Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US general booted for Afghan remarks

US general booted for Afghan remarks
    'They don't understand the sacrifices that America is making,' he said of Afghan leaders
    US general booted for Afghan remarks - World news - South and Central Asia - Afghanistan - msnbc.com

WASHINGTON — A top U.S. general in Afghanistan was relieved of duty Friday for "inappropriate public comments" after calling the Afghan government "isolated from reality" and President Hamid Karzai "erratic."

Maj. Gen. Peter Fuller, deputy commander for training Afghan security forces, blasted the Afghan government, military and Karzai in an interview with POLITICO published on Thursday.

He called Karzai "erratic" for recently saying Afghanistan would side with Pakistan if the latter declared war on the U.S.

"Why don’t you just poke me in the eye with a needle!," Fuller was quoted as saying. "You’ve got to be kidding me … I’m sorry, we just gave you $11.6 billion and now you’re telling me, 'I don’t really care'?"

Fuller also said he had trouble explaining to Afghan officials that Western funds were limited. "You guys are isolated from reality" he said he told Afghan generals. "If you're in a very poor country like Afghanistan, you think that America has roads paved in gold, everybody lives in Hollywood."

"I actually had someone senior tell me, 'All I want to do is put them [tanks] on a flat bed and drive them around in a parade'," he added.

Fuller said Afghan leaders "don't understand the sacrifices that America is making to provide for their security. And I think that's part of my job to educate 'em."

Fuller was relieved of duty by the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John Allen.

"The Afghan people are an honorable people, and comments such as these will not keep us from accomplishing our most critical and shared mission: bringing about a stable, peaceful and prosperous Afghanistan," Allen said in a statement.
    Story: Cash flows, but can Afghan training legacy last?

It was not clear what Fuller would do next, but such disciplinary action usually ends military careers.

In June 2010, Gen. Stanley McChrystal resigned as the top U.S. officer in Afghanistan after disparaging remarks about civilian bosses in a Rolling Stone magazine article. He retired from the Army a month later and went on to teach at Yale University.
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

He's been booted for putting these ungrateful arrogant ignorant people in the picture.

"He called Karzai "erratic" for recently saying Afghanistan would side with Pakistan if the latter declared war on the U.S". Astonishing statement. He's damn lucky the General didn't pull his pistol and shoot the ingrate in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
      He's been booted for putting these ungrateful arrogant ignorant people in the picture.

"He called Karzai "erratic" for recently saying Afghanistan would side with Pakistan if the latter declared war on the U.S". Astonishing statement. He's damn lucky the General didn't pull his pistol and shoot the ingrate in the head.
      Thats very British of you. Why the hell hasn't someone bumped the guy off yet? A good old assassination or two...
      Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
        Thats very British of you. Why the hell hasn't someone bumped the guy off yet? A good old assassination or two...
        Chunder, I found it more than irritating that an ungrateful president could even utter those shocking words "Afghanistan would side with Pakistan if the latter declared war on the U.S" and then have the General removed for saying Karzai was 'erratic'. I would think most of our Servicemen killed in Afghanistan were killed by terrorist trained, armed and given safe haven in Pakistan so to me that was the ultimate insult. I'm sure Gen Fuller was knocked off his feet at what was said and I think he restrained himself with his, what I would call, mild reply.

Pres. Obama should be seething and demand an apology. Every family who has lost a son, daughter, brother or sister husband or wife should get an unreserved apology. To think my son fought in that land then to hear that leader side with a Country that supplied his friends killers makes my blood boil.

Comment

Before a Senate hearing on Thursday, Admiral Mullen stated definitively that Pakistani intelligence was supporting militant extremists in Afghanistan as they launch attacks on US forces there.

BBC News - Mullen mauling shows patience wearing thin with Pakistan

Comment

The fine servicemen went to that country uninvited. Just saying.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
              The fine servicemen went to that country uninvited. Just saying.
              The fine servicemen went because they were ordered there. As we all know it's politicians who start wars and after lots of bloodshed they eventually sit around a table and come to a solution. They should try the last part first in my opinion.

