BB news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly TopHat,
    Now tell me thats not an impressive shot of Iowa. And to see them turn slightly so you can see they're marking numbers (Hull) on the side and the stern area at one time suggests to most "You dont want to f*** with this ship....lol
    I actually have the same pic (poster size) that I gave to my father for his den wall since he served on Iowa in 44.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought
      Exactly TopHat,
      Now tell me thats not an impressive shot of Iowa. And to see them turn slightly so you can see they're marking numbers (Hull) on the side and the stern area at one time suggests to most "You dont want to f*** with this ship....lol
      I actually have the same pic (poster size) that I gave to my father for his den wall since he served on Iowa in 44.
      LOL, I always thought that even just a glimpse of a battleship screamed "Don't even THINK about f**king with me!"

I'd loooove to have a poster sized....um, poster of that pic. *green with envy*
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I had the distinct pleasure of seeing an Iowa at three different times under way. Once was transiting the med or the pond going to the Med. I was on the JFK and one of the Iowas was steaming along side what I seem to remember was the Ike. I also was parked next to the New Jersey during the unveiling of the Statue of Liberty on July 4, 1986 in New York Harbor. That was a party like you have never seen. The last time unfortunately was in Rosie Roads. We were at a missile shoot when the Iowa blew up. They towed her to Puerto Rico and we saw her briefly.
        "Now we shall have ourselves a pell mell battle!" ......The Immortal Memory, Admiral Nelson

Comment

Here's one for you TopHatter.. I took this shot among many others about this time last year. From sitting in Halsey's very chair on the Admirals Bridge on The Big "J" YEA HA !
          [IMG]jpeg[/IMG]
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's one for you TopHatter.. I took this shot among many others about this time last year. From sitting in Halsey's very chair on the Admirals Bridge on The Big "J" YEA HA !
            [IMG]jpeg[/IMG]
            Day-um! That is a fantastic shot. I always loved the Iowa's tapered bow
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I have some really good shots of her I just have to scan them and would be glad to share so long as we keep this thread going. Trust me when I say this myself and a friend spent a few hours on her and she is in outstanding condition. We toured down to the first platform (1 deck under broadway) The turrents, Turbine spaces etc including inside the 5" mounts. I cant see how they could possibly say the other two are in better condition. This remains to be seen and trust me I WILL see...lol
              Last edited by Dreadnought; 29 Jun 05,, 17:42.

Comment

The steering bridge aboard BB62 note: The narrow vision slits for the helmsman. According to theory with the armor surrounding the steering bridge she could take quite a few direct hits of virtually any sized shell and never become "a dead stick". A unique feature of the Iowa Class Battleships. Also note you dont see very many pictures of this particular space. ;)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 18 Jul 05,, 17:56.

Comment

And ofcourse as TopHatter mentioned previous the CIWS system outline..
                  Attached Files

Comment

In comparrison with my post #37 this is Missouri's (BB63) steering bridge however from an opposite angle. Note the vision slits for the Helmsman and the colors are different on the wheels among other things that stand out. ;)
                    Attached Files

Comment

In comparrison with my post #37 this is Missouri's (BB63) steering bridge however from an opposite angle. Note the vision slits for the Helmsman and the colors are different on the wheels among other things that stand out. ;)
                      Good shots but may I be picky and point out that this is actually SECONDARY conning station inside the armored Fire Control (FC) station. Though on the 04 level bridge, the helmsman's sight was very limited and often had to steer by commands from someone outside where all the large windows were. This was often done when coming into port with the Captain or the Harbor Pilot yelling directions to the helmsman through the open slits.

The PRIMARY conning station was up on 08 level on the front of the "citadel" Fire Control tower that supported the FC Radar for the turrets.

I know it seems backwards, but because of the low vision through the armor (19 inches thick of Class B with a 7.25 inch thick Class B top) the higher primary conn had a much better view of the battle group they were with. Actually because of the higher view it would have been better for Harbor traffic but it is a very small deckhouse protruding out forward with a narrow walking platform around the sides of the tower.

Oh yes, you also had "local" control way back aft and 4 decks down in the after steering rooms, also surrounded by armor.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
                        Good shots but may I be picky and point out that this is actually SECONDARY conning station inside the armored Fire Control (FC) station. Though on the 04 level bridge, the helmsman's sight was very limited and often had to steer by commands from someone outside where all the large windows were. This was often done when coming into port with the Captain or the Harbor Pilot yelling directions to the helmsman through the open slits.

