Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 5 Years, Kidnapped IDF Soldier Gilad Schalit Might Be Freed

Report: Shalit deal on verge of realization

Cabinet holds urgent session to discuss deal meant to secure release of Hamas-held IDF soldier. Saudi-owned Al Arabiya TV says Hamas agreed to deal; notes prisoner exchange may take place as early as November
    Attila Somfalvi

Is the Shalit deal within grasp? Saudi Arabia's Al-Arabiya TV reported Tuesday that Egypt has made a breakthrough in its mediation of a deal meant to secure the release of kidnapped IDF soldier Gilad Shalit, and that such an exchange may take place as early as November.

An Israeli official confirmed that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has convened his cabinet to discuss the prisoner exchange deal that would bring the Hamas-held soldier back home.

The prisoner swap would see Shalit exchanged for some 1,000 Palestinian militants held by Israel.

"The exchange deal of Palestinian prisoners for Shalit (will be) implemented at the beginning of this November, with Egyptian mediation," the television channel said, citing unnamed sources. It did not give further details.

Hamas' Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades Abu Ubeida said: "We are in the process of completing the technical arrangements to complete the deal within days."

A Hamas delegation led by a top Hamas official, Mahmoud Zahar, arrived in Cairo on Monday night from the group's headquarters in Syria. Gaza sources told Reuters that the swap may even take place "within the next few days."

Noam Shalit, Gilad's father, confirmed that the family was notified of the cabinet meeting. He gave no further details.

The cabinet is expected to vote on the deal later Tuesday night. Jerusalem sources told Ynet that it was "highly likely" that the cabinet would approve the deal by a majority vote.

Netanyahu's special eight-minister forum discussed the deal on Sunday and had apparently agreed on all of the deal's main points.

Shalit was captured in June 2006 in a cross-border raid by Palestinians terrorists near the Kerem Shalom crossing.

Elior Levy, Ahiya Raved, AP and Reuters contributed to this report
    I'm approaching this one with mixed feelings. On the one hand, of course we want him back. On the other hand, is the price worth it? Of course, this could all be yet another disappointment. I'll wait for firm and concrete details and results first
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    Report: Shalit deal on verge of realization

I'm approaching this one with mixed feelings. On the one hand, of course we want him back. On the other hand, is the price worth it? Of course, this could all be yet another disappointment. I'll wait for firm and concrete details and results first
    I think the point of contention is who will be released. If the swap is against Palestinian 'stone throwers', i think its ok. But if its against cold blooded killers, then its another issue.

Comment

Stone throwers?

I would bet the logic is IDF soldiers are cold blooded killers. From Hamas/Hezbollah's pov o/c
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Take a good look, Terrorism in its political form at its best.

1,000 that are locked up legally via the Court of Law and one that is kidnapped.

Still want to recognize these idiots?
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Zinja View Post
          I think the point of contention is who will be released. If the swap is against Palestinian 'stone throwers', i think its ok. But if its against cold blooded killers, then its another issue.
          If you lock up 1000 'stone throwers' for a long time when they are released you will have 1000 militants. It's a tough one for the Cabinet to decide and I'm sure it was not be a hasty decision.

Comment

Talk at the moment is plenty bastards with blood on their hands, including Ahmad Sa'adat, the leader of the PFLP and the man responsible for the murder of MK Rehevam Ze'evi, Minister of Tourism, and Marwan Bargouti, founder and leader of the Tanzim, and the man believed to be the leading force behind the first and second Intifadas
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Talk at the moment is plenty bastards with blood on their hands, including Ahmad Sa'adat, the leader of the PFLP and the man responsible for the murder of MK Rehevam Ze'evi, Minister of Tourism, and Marwan Bargouti, founder and leader of the Tanzim, and the man believed to be the leading force behind the first and second Intifadas
              I think releasing known killers back to their lair to breed yet more killers is a definite no-no. Sad for the kidnapped soldier but for the safety of many others these murderers should never be released.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                I think releasing known killers back to their lair to breed yet more killers is a definite no-no. Sad for the kidnapped soldier but for the safety of many others these murderers should never be released.
                That's why many here object to the deal. Like I said, I'm not quite sure which side I fall down on yet

Comment

I know it makes no strategic sense but make the deal anyway....just for the family of the soldier.

And next time when these 1,000 idiots do something out of line, don't make the mistake of capturing them again.

Put two in the head.
                  Last edited by YellowFever; 12 Oct 11,, 02:34.

Comment

Not according to this

Comment

He said the released would include 315 prisoners serving life sentences, suggesting they were convicted of attacks that caused the deaths of Israelis.
                      It is not the first time, but still this is contrary to anything common sense tells you it is right.

Ben if you or some of your friends for whatever reason ends up in jail, just kidnap a soldier and you will get released. If they trial you for kidnaping that soldier, don't worry, your friends will kidnap 2 more, so your whole city will get out of the jail.

Madness

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Zinja View Post
                        Not according to this
                        There weren't many firm details at first. Israel was pretty much forced into this position by the Palestinians leaking it to the Saudi press. Once they published it, Israel had to play ball or be labeled the reason the deal fell through

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          It is not the first time, but still this is contrary to anything common sense tells you it is right.

Ben if you or some of your friends for whatever reason ends up in jail, just kidnap a soldier and you will get released. If they trial you for kidnaping that soldier, don't worry, your friends will kidnap 2 more, so your whole city will get out of the jail.

Madness
                          Why do you think many oppose this deal? Especially since numbers have shown that terrorists with blood on their hands that were released went on to bring about another 30 Israeli deaths, if I remember the number correctly

Comment

IDK why is there a deal in the first place.

What happened with we don't negotiate with terrorists?

Comment

Trust me, getting into the intricacies and the politics take a lot more effort than I'm willing to type out at the moment. No offense...

Comment

Working...
                              X