Comment

It is obvious that the politicians didn't done the homework well. Karzai was supported all the way to come back with that statement. Huh?

It's about time to solve Karzai. Send Clinton to Kabul.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  It is obvious that the politicians didn't done the homework well. Karzai was supported all the way to come back with that statement. Huh?

It's about time to solve Karzai. Send Clinton to Kabul.
                  Send both Clintons to Kabul, and keep 'em there!
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Send ALL the bastard politicos(I know I repeat myself) to S&E A-stan and make them clear IED's.On foot. 2 targets hit for just one trip.

Karzai was actually a decent man in his first years as Pres. and even more decent in his exile.A living proof of the ancient wisdom that power corrupts.
                    To be honest,I refuse to be annoyed,surprised or otherwise impressed by anything related to the collective leadership of the Western world in general and the conduct of the war in A-stan in particular.My nerve cells are numerous,but finite.Their stupidity,lack of honor and dignity,cowardice, deviousness and shamelesness are however in infinite supply.They'll win this if I fight in their terms.
                    Those who know don't speak
                    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

So ehm, hypothetically, what would happen if the international community drew out of afghanistan tomorrow? I wonder how karzai will respond to that.
                      "Football is war."

-Rinus Michels

Comment

Get a plane,send the clan to Dubai.Stay for a while to see how's the wind.If it gets stormy,get another plane and fly to Dubai.That he'll remain to the end would be folly.Pakistani and the Talibs won't have him,neither the NA.There is however a good possibility that he's out of his minds enough to stay and end tortured to death.
                        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

What Fuller reacted to is simply the latest in a long series of erraticisms from the mouth of Karzai. Our latest response, Fuller's relief, is just another case of our government enabling this nonsensical behavior at great human and financial cost to our nation. Karzai has said plenty already. He shall say more in time. It is his nature. Our nature is to punish those whom accurately claim the emperor has no clothes.

We rail at a military hierarchy abounding in careerists. Here's why. Fuller likely has his 20 years and shall be retired. If an omission of judgement before a reporter then he'll suffer the consequences attendant with commentary worthy of drawing the attention and ire of his superiors. You may bet that those with less than 20 years will hold their tongues before a journalist/reporter.

Where to speak freely? In an academic tome with your thoughts well-buried deep in text supported and footnoted for personal protection. Short of that, the green machine owns your azz. Never, ever forget it.
                          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

''The king may have my head after the battle,but as long as it's going on I'll rather use it''.

Nothing new under the sun,Sir.That crap is eternal.So is the waste of blood for nothing.Officers don't mix with politics,openly.But they also have a duty not to suffer idiocy in silence to the end.
                            There is a rift between the civilian leadership duties towards its soldiers and the reality.Generals getting the boot for talking too much ain't the solution,but the tip of the iceberg.

Only now things turn into something worrisome.

There was an apocriphal saying of a Roman centurion of the 3d Augusta:if our bones will bleach the desert for nothing,Rome should tremble at the wrath of the legions.

Historically this dilemma had 2 possible outcomes.Either the legions turn on ''Rome'' or ''Rome'' finds no legion for the next war.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                              Chunder, I found it more than irritating that an ungrateful president could even utter those shocking words "Afghanistan would side with Pakistan if the latter declared war on the U.S"

Pres. Obama should be seething and demand an apology. Every family who has lost a son, daughter, brother or sister husband or wife should get an unreserved apology. To think my son fought in that land then to hear that leader side with a Country that supplied his friends killers makes my blood boil.
                              Dave - Karzai has been an ungrateful 2 sided despot known to say things that indicate a shit outcome for years now. It doesn't make my bloody boil because I expect the dregs of retarded rhetoric to be espoused by someone who already has long since compromised himself.

He should have been bumped off years ago.
                              Ego Numquam

Comment

Working...
                              X