No announcement yet.

Food or Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brazil? Country that is nearly the size of the US and has close to 191 million people. Number of cars per 1000 people, U.S.-842,Brazil-156. Brazil is the first sustainable ethanol fuel economy, quoted on the net. I would add wait until they ramp up the car number. When they turn all the forests into the sugar cane fields, they will have rapid collapse in the massive mudslides like they had recently. Without trees to slow down the water and allow it to sunk deeper, the water flows near surface, eroding it and creating catastrophes. Rain forest without forest is just rain and rain when it falls on the ground turns into flooding and mudslide.

Scale,scale and again scale.
    Last edited by Versus; 13 Apr 11,, 19:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
      Brazil? Country that is nearly the size of the US and has close to 191 million people. Number of cars per 1000 people, U.S.-842,Brazil-156. Brazil is the first sustainable ethanol fuel economy, quoted on the net. I would add wait until they ramp up the car number. When they turn all the forests into the sugar cane fields, they will have rapid collapse in the massive mudslides like they had recently. Without trees to slow down the water and allow it to sunk deeper, the water flows near surface, eroding it and creating catastrophes. Rain forest without forest is just rain and rain when it falls on the ground turns into flooding and mudslide.

Scale,scale and again scale.
      That beign said, Brazil is now a huge asset to global food stocks with its massive soybean production.

Comment

I am hoping for the best but I am preparing for the worst. We will see how this will play out, next year same thread we should be able to see results...

Comment

I am hoping for the best but I am preparing for the worst. We will see how this will play out, next year same thread we should be able to see results...
          Same here, 80lbs of rice on hand and I plan on adding another couple hundred pounds. Plus adding to my supply of jerky, canned veggies, bottled water, storeable high calorie snacks etc.

Comment

Last year we didn't have milk in our stores for about 6-7 months. After that we didn't had sugar for 5 months. Electric and utility bills are constantly rising and the price of electricity has gone up 4 times since last year,heating gas prices also, gasoline went up 3 times in the period of 4 months.
            I've planted one acre of corn last weekend,by hand just for seeds. The corn is source seed , non hybrid,non gmo kind. This summer I am going back to the village to prepare the land for future cultivation.

Here are some photos of the last trip.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Versus; 14 Apr 11,, 12:47.

Comment

I'll stick to making wine for now but can distil if needed for car.

Comment

My land barely grows weeds so buying bulk foods for storage is more sensible for me. We have amssive discount stores like SAM's Club where I can get 50lb bags of rice for about $15 US. I can source beans in 1 pound bags for about a dollar a pop. Canned veggies store for a really long time and can be had for about .7 dollar a can so it snot hard to build up a good reserve of food.

I want to put in a propane system as emergency back up for the entire house. I've got a grill I can convert but need the generator and heater. Total cost will be about $1500 but I keep putting it off because of cars and baby.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                  My land barely grows weeds so buying bulk foods for storage is more sensible for me. We have amssive discount stores like SAM's Club where I can get 50lb bags of rice for about $15 US. I can source beans in 1 pound bags for about a dollar a pop. Canned veggies store for a really long time and can be had for about .7 dollar a can so it snot hard to build up a good reserve of food.

I want to put in a propane system as emergency back up for the entire house. I've got a grill I can convert but need the generator and heater. Total cost will be about $1500 but I keep putting it off because of cars and baby.
                  You need to get samples and test it so you can see what is missing. After that, you need to replenish the things that its lacking, either by lime or by building organic catalyst. There are a lots of videos on youtbe how to build one and it is relatively simple design. If story plays out like you think, you can have a pretty nice flower garden in your yard if not it will feed you in the times ahead. Either way you win.:)

Comment

You need to get samples and test it so you can see what is missing. After that, you need to replenish the things that its lacking, either by lime or by building organic catalyst. There are a lots of videos on youtbe how to build one and it is relatively simple design. If story plays out like you think, you can have a pretty nice flower garden in your yard if not it will feed you in the times ahead. Either way you win.:)

My soil is red clay loaded with shale and stripped of nutrients by previous cotton cultivation. The immature hardwoods and cedars growign there now also cause low light levels. Its really bad soil. Over time I will bring in some top soil and plant grasses and plants that will replensish the soil but thats more long term.

Also its not the story as I think, I think technology will answer the problem with a solution. But I am hedgign my bets and making sure that since I live in Tornado and ice storm alley my kids won't go hungry. I also have a 12 person in ground tornado shelter.

Comment

I know, but you know...just in case. I mean, it takes one steel barrel to make a catalyst and couple of plastic pipes.

Comment

I wouldn't waste money at Sams Z. I get all my stuff here www.patriotfood.com It tastes great and has a 25 year shelf life. Get a good water filter and you are on top of the world.

Comment

Versus,

I know it is not an easy life there, but I have to say that I am envious of the surroundings. Beautiful country you have there!

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                            I wouldn't waste money at Sams Z. I get all my stuff here www.patriotfood.com It tastes great and has a 25 year shelf life. Get a good water filter and you are on top of the world.
                            You rock - i've been wondering for years if anyone does this!
                            Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
                              You rock - i've been wondering for years if anyone does this!
                              Why? Do you think I'm nuts or what?

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                                7th, I can beat those prices by shopping at Sam's. Hell Sam's sells Auguson farms 1 year for 4 people kits (1340 calories a day) for $2900 shipping included 1/3 the cost of Patriot foods.

If a family of 4 needs just under 2 million calories per year at just over 1300 calories a day with a moderate work load...

1 pound of short grain white rice cooked- 590 calories
                                1 pound cooked beans- 600 calories
                                filler for flavor and vareity like puddings, apple sauces, jerkey etc.

8 pounds of rice and beans per day 3000lbs of rice and beans= $1500

Buying bulk rice and beans saves the cost of packaging, you don't pay for any water weight and you get the bulk discount. It also leaves ou free to spend money on filler foods to keep the tastebuds from revolting. Go for stuff heavy on fats and sugarsand mix with vitamin packed foods like nutrition bars and buy some bulk cooking oils which are incredibly high in fats.

Comment

Working...
                                X