Army PT giving me trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New PRT

Apparently there's a new PRT in the works and it appears to be pretty tough-

Test-Takers Offer Advice, Opinions On New PRT-Army Times April 2, 2011

Also, some elements of something called the Combat Readiness Test (CRT) may be incorporated-

When it comes time for the current test, people who are in shape don’t prepare for it while others cram in the weeks ahead,” said Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling, who as deputy commanding general for initial military training was chief architect of the new test. “With this test, even if you are in great shape, it will get the best of you if you are not prepared.”

There was no argument from a winded Hernandez, who described the new test as “more physically demanding.” Foster said it is a “better measuring tool.”

“You can be fat and out of shape and pass the old APFT. That’s impossible with this one,” she said.

There is a key difference between readiness and fitness,” Hertling said. “This test is about readiness. It’s about soldiers being ready to be a tactical athlete.”
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I don't know if I'm ready for combat ops, but I notice that my army training is definitely helping me cope with the rigorous schedule and lack of sleep at Uni. An entire week of 3 hours of sleep a night brings back memories. Damn midterms...
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

My son is a sophomore in Army ROTC and wants to be some sort of trigger-puller in the U.S. Army, and has taken himself into an almost surreal state of fitness. I'm saying this not as a Dad but as an objective person, in this case... he is flat-out scary. He can easily crank out sub-5 minute miles back to back, and do push-ups until we get bored watching. Yet even he is finding current tests challenging.

One test for a combat dive program included "50 meters underwater" - I asked him "don't you mean 25 meters?" "No, FIFTY meters."

I was a competitive swimmer in high school, a good one, and I don't think I could have done it at his age. We worked at it a bit (he is already a certified SCUBA diver), and he barely made it.

These young folk are NOT being coddled. The level of fitness the Army asks for in its new officers is very, very high.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
          Apparently there's a new PRT in the works and it appears to be pretty tough-

Test-Takers Offer Advice, Opinions On New PRT-Army Times April 2, 2011

Also, some elements of something called the Combat Readiness Test (CRT) may be incorporated-

When it comes time for the current test, people who are in shape don’t prepare for it while others cram in the weeks ahead,” said Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling, who as deputy commanding general for initial military training was chief architect of the new test. “With this test, even if you are in great shape, it will get the best of you if you are not prepared.”

There was no argument from a winded Hernandez, who described the new test as “more physically demanding.” Foster said it is a “better measuring tool.”

“You can be fat and out of shape and pass the old APFT. That’s impossible with this one,” she said.

There is a key difference between readiness and fitness,” Hertling said. “This test is about readiness. It’s about soldiers being ready to be a tactical athlete.”
          I just threw up looking at the new one....

Anyone remember the old combat PT test? The 100 meter buddy carry?

Good times...good times.

Nowadays when I want to do something athletic I go to a sports bar.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Chogy & A.R. Reply

It makes sense to me. I thought I was in good shape. Pretty good shape anyway. But the definition of fitness remains combat. When they conduct such at 6000 ft. and 95-100F while the rucksack hasn't magically gotten lighter, then you'd best be in excellent shape if living remains on your agenda.

This test looks like the Army wishes to approximate that. Good.

Bet your boy's a stud, Chogy. Never finish first. NEVER finish last and never volunteer. He'll be fine.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I just felt my lungs explode.

Comment

The Corps tried to do it under Gen Greys watch by reintroducing the old Combat Readiness test.

I see the Army is finally cracking down on Correct repetitions.

The fun of hearing the scorer as I did pull-ups, go 3,3,3,3 your not coming to a dead hang 4,5,5, No kipping. 20 just gets further and further away.

Since 2008 all Marines are required, twice a year, to do the standard PFT (3 mile run/situps and pullups) plus the new Combat fitness test.

880 Yard Run.(MCU) Marines will run for 880 yards while wearing boots and camouflage uniform (pants and t-shirt).

Ammo Can Lifts. (AL) Marines will lift a 30 pound ammo can from the ground, over their heads as many times as they can in two minutes.

Maneuver Under Fire. (MANUF) Marines must move through a 300 yard course, and perform designated tasks, in the time limit authorized. The tasks include:

* Moving in a quick scurry for 10 yards, then a high craw for another 15 yards.
                * Drag a casualty for 10 yards, while zigzagging through several cones. Then lift the casualty and carry him/her at a run for 65 yards.
                * Carry two 30-pound ammo cans for 75 yards, while zigzagging through a series of cones.
                * Toss a dummy grenade 22 1/2 yards and land it in a marked target circle.
                * Perform three push-ups, pick up the two 30-pound cans and sprint to the finish line.

