be scrapped. We also said that the carriers will be sent to the Brownsville company Bay Bridge Texas. While the ships are all likely to be sent to Brownsville, nothing has been confirmed. A previous photo caption incorrectly located machinery at the Bay Bridge Texas yard; it was actually International Shipbreaking Ltd.

Comment

Ex-RANGER (CV 61) Redesignated for Dismantling

9/26/2012 - Ex-RANGER (CV 61) has been removed from donation hold and redesignated for dismantling. Ex-RANGER had been available for donation as a museum/memorial since March 2004 but no organization was able to meet the Navy's minimum requirements for ship donation.

Inactiveships - Inactiveships_News

I don't see any updates on this development on the Ranger Museum website, it appears to be business as usual over there.

Comment

The ShipRecycling Blog has an article on the USS Ranger Foundation's failed bid for the carrier: Article Link. the list of obstacles is pretty daunting, to say the least.

Comment

I've said this over and over again: A supercarrier simply too much ship for a private organization, funded by donations and admission fees, to take care of.

The upper limit of practicality was reached with the Midway-class carriers (1) and the Iowa-class battleships (4)
                                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X