Food or Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
    Damn! And I b1tch about the rocks here!! I just had to haul in sand and mushroom compost and I though that was alot!! I think I got it good compared to you.
    I don't think its that bad, in my home town my neighbor and I turned an old gravel driveway into a garden, the house I rented used to be a farm house (it even had a barn) and the roadbed under the driveway was about 12" deep with packed clay and gravel, by the time I left it was producing very well. My current garden is about half way there, and it has mosinite sand under it, loaded with light giving radium and uranuim. Our water is very special here too, they used to bottle it as a tonic - it has extra radiation - alpha too - the strongest natural type. They dillute it now, so it meets spec, but it is still right up there (15 pCi/L).
    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 16 Apr 11,, 06:39.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
      There is an actual table to calculate this, of which I do not recall at the moment, but it figures crop and livestock support. Livestock like cattle require the most. Then sheep/goats then chickens. Chickens are the best small protien source because of eggs, meat and reproductive time.

IIRC, about ten acres will support 4 with 2 to 4 acres in crops and the rest in small stock like goats and chickens, and that is minimal. It also depends on your climate, geography, soil, weather activity, etc.
      Some Chinese use a terraced system of rice and fish ponds with interspersed vegetable plots that have never gone fallow in recorded history becuase they created a sustainable biosphere agri/eco system.

Comment

That's interesting,but it still depends on the amount of rainfall.I doubt you could replicate that in a a more arid area.Still an example that everything is possible.

Now,given that you keep talking about the impending doom:Dancing-Banana: it looks I'm in a good company.Fellow chaps that think the future belongs to those that grow food and knows a thing or two about guns.But come with a solution to keep the internet working,since I'd absolutely hate not to be in touch with you.
        Those who know don't speak
        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
          That's interesting,but it still depends on the amount of rainfall.I doubt you could replicate that in a a more arid area.Still an example that everything is possible.

Now,given that you keep talking about the impending doom:Dancing-Banana: it looks I'm in a good company.Fellow chaps that think the future belongs to those that grow food and knows a thing or two about guns.But come with a solution to keep the internet working,since I'd absolutely hate not to be in touch with you.
          You can tell a lot by a fella that has a woodpile, even more if he's cut it himself!
          Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Wayfarer View Post
            I personally think cities will be a death-trap. If we are assuming a civilizational collapse then the links and transportation between rural and city will collapse, so will the fiscal system. You will just have competition for limited resources, particularly in cities like Mumbai, which is reliant on the aforementioned mode of transport to supply food, eventually there will be a massive population crash. Buy a nice beachside property in Kerala and enjoy it :D
            Said that based on how cities fared during past famines. Got it from JD's blog :)

Peak Oil Debunked:: 16. CITIES AND FAMINE

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              Said that based on how cities fared during past famines. Got it from JD's blog :)

Peak Oil Debunked:: 16. CITIES AND FAMINE
              I found user Thomas Roberts comment to be good as well.

Assuming food market doesn't break down, the post is correct: food, just as anything else, gets auctioned: people with money get it, people without don't. Mind that demand elasticity to price is, in the case of food, very low, so prices can and will go up a lot.

Of course that rests on several assumptions:
              1) Food doesn't get stolen
              2) Food isn't rationed
              3) Food isn't hoarded

Actually, all three are highly likely.
              There will be trouble for the poorer, and that means Govt subsidies. I suppose it depends on the severity and type of economic/fiscal collapse before we speculate on potential effects. I feel safer in the bush mind you, simply because you survive hand to mouth if necessary.
              "Who says organization, says oligarchy"

Comment

Working...
              X