X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Earthquake Hits Turkey

Report: At least 3 killed in Turkey earthquake

AP – 40 mins ago

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkish media reports say at least three people have been killed and more than 50 are trapped in the rubble of a hotel that collapsed after an earthquake struck eastern Turkey.

The 5.7-magnitude quake hit the province of Van, more than two weeks after a 7.2-magnitude earthquake in the same region killed around 600 people.

More than a dozen buildings, including at least one hotel, collapsed following the Wednesday night temblor. Reports say the buildings that collapsed were damaged in the previous earthquake.

Sky Turk television says 11 people were rescued from the debris.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Latest via the BBC

At least three people have been killed by a 5.6 magnitude earthquake which has struck eastern Turkey, bringing down a six-storey hotel and other buildings, Turkish media report.

Haber news channel said at least 18 buildings had collapsed, trapping a large number of people under rubble. The quake's epicentre was near Van province, where an 7.2 earthquake last month killed more than 600 people.

Comment

RIP for the victims and condolences to their families and friends. Hope there are no more then those already reported.

I have a question for Turk posters here. Why the quality of building is so poor? Turkey is not the poorest country around and certainly there are people who can enforce standards. A 6 storey hotel to collapse from 5.6 magnitude is crazy.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        RIP for the victims and condolences to their families and friends. Hope there are no more then those already reported.

I have a question for Turk posters here. Why the quality of building is so poor? Turkey is not the poorest country around and certainly there are people who can enforce standards. A 6 storey hotel to collapse from 5.6 magnitude is crazy.
        As it was in the same area as the last quake perhaps the foundations had been weakened and this may have caused its collapse.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
          As it was in the same area as the last quake perhaps the foundations had been weakened and this may have caused its collapse.
          That can be one of the causes for the collapse of this particular building. But in the last 10 years I recall at least 5 earthquakes in Turkey bellow 7 magnitude with collapsed buildings and casualties.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

That can be one of the causes for the collapse of this particular building. But in the last 10 years I recall at least 5 earthquakes in Turkey bellow 7 magnitude with collapsed buildings and casualties.
            Contractors using inferior building materials is the usual culprit. Underhand scoundrels playing with peoples lives.

Comment

As I said:

Turkey is not the poorest country around and certainly there are people who can enforce standards.
              Haven't heard of anyone being sentenced for negligence at least. Very weird to me.

Comment

Doc,

my first question would be if any of those buildings were weakened by the big quake recently. Were they checked? SHould they have been? Poor standards are certainly possible, especially if they are older. Unfortunately earthquakes don't care if you improved things afterward.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                X