Lies, Dirty Lies and Damnably Dirty Lies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lies, Dirty Lies and Damnably Dirty Lies

Lt. Col. Dan Davis U.S.A. is the latest officer to have his fill of the "everything is proceeding apace" nonsense uttered by the high command regarding Afghanistan. Down where the rubber meets the road, the troops know much better the bullsh!t being spewed literally eminates from echelons above reality.

The corruption and ineptitude of the ANP and ANA is deadly real. The connivance of our government with those whom direct the killers of our troops from Pakistan is deadly real. The careerism and ominous silence from those in our officer ranks who should know their silence no longer reflects a stoic and heroic leader is intolerable.

Truth, Lies And Afghanistan-Armed Forces Journal

An officer's duty is simple. Our troops know their jobs about as well as any armed combatant force in American history. Maybe better. An officer's core responsibility is to unfcuk matters when they become screwed up. At the troop level it can actually be a pretty easy gig when surrounded by so many good men. They don't actually fcuk up all that much.

Above them? A different story. And EVERYBODY knows it. There's where it gets hairy for an officer. Thirteen, fourteen years in and you can smell that retirement as a LTC or full colonel. All you've got to do is shut your mouth, tow the line and pray there are no fcuk-ups below you which are damning.

Doing so, however, is not serving your duty when it means your troops bite the bullet for your silence. No officer is entitled to a retirement. There was no guarantee upon commissioning. A career as a army or marine officer isn't a marathon. It's a series of meeting engagements with life-any of which may require you to adhere to the core principle of unfcuking a problem-and doing so even should it mean falling on your sword for your troops.

We read a lot of lip-service by our senior military leadership about the devotion to duty of our serving soldiers, sailors, airmen/women and marines. Were our leaders so morally and ethically committed as those men and women whom serve under them then we'd hear and read the plain truth about all which we've figured out here at the WAB without their help.

I've been calling bullsh!t on this war since the Korengal in the fall of 2007. It was pointless as configured then and remains every bit as much so now. Our civil and senior military leaders owe an abject apology to our troops for this horrid mess of things that they've created.

Sadly, it'll never happen. Instead, they'll ride the coat-tails of our troops to their next gigs until finally riding off into the sunset at the tax-payer's expense. Too many of their troops won't be so lucky.

All those stupid allusions to Vietnam? While the battlefield sure looks different there's a real reason to think that the senior commanders are remarkably the same these days.

In Afghan War Officer Becomes Whistle-Blower-Scott Shane NYT February 5, 2012

This thing REALLY pisses me off...
    Last edited by S2; 08 Feb 12,, 04:42.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Two separate career paths, professional officer vs political career officer. It's just the old British system of commission buying, or if you prefer the Praetorian guard. Having been a Washington insider himself I have doubts about Lt. Colonel Davis' motives but only an idiot would doubt the validity of his message.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Parihaka Reply

Iain,

"...I have doubts about Lt. Colonel Davis' motives but only an idiot would doubt the validity of his message."

As well you should. I do. I noted he'd served as a legislative aide to Sue Hutchison of Kansas. It's almost beside the point because we'd be shooting the messenger...which is also part and parcel to the established way for doing things these days. Obfuscate the message and dissemble the source by attacking credibility.

Still, too many of us have read the incessant barrage of happy news eminating from the command corridors. I'm sure you've read CENTCOM a time or two on def.pk. If you haven't, look him up. I've little doubt but that he's real and can only wonder how he sleeps at night. He's a spinmeister, pure and simple and, boy, is he good/bad!
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

"Hard pressed on my right; center is yielding; impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent, I shall attack!"

Was General Foch lying.

Where is the breaking point and should you still continue despite it.

Until it becomes blindingly obvious ie politically unacceptable, the spin will continue.

As usual we will be groping around in the dark trying to figure it all out.

Comment

Well,IT IS obvious.And no,Foch wasn't lying.

We're at least fortunate that in our age we don't have to charge enemy fortifications with bare hands.Otherwise the behaviour is similar to what it was in past wars.And it's interesting,to me at least.US Army as an institution takes military history very serious and I like them for that.Like the Lt.Col says,leadership is in everybody's mouth.Yet the problem persists.Seems it's just another eternal law of war.Everybody wants to be in charge,but warlords are a few gems.
          Those who know don't speak
          He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
            Otherwise the behaviour is similar to what it was in past wars.
            This is what i'm thinking too. There is a general pattern here, ain't nothing new about it. And its universal. Does not matter where you're from, you've seen it already in some shape or form.

