Bullpups: Wave of the Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aussiegunner View Post
    No probs with recoil from my experience, but then the Steyr is only 5.56mm so there shouldn't be really. I don't know what a 7.62 bullpup would be like in recoil, but I don't like the idea of doing a lot of firing with the chamber so close to my head. Sounds like a perfect way to come out of a firefight deaf!

Maybe not a problem but what does it feel like.

As an example the C-7 which is pretty much the same as the M16 on a single shot gives a little tiny bounce to the muzzle. Even a burst seemed pretty easy to control. Keeping in mind at the time I didn't get a lot of ammo to go full auto much, no army budget in Canada 1998.

Anyway; it felt and reacted exactly the same to me as when I used to fire WWII era .303 Lee Enfield converted to a .22 at the range. I was shocked to be honest. The Lee Enfield has a lot more weight to it as well.
    Originally posted by GVChamp
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by Repatriated Canuck View Post
      Maybe not a problem but what does it feel like.

As an example the C-7 which is pretty much the same as the M16 on a single shot gives a little tiny bounce to the muzzle. Even a burst seemed pretty easy to control. Keeping in mind at the time I didn't get a lot of ammo to go full auto much, no army budget in Canada 1998.

Anyway; it felt and reacted exactly the same to me as when I used to fire WWII era .303 Lee Enfield converted to a .22 at the range. I was shocked to be honest. The Lee Enfield has a lot more weight to it as well.
      I've never fired an M-16 but a tiny little bounce at the barrel is pretty much what you feel with a Steyr. We went on a yippee shoot down at the range once where we put a load of tracer downrange at night on full auto (amongst other things at different times such as 9mm, Minimi, M-79, grenades and 84mm Carl Gustaf rounds). Apart from looking really, really cool like Star Wars the other notable thing was that the rounds all went where we aimed them. After a couple of mags the barrel gave me a bit of a burn on the hand though ....
      "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Does the generalization of bullpups being more individually expensive compared to conventional weapons still hold true even today when they're more common nowadays?
        "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
          not exactly a hunting rifle, but yea technically it is a bullpup, thou damn long one.

there is also srs, but it is not a hunting rifle either.

but wait there is more, just found, this guy

Lets see the firearm collection..... - Page 973

i guess thereis more of them than i thought, but still very few.
          At risk of stating what is probably already obvious to you...
          Bolt actions have been designed to manage leaked propellant gas (high velocity, pressurized, and hot) from a failed cartridge case or primer, to slow it, allow it to expand, and to deflect it safely away from the shooter. So such a bolt action designed for use in a conventional rifle and later repurposed to a bullpup will necessarily relocate the shooters face relative to that bolt, and maybe place some portion if the shooter's head where that gas may vent. If the adaption includes a feature that defelects those flows, maybe including a deflector within a raised cheek piece, then the issue might be moot. I am not seeing anything like that in the picture.
          Last edited by JRT; 21 Nov 11,, 06:11.

Comment

Waffen Greger does bullpup conversions to Browning semi-auto sporting rifles, up to. 300 WinMag.

Waffen Greger - Jagdbedarf / Angelbedarf / Onlineshop

And below is the Kushnapup conversion of the Saiga-12 shotgun.

http://www.kushnapup.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saiga-12

Last edited by JRT; 21 Nov 11,, 01:18. Reason: added Kushnapup

Comment

Never got the chance to fire a bullpup though. Trained on the 7.62 SLR and my unit converted to the INSAS by 1997.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
              X