Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 Americans killed by Somali pirates..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
    I suggest the USN, and USMC go in there and take back the 30 boats, summarily execute the surviving pirates, and send a clear message - we kill pirates, quickly, thoroughly and assuredly. We can use a coalition if desired, the Indians, Russians, and others who aren't afraid to do it right - any of these countries who fear the death penalty should stay out of it.
    Apologies USSW, I read your post to fast .....................

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    Tigger, the Russians were included along with the Indians on the list of those who aren't afraid to do it right
    Corrected BR ;)
    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Handcuff pirates to boat.

Sink Boat.

No feedin', no fussin', no fur.

One can always fantasize.

ZF-

Comment

Last I read, all Navies enforcing the safe passage have engaged in lethal actions. That has not stopped the pirates. Frankly, there is one and only one option, and one demonstrated by history time and time again. A land punitive expedition. Go into the pirate strong hold and destroy it. Failing that, priracy would never stop and in time, the pirates would be stronger than any force trying to stop them. Ask the Spaniards.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Last I read, all Navies enforcing the safe passage have engaged in lethal actions. That has not stopped the pirates. Frankly, there is one and only one option, and one demonstrated by history time and time again. A land punitive expedition. Go into the pirate strong hold and destroy it. Failing that, priracy would never stop and in time, the pirates would be stronger than any force trying to stop them. Ask the Spaniards.
          Tripoli would be another example, but one that was successful. Semper Fi.
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Its a good point Col. Yu.

These guys have been brought up or in an ongoing environment of chaos, violence & death I'm not sure anyone here could comprehend (imagine a war zone were the war doesn't really end & there is no government to enforce the rule of law). Plenty of pirates have already been killed, some by the US. Killing more may have a 'feelgood' factor & provide some justice, but it clearly isn't much of a deterrent. A punitive expedition on land would be more effective, but even that might only be a temporary fix unless Somalia has a government & it is prepared to police its ports. Judging by the persistence of piracy in the Malacca straits & Sth China sea, where there are such governments, this may be easier said than done.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Somethings remain the same - like the economic reasons leading to piracy, but others have changed - with satellite recon, we can keep an eye on the region much better than ever before, while I don't think we will be able to keep short range pirates at bay - like the ones who operate within a few dozen miles of shore, but the blue water pirates in the region should not be all that hard to find and address. A frigate with a helicopter should be able to cover quite a tract - with satellite intel, and with an international coalition, it seems possible to put a dozen such frigates in the region. The rules of engagement need to be: catch them, verify they are pirates, execute, no fishing boat needs an RPG for self defense in peacetime. If the possibility of being searched and executed leads to the weapons going to the bottom, that would not be all that bad of an outcome - then they will need to return to shore and rearm, which will cramp their operations - and telephoto video cameras could be used to record the dumping of weapons as soon as the chopper is in visual range. The land expedition sounds good to me, pull out some of their cords, take away the safe haven.
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Sir,

Would you possibly be referring to the Battle Of Berne in 1805?
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

More likely the English,French and Dutch pirates in the 1600's.

OOE,Sir,with due respect,but the lethal actions of the navies have been too few to scare them badly.Most of those lethal actions involved non-NATO ships and those navies have a smaller presence in the AO.It's not a sistematic campaign to kill them all.Those that end captured enjoy living standards they never dreamed,in the prison.

About the land expedition I'd agree,with the addendum that probably many such expeditions will be needed.Each will probably buy a few weeks/months of peace then it will have to be repeated.Until they get the hint.
                  Those who know don't speak
                  He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                    Would you possibly be referring to the Battle Of Berne in 1805?
                    Mihas got it right. I was thinking the failure of the Spanish Armada marked the downfall of Spanish naval supremacy.

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                    OOE,Sir,with due respect,but the lethal actions of the navies have been too few to scare them badly.Most of those lethal actions involved non-NATO ships and those navies have a smaller presence in the AO.It's not a sistematic campaign to kill them all.Those that end captured enjoy living standards they never dreamed,in the prison.
                    Even with more lethal actions, the Somalis are not going to be short of recruits. Like the Spanish ships of old, more than a few pirate ships and staging areas were taken out. Even the threat of the Spanish Armada did not reduced English piracy.

Originally posted by Mihais View Post
                    About the land expedition I'd agree,with the addendum that probably many such expeditions will be needed.Each will probably buy a few weeks/months of peace then it will have to be repeated.Until they get the hint.
                    Need only one but we don't have the stomach for it. Every man, woman, child and dog.

Comment

Well it's a good thing Bill Clinton ran from there in 1993 instead of staying while we had the forces in country, and actually fixing the government.

Comment

Even more important,the Rangers and the Deltas could have had their revenge.The Habr-Gedir were scared s...less at the prospect.
                        Those who know don't speak
                        He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

I am all for whacking these scumbags, they won't be missed. But that ain't gonna happen. Could the powers that be not impose a no sail zone? There was a no fly zone to keep Saddam in his box so why not have a no sail zone for Somalia? If Somalian pirates cant put to sea then they cant do pirate things. If the Israeli navy can maintain a blockade that keeps hippys and others from bringing stuff to Gaza I am sure the international community can stop boats from leaving their territorial waters.

Comment

maybe they could put in a sensor line - something like we had in the cold war or "the war on drugs" ?
                            sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                            If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Interesting that a slew of military professionals (myself included, if I might claim that title) are baffled at the lack of lethal response to this piracy issue. Pirates have been acknowledged as "scum" throughout history, and no one sheds any tears when they become protein for sea creatures.

The basis of defense starts with the victims. While you cannot easily arm a private yacht, a 100 meter freighter has the mass to mount 25mm (or larger) automatic cannon fore and aft. Augment with a few 12.7mm heavy machine guns on pedestals. Hired operators become part of the freighter crew, and radar can be tweaked to detect approaching pirates at night or in bad weather. Flare launchers would be nice for illumination.

Zodiacs, life boats, or other frail craft carrying pirates armed with RPGs and AK's would be shredded with automatic weapons fire. Problem solved. Insurance underwriters would probably be thrilled with a simple solution like this.

Do not the laws of the sea allow lethal defense? If armed, screeching hordes are about to swarm your ship, it's not hard to justify.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                                Do not the laws of the sea allow lethal defense? If armed, screeching hordes are about to swarm your ship, it's not hard to justify.
                                Port authorities in many countries take a dim view of armed foreigners routinely approaching their ports. The very large freighters, which typically run fixed routes, maybe able to make arrangements with the ports of call if they have the political pull. Trawlers and smaller freighters, who have been hit hardest by this piracy, neither have the political pull to negotiate with sensitive governments nor do they have the luxury of avoiding those ports.

Comment

Working...
                                X