X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran Reiterates Threat To Close Strait of Hormuz If Attacked

Iran Reiterates Threat To Close Strait of Hormuz If Attacked

News Link

Following erroneous reports yesterday that Iran had closed the Strait of Hormuz, a rumor that caused a brief spike in oil prices, MP Parviz Sorouri today reiterated Iran’s threat to close the key oil choke point if the country’s nuclear facilities come under attack

“The Strait of Hormuz is one of these options (for defending the country); if the strait is secure it should be secure for all, it can’t be secure for all except for Iran, if such a thing happens, naturally Iran can use this capacity to close the waterway within its territorial waters and within its borders in accordance with international rules and regulation,” member of the parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Parviz Sorouri told reporters on Wednesday.
    “We cannot keep mum and remain handcuffed against threats. If enemies intend to bring their threats against us into action, we will use all our capacities, too, and the Strait of Hormuz is one of these capacities,” Sorouri said in comments reported by Iran’s official Fars News Agency.
    On Monday we reported how Iran was preparing to stage a drill based around closing the Strait of Hormuz in the event of a US/Israeli attack. 24 hours later real-time analyst website Ransquawk reported the “rumor” that the Strait had been closed, which was almost immediately confirmed to be false. The rumor arose out of confusion regarding the military exercise, which is set to take place soon.
    “The Iranian armed forces are set to stage military drills in the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz to practice how to defend Iran,” confirms the Fars report.
    Experts have warned that the closure of Iran’s key shipping transit, through which 15.5 million barrels of oil pass each day representing 33% of the world’s total oil shipments, would send oil prices through the roof.

Closing the Strait for a period of just 30 days would send crude racing up to $300-$500 dollars a barrel, a level that would trigger global economic instability and cost the U.S. nearly $75 billion in GDP. “One bomb on Iran and oil prices could shoot up to $300 or even $500 a barrel,” veteran UPI correspondent Arnaud de Borchgrave wrote recently.
    On November 1, a group of 13 generals and admirals produced a report warning that a “sustained disruption” of oil “would be devastating – crippling our very freedom of movement.” The report, entitled “Ensuring America’s Freedom of Movement: A National Security Imperative to Reduce U.S. Oil Dependence,” was sponsored by a San Francisco-based Energy Foundation.
    Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast warned last week that oil prices would soar above $250 dollars barrel if sanctions were placed on Iran.
    In response, US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta stated, “Any disruption of the free flow of commerce through the Persian Gulf is a very grave threat to all of us and a red line for the US.

Another point of view-

Close The Straits Of Hormuz-Washington Times Opinion Dec. 14, 2011
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Maybe we should just tell them no problem we'll close it for you, and keep it closed for say ummm 6 months to a year. Let the other countries tanker it out but the straights remain closed. And if they want to start a shooting war then choose specific targets in the oil and nuclear programs.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

It would be entirely irresponsible and counter-productive but I would so like to see an exercise by NATO at the same time on how to keep the straits open :)
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

If they try it, I see a repeat of Operation Earnest Will . . . . . .

Operation Earnest Will
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
            I do not think Country like Iran would be so concerned about there economy if there nuclear ambition is attacked. US does have contingency plan but would it be too easy to apply on Iran. Even if they are successful to force Iran on withdrawing the blocked. There would still some risk on Hormuz Strait as Iran might also try to sabotage Oil tankers passing through, resulting economic crisis.
            Last edited by alfa2bravo; 17 Dec 11,, 06:32.

Comment

Not got a nuke yet then?

Comment

alfa2bravo, et al,

This is another one of those pissing contests that the US should stay clear of in any event. This is a Regional Squabble that has an impact on Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE.

The Persian Gulf Nations and the Gulf of Oman/Arabian Sea neighbors don't particularly care for our presence in the area. We should be reducing our footprint, not expanding our (what has proven to be) a very costly endeavor in that area of the world.
                Originally posted by alfa2bravo View Post
                I do not think Country like Iran would be so concerned about there economy if there nuclear ambition is attacked. US does have contingency plan but would it be too easy to apply on Iran. Even if they are successful to force Iran on withdrawing the blocked. There would still some risk on Hormuz Strait as Iran might also try to sabotage Oil tankers passing through, resulting economics crisis.
                (COMMENT)

There is no question that The Persian Gulf Nations and the Gulf of Oman/Arabian Sea neighbors have the money to acquire the resources to protect this little maritime passage. The US doesn't need to get involved unless there is a very clear national security threat and payment for the effort.

We've already spent too much money on them already, and have nothing to show for it; not a single return on the investment.

