Why use shotguns over other guns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FJV View Post
    I've read somewhere that if you want to take out someone immediately, you have to hit a vital organ or the central nervous system. (otherwise they keep coming at you for a while)
    Shoot them in the crotch to break the pelvic bone. They ain't going nowhere but down.;)

Then the fun begins.
    Last edited by Gun Grape; 15 Feb 12,, 03:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      Shoot them in the crotch to break the pelvic bone. They ain't going nowhere but down.;)

Then the fun begins.
      That is a good tip :)

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Sorry if someone mentioned this already, but... overpenetration.

If someone attacked my home and I took the shotgun, even a missed shot would cause no harm unless directly hitting someone. But that 9 mm bullet has real chance to travel through the intruder, through the door... and hitting someone. Many of the interior walls won´t stop them either (ok, I got brick walls almost all around..).

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

Then the fun begins.
          Their hands and brain have no problem,so they can shoot back.
          Those who know don't speak
          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Mihais Reply

"Their hands and brain have no problem,so they can shoot back."

That's a serious bad-azz who can think about returning fire with his guts spilling out all over the ground.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
              "Their hands and brain have no problem,so they can shoot back."

That's a serious bad-azz who can think about returning fire with his guts spilling out all over the ground.
              drugs do wonders to nervous system.
              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

^^ All this is why the shotgun rules. The chances of doing CNS damage AND extreme tissue disruption simultaneously is high.

You get a pellet through major arteries - bleeding begins. Pellets whack nerves and the spine, limiting mobility. And massive tissue damage sends the perp into shock.

On the other hand, a single bullet passing cleanly through, even through a lung, might not drop him in his tracks.

Comment

I still wonder why SWAT alike teams don't resolve hostage situations with shotguns.
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

This looks like a good home defense shotgun PREVIEW: Kel-Tec Shotgun (KSG)
                    01-04-2011
                    The time for secrecy is nearing its end. This SHOT Show, Kel-Tec will be revealing its next ground-breaking product: the KSG (Kel-Tec Shotgun).

The KSG is our first entry into the shotgun market. The size, shape and design are similar to the currently available Kel-Tec RFB rifle, but the KSG ejects downward, instead of forward. The KSG weighs 6.9lbs and is as compact as legally possible with a 26.1" overall length and an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. Even with this compact size, the internal dual tube magazines hold an impressive 6 rounds of 12 gage 3" shells each, for a total capacity of 6+6+1 (7 per tube if using 2-3/4" shells). The simple and reliable pump action feeds from either the left or right tube. The feed side is manually selected by a lever located behind the trigger guard. The lever can be positioned in the center detent in order to easily clear the chamber without feeding another round from either magazine. A cross bolt style safety blocks the sear, and the pump release lever is located in front of the trigger guard.

The pump includes an under Picatinny rail for the mounting of a forward grip, or a light or laser. The included top Picatinny sight rail will accept many types of optics or iron sights. Forward and rear sling loops are built in, and a basic sling is included. The soft rubber butt pad helps to tame recoil.

MSRP has not been officially been set, but we are looking at the $800.00 range.

Back
                    Attached Files
                    CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                      I still wonder why SWAT alike teams don't resolve hostage situations with shotguns.
                      Different job,different tool.For a start,a civilian in self defense is under stress,likely in the dark or low light so he won't shoot with accuracy.A shotgun is likely to have some effect in what otherwise would be a near miss.If a hostage situation happens on the spot,you either grab a pistol(if you feel skilled and brave,or simply the situation requires) or wait for the SWAT team to come.Then comes the psychological factor.One may be intimidated by a pistol,but most would brown their pants if a shotgun goes boom,even if it misses completely.Even the sight and the arming sound are awesome.
                      SWAT needs precision first and foremost.They have the initiative,most likely some intel,they have NVG's(besides a ton of other gadgets) body armor etc... And they strive to achieve surprise and shock,besides outnumbering the enemy.
                      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post

Sir,my comrades,family and friends are worth more than all the bastards in world that live,lived or will live.Why take a chance?Even if its one in a million,it is still too much a risk.Besides,the entire concept of shooting one in a pelvis,with the corresponding spilling of guts,seems somewhat dubious to me.Both in terms of efficiency and humanity.

Comment

IMO, the crotch shot is for emphasis/hummiliation - and should follow the mouth/neck shot which disconnects the shrivelled criminal brain from the rest of it's scum heap. The modified Mosambique drill with one in the face, two in the chest, and one in the crotch - in practice, games and movies - the crotch shot comes first (often with some Swartzeneger like snide remark being delievered to the dying perp - "remember when I said I'd kill you last? - I lied"). In real Home SD - it probably doesn't happpen at all. The decapitation/threat removal shot is enough - any subsequent shots would be reserved for additonal bad guys. Most of us who would defend their homes, hope it isn't necessary - but understand that being prepared is necesssary - the point being to kill the bad guy ASAP and leave no opportunity for him to do any damage.
                          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                            Different job,different tool.For a start,a civilian in self defense is under stress,likely in the dark or low light so he won't shoot with accuracy.A shotgun is likely to have some effect in what otherwise would be a near miss.If a hostage situation happens on the spot,you either grab a pistol(if you feel skilled and brave,or simply the situation requires) or wait for the SWAT team to come.Then comes the psychological factor.One may be intimidated by a pistol,but most would brown their pants if a shotgun goes boom,even if it misses completely.Even the sight and the arming sound are awesome.
                            SWAT needs precision first and foremost.They have the initiative,most likely some intel,they have NVG's(besides a ton of other gadgets) body armor etc... And they strive to achieve surprise and shock,besides outnumbering the enemy.
                            I think I got it:

No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Now, now... There there

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                              IMO, the crotch shot is for emphasis/hummiliation - and should follow teh etc, etc, etc...
                              Guys if I really wanna hurt a person, I will arrange them to be married to someone, who will slowly kill them by annoying, bickering and pestering him to death in a loveless, sexless, alcohol less marriage.

:insane:

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                                Their hands and brain have no problem,so they can shoot back.
                                But now you have a stationary target.

Comment

Working...
                                X