Iowa Class sighting - New X-Men Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa Class sighting - New X-Men Movie

Saw the trailer on TV tonight, looks like the next X-Men movie takes place during the early 60s, and I spotted at least one Iowa class battleship in it. If you view this trailer, take a look at approximately 1:29 and you'll see it. Kind of ironic given that there were no active Iowas in the early 60s. I have to imagine someone on the production team was a battleship lover for one to be included.

Anyways, seeing the guns fire on the silverscreen, along with theater sound, should make the movie worth seeing...

They actually filmed an X-men episode here where I live on Jekyll Island about six months ago.

Comment

Turrets\barbettes do not look right, hull sides are round, gun barrels are not right. At least to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
        Turrets\barbettes do not look right, hull sides are round, gun barrels are not right. At least to me.
        On quick glance it reminded me more of South Dakota class

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
          On quick glance it reminded me more of South Dakota class
          Look closer, the BB in frame 1:29 is carrying 2 CIWS down the Port side.

Have to remember these are computer generated images.

Another thing to notice is the Russian missle cruiser showing the shipwrecks on the Port side.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
            They actually filmed an X-men episode here where I live on Jekyll Island about six months ago.
            That would explain alot Mrs Hyde.;)

Comment

That is a pretty well done CGI of an Iowa class BB. The CIWS mounts are in the right spot. The enclosed bridge is perfect except it dosen't show the 35 foot twin whip antennas above it. Well it sort of shows them but they are far too close together.

The main turrets appear to have a little too much angle. The rangefinder ears on Turret II are missing. Turret I only shows one cover for a gun sight and it's too far aft. On the real ship there are two on each side.
              Last edited by RustyBattleship; 10 May 11,, 18:03.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                Look closer, the BB in frame 1:29 is carrying 2 CIWS down the Port side.

Have to remember these are computer generated images.

Another thing to notice is the Russian missle cruiser showing the shipwrecks on the Port side.
                No problem. It's not like I'm going to go see the movie. Not into science fiction, regular life is strange enough.

Comment

When they show the BB, look in the background, I see BB-62.

Comment

yea, i was going to say I thought I saw a second battleship in the background. I'm not a huge fan of the superhero movies, but I've seen most of the X-Men ones and havent regretted sitting through any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by eocoolj View Post
                      Saw the trailer on TV tonight, looks like the next X-Men movie takes place during the early 60s, and I spotted at least one Iowa class battleship in it. If you view this trailer, take a look at approximately 1:29 and you'll see it. Kind of ironic given that there were no active Iowas in the early 60s. I have to imagine someone on the production team was a battleship lover for one to be included.

Anyways, seeing the guns fire on the silverscreen, along with theater sound, should make the movie worth seeing...

sorry, but the only guns i saw and paused on were at the 1:20 mark.....

Comment

That would explain alot Mrs Hyde.;)
                        I think you're wrong Mr. about their being no active Iowas in the 60's. They may have been reactivated in the 60's for a short period of time....well, maybe. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                          I think you're wrong Mr. about their being no active Iowas in the 60's. They may have been reactivated in the 60's for a short period of time....well, maybe. ;)
                          Only the very end of the 1960's. April 6, 1968-December 17, 1969 and only the New Jersey. Far too late to take part in the Cuban Missle Crisis.;)

Comment

Only the very end of the 1960's. April 6, 1968-December 17, 1969 and only the New Jersey. Far too late to take part in the Cuban Missle Crisis.;)
                            Surfgun is right BB-62, which is the New Jersey which had the longest service life. :)

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                              When they show the BB, look in the background, I see BB-62.
                              If you are referring to the scene with the SR-71 zooming past, yes that is the BB-62 with the 1968 ULQ-6B "deckhouse ears" modified for the AN/SLQ-32.

As for Ytlas commenting on seeing two CIWS guns on the port side, they actually had two on the port side and two on the starboard side. Mounts 21 and 22 were on 05 level over the tops of 5"/38 mounts 51 & 52. CIWS mounts 23 & 24 were on 04 level aft on new armored deckhouses we designed for them. But the depth perception of the picture indicates they are all on the same level.

Also, the teak deck is in serious need of holey stoning.
                              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Working...
                              X