How to outfit your squad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to outfit your squad?

Hypothetically here: If you were in charge of small arms procurement for the U.S. military what weapons what assets and weapons would you have on the squad/ individual level? My composition would look something like this. Just curious as to what opinions are. Your squad is going to hell and needs to rely on their small arms to get out. No outside support since this is a recon mission. More than likely it would need to confront some armor. No modern MBT's just some APC's and the off T62. :Dancing-Banana:
    I understand that these are two different things. This is an unlikely situation but not un common.

Donning my flame retardant suit.

"Donning my flame retardant suit."

Exactly.

I want to know who you are. You've got a page plus of this fan-boy crap. Get up to the new members introduction section at the top of the home-page and post a proper intro thread about yourself and your purpose here. In the interim, we'll see if any infantry officer or NonCom wishes to indulge your latest nonsense.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Steve,
      He's simply a Lee Marvin fan. The answer to the quiz is that you want your squad outfitted in stripes!

"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Combat!

Maybe he's a Vic Morrow fan!

Combat!, a one-hour WWII drama series on television, followed a frontline American infantry squad as they battled their way across Europe. With mud-splattered realism, the show offered character studies of men striving to maintain their own humanity in the midst of a world torn by war.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sappersgt; 20 Feb 11,, 22:07.
        Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
        (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

sappersgt. Reply

"Maybe he's a Vic Morrow fan!"

I am. Eleven man squad. Two fire teams each armed with four M-1 Garands and one Browning Automatic Rifle. Squad leader armed with Thompson submachine gun. Everybody armed with grenades.

That should do it.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by S2; 20 Feb 11,, 22:31.
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

As long as they have one of these it's all good:

Comment

Okay, from one fan-boy to another (no, I am not an MP, nor do I claim to be an expert in small unit tactics): standard assault rifle would be the usual M4A1 SOPMOD II with ACOG sights; one member of each fire team has an M203; SAW would be an M240B (maybe two, one per fire team; IMO, 5.56mm isn't big enough for an SAW, needs to be 7.62); everyone would (of course) have M67 frags, and every other member would have an AT-4 (for the occasional obnoxious piece of armor or bunker).
              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                Okay, from one fan-boy to another (no, I am not an MP, nor do I claim to be an expert in small unit tactics): standard assault rifle would be the usual M4A1 SOPMOD II with ACOG sights; one member of each fire team has an M203; SAW would be an M240B (maybe two, one per fire team; IMO, 5.56mm isn't big enough for an SAW, needs to be 7.62); everyone would (of course) have M67 frags, and every other member would have an AT-4 (for the occasional obnoxious piece of armor or bunker).
                Stitch,

A M240B is a machine gun and not a SAW, which is a different class. It's also 8+ lbs heavier, and the ammo is heavier. Not everyone is built like Arnold Schwarzeneger.
                "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  As long as they have one of these it's all good:

Bill,
                  You're so old school. Why not cut the size and weight in about a 1/5th?

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                    "Donning my flame retardant suit."

Exactly.

I want to know who you are. You've got a page plus of this fan-boy crap. Get up to the new members introduction section at the top of the home-page and post a proper intro thread about yourself and your purpose here. In the interim, we'll see if any infantry officer or NonCom wishes to indulge your latest nonsense.
                    Thought it would make for an interesting topic is all. Although the fall out for these threads can be entertaining. It usually is.

I'll make this clear:
                    I am not an LEO or in the military.

If you are so inclined you could have some fun with my avatar and find who I actually am. Take it is a challenge. Or don't waste your time.

The 240 is my preferred temp regulator. Or the venerable 2/140.
                    Last edited by Porsche917LH; 21 Feb 11,, 04:43.

Comment

What makes you think that any one of us, including experienced officers, can do the job better than a entire directorate under the command of a combat veteran, staffed by experienced NCMs spending $billions to come up with an answer?

Is it the best answer? Not by a long shot but it sure as hell is a better answer than you could come up with.

Comment

Porsche917LH Reply

"...Take it is a challenge. Or don't waste your time..."

I'll take your advice. Take a break. If you choose to come back, provide an introductory thread minus the B.S. and smartazz.

Color yourself gone for the interim.

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                          Stitch,

A M240B is a machine gun and not a SAW, which is a different class. It's also 8+ lbs heavier, and the ammo is heavier. Not everyone is built like Arnold Schwarzeneger.
                          Sorry, I meant SAW in the generic sense, not referring to the M249; my impression is that a little more firepower is preferred over a "regular" 5.56 weapon these days.

And, you're right, the M240B is even heavier than the M60; I guess it would get quite heavy after a while!
                          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                            Sorry, I meant SAW in the generic sense, not referring to the M249; my impression is that a little more firepower is preferred over a "regular" 5.56 weapon these days.
                            A squad automatic weapon and machine gun are not synonymous.

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                              A squad automatic weapon and machine gun are not synonymous.
                              Got it. Tx!

Comment

Working...
                              X