The new & improved International Defense & Geopolitics Discussion section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new & improved International Defense & Geopolitics Discussion section

As already stated in the announcement, and most likely seen by your own eyes, the International Defense & Geopolitics Discussion just got a major overhaul. Based on our own professor's suggestions we restructured everything for better oversight, as well as added Forums for regions that were missing.

While that has already been done, we still have to move everything into the right place, so right now there are thousands of topics that need to be shuffed around. That will take some time until everything is done, so please don't be surprised or mad should you see a topic in the wrong section. I assure you we are working on it. Should you still encounter misplaced threads after this weekend, please use the report function to notify us so we can correct it.

I notice that sometime the news posts list is quite short, sometime only few threads. Is there a way to keep it at least a full page in length? I use it a lot to see what has currently been discussed.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Just so I am sure that I understand you right, you are talking about the posts that get listed when using the "What's New" button?

Comment

I think Whiskey was refering to the "New Posts" button right below the "Forum" button.

(Why do we have those two separate buttons anyway? They both lead to the same page....unless I'm missing something. )

Comment

Awww.... Look at Yellowbelly being all helpful. Dude, are you not feeling OK?
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
            Just so I am sure that I understand you right, you are talking about the posts that get listed when using the "What's New" button?
            Yes - the Whats New button
            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
              Awww.... Look at Yellowbelly being all helpful. Dude, are you not feeling OK?
              I'm feeling terrible. Must be that time of the month. :(

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
              Yes - the Whats New button
              OK, I stand corrected.

But my point still stands. Why 2 buttons do go to the same place?

Comment

I wasn't correcting you - they do seem to do the same thing

Comment

to answer the question: I don't know...yet. I have some doubts, as the feature is to show what is "new" and not what is recent, but I'll look into it.

Comment

As far as I understand the "What's New" button will show you a list of everything that's been posted since last time you checked. If there aren't many new threads, that's because people haven't been posting
                    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

While that has already been done, we still have to move everything into the right place, so right now there are thousands of topics that need to be shuffed around. That will take some time until everything is done, so please don't be surprised or mad should you see a topic in the wrong section. I assure you we are working on it. Should you still encounter misplaced threads after this weekend, please use the report function to notify us so we can correct it.
                      What will happen to my assidiously collected list of forum thread bookmarks in that case ?

Comment

Since we have done that already month ago..I would say nothing.

@Ben

I know, but I understood him the way that he would like to see even "old" posts when there are only a few new posts. So instead of seeing only the new posts since your last visit, you see all the recent posts from the last 48h for example (even if they are not new to you). I have no clue (as of yet) if such a feature is possible, but at least that is how I understood his wish.

Comment

So instead of seeing only the new posts since your last visit, you see all the recent posts from the last 48h for example (even if they are not new to you). I have no clue (as of yet) if such a feature is possible, but at least that is how I understood his wish.
                          Getdaily function in vBulletin.

Works here too: Search Results - World Affairs Board

Comment

I know, but I understood him the way that he would like to see even "old" posts when there are only a few new posts. So instead of seeing only the new posts since your last visit, you see all the recent posts from the last 48h for example (even if they are not new to you). I have no clue (as of yet) if such a feature is possible, but at least that is how I understood his wish.
                            Actually this brings up another query i've got. If you stay away from the forum for 48h+ hours then you miss replies to posts you might have made.

Is there any way to increase that 48h cutoff with 'what's new'. The user profile settings do not seem to help here.

As to how long that limit should be is upto you and the resources your server can handle so this might impose a natural limit.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                              What will happen to my assidiously collected list of forum thread bookmarks in that case ?

We leave redirects intact.
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                              X