Saudi Artillery Shopping Spree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saudi Artillery Shopping Spree

Looks like Saudi has decided to spend some money on its Artillery capabilities.

From teh DSCA Notification to Congress:

"The Government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has requested a possible sale for 36 M777A2 Howitzers, 54 M119A2 Howitzers, 6 AN/TPQ-36(V) Fire Finder Radar Systems, 24 Advanced Field Artillery Tactical Data Systems (AFATDS), 17,136 rounds M107 155mm High Explosive (HE) ammunition, 2,304 rounds M549 155mm Rocket Assisted Projectiles (RAPs), 60 M1165A1 High Mobility Multipurpose Vehicles (HMMWVs), 120 M1151A1 HMMWVs, 252 M1152A1 HMMWVs, Export Single Channel Ground And Airborne Radio Systems (SINCGARS), electronic support systems, 105mm ammunition, various wheeled/tracked support vehicles, spare and repair parts, technical manuals and publications, translation services, training, USG and contractor technical assistance, and other related elements of logistical and program support. The estimated cost is $886 million."

Link: http://www.dsca.mil/PressReleases/36...abia_10-74.pdf

No mention of Excalibur Projectiles though (this does not surprise me), I am surprised however that they are getting AFATDS.

Regards

Arty
    "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

My question is the equipment going to the Saudi Army or National Guard...
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

500 rounds per gun? They're apparently not expecting to use them in anything but training...

(yes, i know - the Saudis already have towed 155mm guns and ammunition)

What precisely costs almost 900 million Dollar in that deal btw? Is AFATDS that overpriced? Or do they sell Hummers for a million a piece now?
      Last edited by kato; 30 Sep 11,, 22:46.

Comment

Those version of HMMWVs are close to that....specially reinforced. And yes AFATDS is expensive. And I a
        sure there are integration, spare parts and logistics support tied to the entire package
        Mark Twain

Comment

My understanding is that this is for the National Guard Units of the Saudi Armed Forces, but I neeeed to confirm that.

Regarding the costs, lets just say that the actual "Harware costs" make up about 50% to 60% of the procurement cost stated. The remainder is for:

"spare and repair parts, technical manuals and publications, translation services, training, USG and contractor technical assistance, and other related elements of logistical and program support."

Regards

Arty
          "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            Those version of HMMWVs are close to that....specially reinforced.
            I come up with a price of $70,962.65 per M1151/M1152; that's well short of $1M each.
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

I'd LOVE to watch a Saudi FA battalion's motor pool recovery after an LFX.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Wow quite a shopping cart. I think I'd spend that much money differently - perhaps it would be enough to retire in the Milwaukee room on USS Wisconsin BB64.

I'd guess there are some salespeople somewhere celebrating this deal.:mocan:
                sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Gentlemen,

Just for education, in the US which Brigades use the M-777?

As far as I read, in the western militaries, the Units designated as an Infantry Brigade Combat Team and Airborne units use the M-119 to keep up ther light fighter image. As we saw, the M-777s were used quite universally in Afghanistan.

Two more questions -
                  Which Brigades use the Paladin? Also, is the M-198m phased out or still in active service?
                  sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                    I come up with a price of $70,962.65 per M1151/M1152; that's well short of $1M each.
                    Not when you throw the AFATDS shelter on it!!!

And Arty, not to be too picky, but the Saudi National Guard is outside of the Saudi Armed Forces. The respond directly to the King through one of the senior crown princes. The are for regime survival more than anything but can be used in conflict with other countries (see Gulf War). That was why I asked...not seeing a corresponding build up on the Saudi Army side.
                    Last edited by Albany Rifles; 01 Oct 11,, 17:09.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

M-777 are used in USMC service and in the Fires Brigades in the US force structure as well as the DS battalion in the Stryker brigades. These are outside of the IBCT structure. But who knows for the future.

The Paladins M109A6s are used in the fires battalion in the HBCTs and also in the Fires Brigades.

And I believe the BOIP is to displace the M198s with M777s. I know we have already sold some M198s to the Iraqis.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Albany

The US Gov has just ardered another 70 M777's to start putting them into the IBCT's to provide an Organic 155mm capability.

Link: Howitzer order saves 380 jobs at BAE plant - Telegraph

They are not replacing any of the M119A2 but are in addition to them. I do not know how the battalion structure will evolve to absorb them. The sensible thing I feel is to add an additional battery rather then putting a platoon of M777 into teh existing batteries.

But we shall see what actually happens.

Regards

Arty

Comment

I'm thinking eight gun M777 battery packages. Nine all told that can be packaged into three battalions if need be by rounding out an DS arty HHB/Svc btry (to include a battalion FDC and FIST component). Increase the MTOE/TDA personnel authorizations for M119 batteries so that an adequate in-house augmentation exists and then periodically rotate those units through the newly-established equipment sets for FTX/LFXs to maintain proficiency.
                          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The additional battery may come within the force structure if/when we reduce the numbers of BCTs...thsi will allow us to add a battery per battalion.

I recall back in the murky past the light forces had a 155 battery GS at the DIVARTY level...am I mistaken?

I am intrigues if the FA can do like the infantry did with the 120mm mortar/81 mm mortar. A mortar platoon would have both but use whichever METT-T called for. It was called the arms room concept. Not sure if it still used.

All that said, I think its a great idea...a great weapon system.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

[Envy]Big Time[/Envy]
                              sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Working...
                              X