Barefoot running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barefoot running

A pretty cool video looking at how running shoes have changed how we run, and not necessarily for the better.

"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

I used to be a runner, and the only time the back of my feet would touch the ground was before and after the start & finish lines. Running 100m is of course something complete different, but I was never really able to do any different when I was running longer distances or playing handball. I usually did not even add more then the three most foreword spikes.

Comment

Quite different from what our PT instructors use to teach us - heel-toe, heel-toe....
      While jogging now a days, I unconsciously do use the bare foot method.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
        A pretty cool video looking at how running shoes have changed how we run, and not necessarily for the better.
        Given two identical atheletes over rough terrain, I will gurrantee you the one with foot protection will outrun the other without.

By the same token, it is EXTEMELY NOT NATURAL FOR HUMAN BEINGS TO BE IN A SITTING POSITION WHILE OVERCOMING DISTANCE but I will guarrantee you that I will have had ate my freshly cooked dinner after arriving at my destination via my trailer before you even got a quarter of the wayn on foot?

Major, while I admired your determination to stay young. There is a point where mechanization overcomes ... and overcomes extremely bearingly.
        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 04 Jan 12,, 05:08.

Comment

If I were native American I would have been in the "Tenderfoot" tribe. With all the broken glass, thorny plants nails and other garbage on the road running barefoot is a dangerous proposition. Wearing shoes AND running barefoot style would work which is probably what these guys were after. adidas adiPURE Trainer Barefoot Men's Running Shoes | FinishLine.com | Black/Yellow
          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            EXTEMELY NOT NATURAL FOR HUMAN BEINGS TO BE IN A SITTING POSITION WHILE OVERCOMING DISTANCE
            Lance Armstrong would disagree, but then he is basically a pair of lungs with a life support system.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I feel the barefoot running style, puts a lot of stress on the knee and shin.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

I've tried this kind of style--barefoot running on treadmill. Unfortunately, my feet got badly injured. As an alternative, I bought a pair of barefoot running shoes such as Vibram Five Fingers to protect my feet from any dangerous objects/ elements. So far, so great.

Edit: Link Removed. dominicsmith, if you are not a bot, please drop by the introduction thread and tell us a bit about yourself. I have removed the link as it appears to be an advertisement.
                Last edited by Chogy; 11 Jan 12,, 17:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  Major, while I admired your determination to stay young. There is a point where mechanization overcomes ... and overcomes extremely bearingly.
                  Sir,
                  You can blend the advantages of barefoot movement with protection. I think this is a great case of where faith in "progress" is sometimes mistaken.

Untitled Document
                  Vibram FiveFingers : Barefoot Sports Shoes : Toe Shoes & Minimalist Shoes
                  "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Done a little bit of it- I'm not yet convinced of its merits on pavement- I'm sure it's better for my legs, impact wise, but it really does a number on your feet. Not like cuts or bruises (my calluses are like alligator skin) but after a while the pounding makes my feet ache. Out in the woods or anywhere else without very hard surfaces it's great, as long as there are tons of thorns or other sharpnesses. I keep thinking about getting some Five Fingers, but the price and fear of looking like a hipster dork keep me away.
                    I enjoy being wrong too much to change my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                      Sir,
                      You can blend the advantages of barefoot movement with protection. I think this is a great case of where faith in "progress" is sometimes mistaken.

Untitled Document
                      Vibram FiveFingers : Barefoot Sports Shoes : Toe Shoes & Minimalist Shoes
                      So those weird individual toe tennis shoes that I saw in Japan back in the 1980s are now High Speed barefoot running cool dude stuff. With the high dollar price to go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                        So those weird individual toe tennis shoes that I saw in Japan back in the 1980s are now High Speed barefoot running cool dude stuff. With the high dollar price to go with it.
                        Should have bought stock then.

Comment

Working...
                        X