USS Hornet blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
    The ship's bell is on the hanger deck? Is it located there for ease of maintenance?
    The original position for the Ship's Bell on an Essex Class carrier was up in the fo'c'sle before the hurricane bow went on. After that it was moved to the starboard front corner of the ships. We have another bell up there because that is what we had many years ago. The bell you see, the original bell, was privately owned by a man back East. Took 5 years to track down and another two years to pry it from the owner's hands. How he got it no one knows. Consequently it stays right where you saw it in the picture.

Also back in that time we tracked down the Forward Gun Controller that goes up on the Island. It was found in the Midwest. Once again how it ended up there is anybodies guess. At around 20 tons it was too expensive to get back to the ship.

Comment

• Here we are breaking down the drill press seen earlier. Base, drill head and radial arm assembly. Base and drill head went down the smaller midship bomb elevator. Radial arm assembly goes down the large forward bomb elevator in Hanger 1. Tom gets the base into place using the in place chain hoists around the machine shop. Bigger than the original so Tom needed to source extra metal blocks for the extra length at $1200 for those gold pieces in the back of the last picture. I asked him why gold and he said because they are equal to gold in value.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Next group showing the radial arm going down the forward bomb elevator. Filmed it to but being an amateur I need to figure out how to get it online in the next few days.

On Sunday will post pictures of the installation off a part off the HP Air Compressor down on Deck 4 O2N2 compartment. Because of water contamination two parts need to be rebuilt. Until then no Elevator 1 as this pump powers the transfer of oil between the large high pressure and low pressure cylinders down on Deck 6-7.
        Attached Files

Comment

• What's in a number .....

13-ton anchor or 20-ton gun controller .... it's just a number ....
          Bring it home!

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
          The original position for the Ship's Bell on an Essex Class carrier was up in the fo'c'sle before the hurricane bow went on. After that it was moved to the starboard front corner of the ships. We have another bell up there because that is what we had many years ago. The bell you see, the original bell, was privately owned by a man back East. Took 5 years to track down and another two years to pry it from the owner's hands. How he got it no one knows. Consequently it stays right where you saw it in the picture.

Also back in that time we tracked down the Forward Gun Controller that goes up on the Island. It was found in the Midwest. Once again how it ended up there is anybodies guess. At around 20 tons it was too expensive to get back to the ship.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
            13-ton anchor or 20-ton gun controller .... it's just a number ....
            Bring it home!
            No money back then. Then money, no debt, but don't know what happened in the interim. Now back to no money once again and now debt.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
              Yes, the one and only
              I recognized him from the last time we were onboard. We were in the chow line (when you do the Group Overnight thing, they serve you dinner in the Crew's Mess), and the 3rd Deck machine shop is right behind the kitchen; Tom was in there doing something with the drill press and the lathe (isn't he always?).
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• As I said there was also the HP compressor that was being worked on. So let's go where it is located. Down the main passageway from amidships past frame 50. Turn left to the hatch for the Port Cat Compartment. Forward to the hatch, between beer and gin, leading down to 4th deck under the Cat Compartment.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Now looking aft we can see a hatch with a green X on it. Turn left into the hatch, watching your head, and you are now in the trunk that runs from 3rd deck down to 9th deck. The part we remove we come to here and go up to the 3rd deck hatch from here. Turning right we see the hatch for the O2N2 Compartment. Entering there is a large unloader valve in the center surrounded by various control panels.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Turn left and there is the compressor room. Again duck your head for what it is worth. When down there this Wednesday I managed to hit my head eight times on an assortment of overhead obstacles. Enough so I couldn't comb my hair much on Thursday morning, too sore. I know hard hat which none of us wear on this ship. Actually need the slip in from Amazon for the ball cap. So in this room you can see some guys at work putting in the #1 heat exchanger.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• This exchanger is on the back side, if you will, between the compressor and the bulkhead plus piping. Our friend in blue tried to get in behind to put four 13/16" nuts on but almost got stuck. Being the only one with a certified 32" waist I went around and easily walked in behind the compressor to deal with the nuts. After that it was lunch time. Coming back after lunch the exchanger on the easy side came out and needed to be hauled out, up and back to the machine shop for rebuilding. Compressor is water cooled and we had water intrusion that needed to be dealt with. On Wednesday, at 1000 hours, I was back there to chase all the threads to the studs on the compressor and the nuts so everything screwed on like silk. Since I hate dirty working areas the deck needed to be vacuumed and all the oil wiped up so you could sit down confidently. It and the first compartment are now ship shape. By 1500 hours it was time for lunch on Wednesday and then up to the O9 level for more paint scraping till 1930.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                        As I said there was also the HP compressor that was being worked on. So let's go where it is located. Down the main passageway from amidships past frame 50. Turn left to the hatch for the Port Cat Compartment. Forward to the hatch, between beer and gin, leading down to 4th deck under the Cat Compartment.
                        So THAT'S where that hatch goes! I've been down in the Port Cat Compartment a couple of times on docent tours; the trick question here is which accumulator is "spelled wrong".
                        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Here...
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Landing optical system restored and fully operational now. Need to put in back panel replacement as old rusted one was removed.

LSO platform 90% restored. One more instrument panel being restored in a former LSO's garage.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Desk in O2N2 compressor compartment. Note pages for phone numbers, under original clear plastic, to different areas of the ship.

Mount 54 now uncovered. Need pigeon netting as this is apparently pigeon HQ on the ship.

Gun director for Mount 54.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Since it was wet outside today I had to stay inside and work the O9 level that has been off and on for the last two years. After scraping off more newer poorly applied paint I hit bare metal on the overhead especially around the mast. Mast extends down into the O9 level. Overhead work with a paint scraper is fun stuff :(

After exposing bare metal here and around the one port hole I hit it with Corroseal to kill and convert the rust last Sunday. Twenty four hours to cure and so today the red oxide oil base primer. Couldn't find my air filter mask and so as not to waste time went up and painted. So far no headaches tonight and damn I missed a spot...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X