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
            And it's interesting,to me at least.US Army as an institution takes military history very serious and I like them for that.Like the Lt.Col says,leadership is in everybody's mouth.Yet the problem persists.

Seems it's just another eternal law of war.Everybody wants to be in charge,but warlords are a few gems.
            Will a leader ever admit they made a mistake ?

How will they justify the billions in treasure and lives expended over policies they may or not have had a hand in making but were unable to change course.

No way can defeat or anything amounting to it ever be divulged. It becomes classified and stays that way. Fortunately for statute of limitations at least you get to learn about it some day. In other countries its forgotten and nothing is learnt.

This begs the question of whether telling the truth amounts to insubordination.

Who is the keeper of the truth.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Feb 12,, 21:05.

Comment

The politicians have decided we can't win and need to get out; they may be right, maybe not. All the rest is them saving their own skins.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Will a leader ever admit they made a mistake ?

How will they justify the billions in treasure and lives expended over policies they may or not have had a hand in making but were unable to change course.

No way can defeat or anything amounting to it ever be divulged. It becomes classified and stays that way. Fortunately for statute of limitations at least you get to learn about it some day. In other countries its forgotten and nothing is learnt.

This begs the question of whether telling the truth amounts to insubordination.

Who is the keeper of the truth.
                Officers and men telling the truth is one trademark of a great army.And reality is the truth.When bullets fly and men die,BS has no place.

All leaders make mistakes.The soldiers forgive those made by great men.They don't forgive those made be opportunists and careerists.
                Those who know don't speak
                He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Afghan ’surge’ cover-up exposed | Bhadrakumar blog | Feb 07 2012

War cover-ups are as ancient as the hills. Every war would have hidden stories to tell. The Afghan war is no exception. A Pakistani friend sent to me the startling first-person singular account by a serving colonel in the US army about the grim ground realities of Afghan war, which blows to smithereens the doctored versions that appear in official US pronouncements.

Lt. Col. Daniel Davis’ account shows that David Petraeus’ famous Afghan ’surge’ has been a failure. The Taliban insurgents control “virtually every piece of land beyond eyeshot” of a US or ISAF military base. President Hamid Karzai’s government has been a disaster and local governments fail to “provide for the basic needs of the people.” Afghan security forces often collude with insurgents.

Afghan forces are nowhere near capable of shouldering the responsibility for security. Davis asks: “In all of the places I visited, the tactical situation was bad to abysmal… How many more men must die in support of a mission that is not succeeding and behind an array of more than seven years of optimistic statements by US senior leaders in Afghanistan?

Good question. Yet, those who exuded optimism about the war have done well for themselves. But then, that is one common feature of war cover-ups. Remember Peter O’Toole’s classic film Zulu Dawn?

In real history, though, Lord Chelmsford who led the British troops in the disastrous Anglo-Zulu War of 1879 — British army’ worst ever defeat against an inferior native force in the colonial era — had powerful supporters all the way up to Queen Victoria who showered honours on him, made him full general, awarded him the Golden Stick at Court and appointed him Lieutenant of the Tower of London. The hugely successful life of General Frederic Augustus Thesiger, 2nd Baron Chelmsford GCB, GCVO finally ended in 1905 when he was playing billiards at his club.

Victoria was fond of Chelmsford at a personal level. But for President Barack Obama, it was paramountly a political decision to promote Petraeus as CIA director, given the strong backing the general with the Roman name enjoys among the Republicans. The Afghan war doesn’t figure as a campaign issue in 2012.

The problem with cover-ups is that opportunities to learn hard lessons get wasted. Thus, hardly a year after the Zulu War, Britain slid into the Boer War. If Davis’ expose is properly grasped, there is no reason why America should repeat the same mistake in Syria or Iran.

What gives optimism is that the Pentagon’s Armed Forces Journal found Davis’s opinion important enough to be disseminated. Now, how many militaries would do such a thing?

Comment

Working...
                  X