Combat Fitness Test Minimum Requirements
                Males
                A. MALE
                (1) AGE 17-26: MTC (3:48), AL (45), MANUF (3:29)
                (2) AGE 27-39: MTC (4:00), AL (45), MANUF (3:55)
                (3) AGE 40-45: MTC (4:19), AL (44), MANUF (3:57)
                (4) AGE 46+: MTC (4:30), AL (43), MANUF (4:28)
                B. FEMALE
                (1) AGE 17-26: MTC (4:34), AL (20), MANUF (4:57)
                (2) AGE 27-39: MTC (4:40), AL (21), MANUF (5:27)
                (3) AGE 40-45: MTC (5:09), AL (17), MANUF (6:07)
                (4) AGE 46+: MTC (5:20), AL (15), MANUF (6:30)

THE MAXIMUM TIMES/REPETITIONS TO EARN 100 POINTS IN EACH EVENT

A. MALE
                (1) AGE 17-26: MTC (2:45), AL (91), MANUF (2:14)
                (2) AGE 27-39: MTC (2:51), AL (97), MANUF (2:14)
                (3) AGE 40-45: MTC (3:03), AL (87), MANUF (2:34)
                (4) AGE 46+: MTC (3:05), AL (86), MANUF (3:05)
                B. FEMALE
                (1) AGE 17-26: MTC (3:23), AL (60), MANUF (3:01)
                (2) AGE 27-39: MTC (3:19), AL (53), MANUF (3:05)
                (3) AGE 40-45: MTC (3:49), AL (45), MANUF (3:40)
                (4) AGE 46+: MTC (4:12), AL (38), MANUF (4:20)
                Last edited by Gun Grape; 05 Apr 11,, 03:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                  My son is a sophomore in Army ROTC and wants to be some sort of trigger-puller in the U.S. Army, and has taken himself into an almost surreal state of fitness. I'm saying this not as a Dad but as an objective person, in this case... he is flat-out scary. He can easily crank out sub-5 minute miles back to back, and do push-ups until we get bored watching. Yet even he is finding current tests challenging.

One test for a combat dive program included "50 meters underwater" - I asked him "don't you mean 25 meters?" "No, FIFTY meters."

I was a competitive swimmer in high school, a good one, and I don't think I could have done it at his age. We worked at it a bit (he is already a certified SCUBA diver), and he barely made it.

These young folk are NOT being coddled. The level of fitness the Army asks for in its new officers is very, very high.
                  I'll admit that I don't know how I made it through the Q-course back in '86, but if he wants the ultimate and wants to be a trigger puller(which I think is cool, and say hell yeah for having the guts to try) he needs to get in and then set his sights on SFAS. That will be the true measure of his own determination.

Notice I said determination, not ability.

Question; That combat dive program qual, is that a 50 meter free dive and ascent? I've never heard of such thing. 150 ft free dives are not an everyday thing. There was an emergency protocol in training where you had to descend(with air) to 100ft and then do a free ascent(exhale or die), but that 50m sounds extreme to me.

Besides, the crawl, drop and swim or the pool in SFAS will get him before any diving ever takes place. If he conquers that, he's in like Flint.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    I just threw up looking at the new one....

Anyone remember the old combat PT test? The 100 meter buddy carry?

Good times...good times.
                    Gone but not forgotten....

Nowadays when I want to do something athletic I go to a sports bar.
                    I get off the tractor and grab a shovel or rake.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                      I get off the tractor and grab a shovel or rake.
                      Isn't it this gang here who told me to wet a bandana when chucking hay?

Comment

I gotta say, reading about the fitness tests here, suddenly I realize that what I went through in basic training really wasn't much. I'm sure it was because we were tankies, and as a gunner I spent almost as much time in the classroom as I did in the tank, which didn't leave much time for running.

I've gotta talk to a friend of mine that was in Sayaret Maglan, see what his PT was like
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

7th, the 50 meter swim was horizontal underwater without surfacing. And without pushing off the wall, he had to start from a dead stop.

50 meters is pretty extreme. As accomplished swimmers in high-school, we were anaerobically conditioned, meaning we could produce effort with less oxygen. We'd regularly make 25 meters without much problem. 35 meters, and you're hurting, bad. Only the elite could do 50 meters, and that was by youngsters who'd swim several miles a day, and knew hydrodynamics, drag reduction, oxygen conservation, etc very well.

The Army is asking candidates who are not regular swimmers to do this, and it was required for entry into the program, along with a continuous swim of over 2 miles. Pretty intense.

I like the description of the Marine PFT. The Air Force PFT I took regularly was a joke in comparison to these.

Comment

The Air Force PFT I took regularly was a joke in comparison to these.

That's cause you only have to run from the bushes to the rescue helo, Chogy!;)
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

No, they also had to run from the ready room to the planes themselves. Most importantly, they had to run to happy hour!

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                The Air Force PFT I took regularly was a joke in comparison to these.

That's cause you only have to run from the bushes to the rescue helo, Chogy!;)
                                We tried to draw the line at a big gut. Didn't look good in a flight suit. ;)

The USAF rep for fitness was terrible, deservedly so. But our PJ boys could hang with just about anybody, and I believe are underrated a bit in the community of elite warriors.

Comment

Working...
                                X