The PRIMARY conning station was up on 08 level on the front of the "citadel" Fire Control tower that supported the FC Radar for the turrets.

I know it seems backwards, but because of the low vision through the armor (19 inches thick of Class B with a 7.25 inch thick Class B top) the higher primary conn had a much better view of the battle group they were with. Actually because of the higher view it would have been better for Harbor traffic but it is a very small deckhouse protruding out forward with a narrow walking platform around the sides of the tower.

Oh yes, you also had "local" control way back aft and 4 decks down in the after steering rooms, also surrounded by armor.
                        If im not mistaken Iowa has a bridge one deck higher then the other three since she was fitted as a class flagship? So conn should be one level higher as well correct?

Comment

Originally posted by rickusn
                          AFAIK the provision in the House bill transferring title of the USS Iowa has survived. Im still trying to confirm this.

Look who is behind the USS Wisconsin transfer. Surprise, Surprise. Follow the money and the power.:

Bill would allow transfer of ownership for USS Wisconsin
                          By KATE WILTROUT, The Virginian-Pilot
                          © May 28, 2005

A bill pending in the Senate would allow the Navy to transfer ownership of the battleship Wisconsin as long as the ship stays in Virginia.

Moored next to Nauticus in downtown Norfolk since 2000 , the 887 -foot ship is maintained by the Navy and could be called back into service.

That would change with a provision that U.S. Sen. John Warner, chairman of the armed services committee, added to the defense authorization bill for fiscal year 2006 .

Warner’s provision would remove the ship from the Navy’s register of vessels.

“The intent of the legislation is that it remain in place as a valuable attraction for tourism in Norfolk,” Warner spokesman John Ullyot said .

Ullyot said the senator was approached by local community officials who wanted to assume control of the ship.

About 120,000 people visited the ship in 2003.

Only its deck is open to the public; its internal space is sealed off.

The Navy spends $675,000 to maintain the Wisconsin each year, according to Cmdr. Herman Phillips of Naval Sea Systems Command.
                          Okay somethillng sounds amiss here I was on another site (U.S.N.F.S.A.) and was reading an article by R. A. Landgraff . In which he writes " When an organization requests donation of a ship , the Navy sends back a letter listing repuirements and restrictions should that organization be granted the ship." Mr. Landgraff says that the letter also states that the "organization must keep the ship in shape and not do any modifications that would prevent it from being recalled to service." Is this legislation designed to circumvent these restrictions? I'd really like to know.

Comment

Originally posted by D-Wray
                            Okay somethillng sounds amiss here I was on another site (U.S.N.F.S.A.) and was reading an article by R. A. Landgraff . In which he writes " When an organization requests donation of a ship , the Navy sends back a letter listing repuirements and restrictions should that organization be granted the ship." Mr. Landgraff says that the letter also states that the "organization must keep the ship in shape and not do any modifications that would prevent it from being recalled to service." Is this legislation designed to circumvent these restrictions? I'd really like to know.
                            D-Wray,
                            FYI The very man to ask is right here "Rustybattleship" aka (R.A.Landgraff) ;)

Comment

If im not mistaken Iowa has a bridge one deck higher then the other three since she was fitted as a class flagship? So conn should be one level higher as well correct?
                              You are partly correct. The heavily armored fire control and conning tower of Iowa was three decks high of 19-inch thick Class B armor. But the extra deck went DOWN to almost the 03 level. The top of the tower was the same on all four ships and that was about four feet above 05 level. On the other three ships, the bottom level of the tower was replaced by an extra foundation.
                              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
                                You are partly correct. The heavily armored fire control and conning tower of Iowa was three decks high of 19-inch thick Class B armor. But the extra deck went DOWN to almost the 03 level. The top of the tower was the same on all four ships and that was about four feet above 05 level. On the other three ships, the bottom level of the tower was replaced by an extra foundation.

Thanks Mr. Langraff. Alot of these tech questions i will be able to answer and look real close at one since I have become a volunteer member of Battleship New Jersey. If you ever visit please let me know I would like to meet you.

Comment

Working...
                                X