Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Happened Today 6 April

A little dustup occurred along the Tennessee River

Sherman remarked, "Well, Grant, we've had the devil's own day, haven't we?" Grant looked up. "Yes," he replied, followed by a puff. "Yes. Lick 'em tomorrow, though."

Battle of Shiloh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2 bloodiest days in American History and a battle that shook the nation to its core.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Still seems to me to be the most decisive battle of the war.

It was bloody enough. Some say Antietam was the bloodiest. And Burnside's attempt to overwhelm Lee's army at Fredericksburg is right up there too.

Here's remembering the fallen on both sides.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

why d'you think it's the most decisive?
      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
        why d'you think it's the most decisive?
        lol...went all through this in the thread on "most decisive battle of the Civil War"

In short because it opened the way for the North to control the ole Miss and thereby cut the South off from its western trade routes. It fulfilled the original strategy of the North--the Anaconda Plan authored by Gen Scott at the start of the war...anaconda says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
          lol...went all through this in the thread on "most decisive battle of the Civil War"

In short because it opened the way for the North to control the ole Miss and thereby cut the South off from its western trade routes. It fulfilled the original strategy of the North--the Anaconda Plan authored by Gen Scott at the start of the war...anaconda says it all.
          I believe you said the following in Nov 2007!

I think Shiloh in April 1862 was as decisive as they get. It was the beginning of the end of CSA's control of the Mississippi. Antietam that September might have been the icing on the cake as far as getting European recognition, but Shiloh was certainly a habinger of what was to come; that is, if Britain and France were paying attention. Paired with Grant's brilliant Vicksburg campaign the following year, Shiloh, also identified a Union leader who had what it took to utilize the Union's superiority in manpower and materiale to win the war.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            I believe you said the following in Nov 2007!

I think Shiloh in April 1862 was as decisive as they get. It was the beginning of the end of CSA's control of the Mississippi. Antietam that September might have been the icing on the cake as far as getting European recognition, but Shiloh was certainly a habinger of what was to come; that is, if Britain and France were paying attention. Paired with Grant's brilliant Vicksburg campaign the following year, Shiloh, also identified a Union leader who had what it took to utilize the Union's superiority in manpower and materiale to win the war.
            Gee, thanks. :)

Comment

Working...
            X