Most Respectfully,
                R

Comment

The USN bases the Fifth Fleet nearby in Bahrain, its not like they go out of the way to patrol the Straits or the Gulf. Its their area to patrol. We spent so much money in the ME between Kuwait,Iraq,Afghanistan and Pakistan over the last 20 years that if we allow Iran to try to control international waters in that area and dictate who can travel those waters, when they are open and when they are closed then we have truely wasted all of the billions of dollars that went into that region trying to rebuild it. Further, all you will do is give Iran the greenlight for even more agressive actions.
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 16 Dec 11,, 20:19.

Comment

Dreadnought, et al,

Please don't think for a minute that we did NOT waste that money. We did!

Not one of those countries is going to come to our aid - in any substantive way, should be need it.
                    Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                    The USN bases the Fifth Fleet nearby in Bahrain, its not like they go out of the way to patrol the Straits or the Gulf. Its their area to patrol. We spent so much money in the ME between Kuwait,Iraq,Afghanistan and Pakistan over the last 20 years that if we allow Iran to try to control international waters in that area and dictate who can travel those waters, when they are open and when they are closed then we have truely wasted all of the billions of dollars that went into that region trying to rebuild it. Further, all you will do is give Iran the greenlight for even more agressive actions.
                    (COMMENT)

None of the Persian Gulf States or Arabian Sea Neighbors wants us there. The Fifth Fleet is there because we wanted a Naval Support Base in the region, assuming our plans in Iraq worked-out. But they haven't. We could save a lot of money if we abandon the entire region and let the indigenous populations settle their own affairs.

That is just my thought,
                    R

Comment

Sorry but I disagree for too many reasons. Not withstanding our own intrests.

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoR View Post
                        Dreadnought, et al,

Please don't think for a minute that we did NOT waste that money. We did!

Not one of those countries is going to come to our aid - in any substantive way, should be need it.
                        (COMMENT)

None of the Persian Gulf States or Arabian Sea Neighbors wants us there. The Fifth Fleet is there because we wanted a Naval Support Base in the region, assuming our plans in Iraq worked-out. But they haven't. We could save a lot of money if we abandon the entire region and let the indigenous populations settle their own affairs.

That is just my thought,
                        R
                        Well Rocco perhaps that is your view. Many have other views as well. Did we loose money due to carelessness and some bad deals? Yes we did. However that does not negate the gains. I'm not understanding the "our plans " part of that. What is it that you were expecting as far as "our plans"?

*Rocco, the Fifth fleet did not come back into service until 1995. Before then the Seventh fleet foreward stationed to Yokosuka Japan covered the exact same area with a few more editions. This area became too large for them to handle prior to the Gulf War and therefore the USN reinstated the Fifth Fleet.

In every hot spot in the world accessable by water and around our coast lines you will find a USN CVBG. They are there to maintain not only our interests but Maritime Law as well.

IMO, You cannot just turn your back to that area without expecting alot of trouble to come from it. Trouble that in more ways then one effect us. The USN as well as NATO have commitments to that area as well as those that are friendly to our nation.

Would I like to see that kind of money spent here on us? Yes I would and I know I'm not alone but none the less we have commitments. And the majority of them in one way or another are important to our interests.
                        Last edited by Dreadnought; 16 Dec 11,, 23:24.

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoR View Post
                          Dreadnought, et al,
                          None of the Persian Gulf States or Arabian Sea Neighbors wants us there.
                          Au Contraire, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates are positively insistent on your presence.
                          Even if they were not, as S2 has pointed out US prosperity depends on free trade, a cornerstone being unrestricted passage for shipping.
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                            I'm not understanding the "our plans " part of that. What is it that you were expecting as far as "our plans"?
                            Pending Rocco's reply, my understanding from reading Badrakumar's articles is that you wanted to have a more permanent presence in Iraq by way of a military base but Maliki wasn't able to pull it off. The location would have been useful, given its proximity to trouble spots around the area.

Comment

I look at it this way. The job for what they set out for is done. We have spent enough of our Troops lives, their time and our money in both supporting our Troops but also the Iraqi's and Afghanistani's. They were given a chance. Wether or not they take advantage of what they were given is their own problem and not ours. They did not choose to renew a presence that in the past has shown its ok to be on the defensive but not the offensive and not allowed to forego deals made by them with others that cost our Troops lives. Our job is done, we brought them to that threshold and have trained and supplied them. Its their country to run, hopefully they make the right decisions with democratic elections and their own security.

Case closed, help them yes. But do anymore until they do? No, outside of politics and political relations.

Far more then anyone else has ever done for them and we WELCOME our Troops home and a closing of that era in time.

They (Iraq, Afghanistan) have our ear if they wish.

And our Troops, for all they have endured and sacrificed deserve to come home to their families, friends and those that appreciate them more then anyone else ever will and enjoy our way of life for a good long rest and joyous holidays.

I said my peace, and personally dont give a F@%$ about what anyone else says or posts in reply. Amen!
                              Last edited by Dreadnought; 17 Dec 11,, 03:50.

Comment

Working...
                              X