Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do armies hold live fire(non-lethal) exercises pitting companies against each other?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Damac View Post
    Heck. Back in the "olden days" of the early to mid '80s, we'd just yell bang bang at each other. Now, if the guy on the other team refused to admit you got him, then the fun started. I saw more than one such exercise devolve into close combat over who shot who.
    Sounds like payday activities at the bar . . .
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Sounds like childhood.
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Sounds like Marines!
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
          Sounds like Marines!

Ouch!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            In the mid 90s to early 02 we (USMC) used simunitions during small unit one on one training.

They are paint/watercolor filled 9mm wax rounds that can be fired from modified M-16s and regular M-9s. Simunition rounds and adapter kits were pretty hard to come by. I think the unit of issue was 1 companys worth per regiment(?) and it was in heavy demand. We called it SESAMS.

The one thing I remember most is that the round traveled at 650fps and stung like crazy.

A 9mm round traveling a little over 2x the speed of a regular paintball round.

Much better than lasers. There is no denying that you are hit. Or gaming the "Miles" by using concealment as cover. It dislodged a few bad habits that gets picked up during miles training, like hiding behind a bush vice using real cover. Or removing the receiver batteries in your gear.

Many Battalions used unit funds and bought paintball guns for small level force on force without having to wait for the SESAMs to become available.

I don't know if it is still used
            What? That's cheating!

I just got back into playing Counter Strike (shooting game between terrorists and counter terrorists). After I'm dead, I don't tell my friends over voice or chat where the other side is. That's just bad gamesmanship.

However, in a real war situation, I would do just about anything to gain an advantage over the enemy, short of committing war crimes.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Be aware not to commit mistakes.If you win your crimes may be forgiven(unless they're truly nasty).
              Those who know don't speak
              He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                What? That's cheating!
                long ago one of my Field Artillery Chiefs, who is now a coworker of Arty Eng, use to say

"If you ain't cheating, you aint trying"

Comment

Maybe Albany can help me out. After all he is older than dirt. What was the system/training aid called before MILES?

The one where you wore numbers on your uniform and helmet and scored "hits" on the OpFor by being able to tell the ref what number they were wearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                    In the mid 90s to early 02 we (USMC) used simunitions during small unit one on one training.
                    We used them far back as '86 for CQB training and yes, they hurt like hell when you got hit. It was all fun and games till I got shot! Ouch! One of my "buddies" thought it would be funny to rip into me with about a half clip out of an Uzi, full out.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                      We used them far back as '86 for CQB training and yes, they hurt like hell when you got hit. It was all fun and games till I got shot! Ouch! One of my "buddies" thought it would be funny to rip into me with about a half clip out of an Uzi, full out.
                      To him it was probably hysterical...
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

A point to note regarding "cheating" on Ex, being from the "old school" myself I agree it used to be a point of honour to confuse and outwit the umpires.......... however, time, experience and maturity has taught me that in doing this in training you are only cheating yourself.
                        With the AWES system in use I work with, we can easily detect and work out who is "playing games' and trying to manipulate the outcome of egagements/mission, this is done a lot early in the exercises, D-Day to say D+3, once we have higlighted the culprits etc on the AAR's it becomes a non issue and people start to get the best results and lessons in training through the AAR's.
                        I have to say it is very very satisfying to see the improvement within the BG by endex D+25, and also the change in attitude regarding TES.

But it was fun fooling the old umpires...................
                        sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
                          A point to note regarding "cheating" on Ex, being from the "old school" myself I agree it used to be a point of honour to confuse and outwit the umpires.......... however, time, experience and maturity has taught me that in doing this in training you are only cheating yourself.
                          With the AWES system in use I work with, we can easily detect and work out who is "playing games' and trying to manipulate the outcome of egagements/mission, this is done a lot early in the exercises, D-Day to say D+3, once we have higlighted the culprits etc on the AAR's it becomes a non issue and people start to get the best results and lessons in training through the AAR's.
                          I have to say it is very very satisfying to see the improvement within the BG by endex D+25, and also the change in attitude regarding TES.

But it was fun fooling the old umpires...................
                          Heh i remember when i was a gunner on scymitars , we were informed by the ump we were knocked out on good ol solly , the cnut (very fresh ) asked if we would lay down with tomato sauce on us for authenticity ,, hahaha , he was told to fcuk off while we had a wash n scoff , richard head .

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                            Heh i remember when i was a gunner on scymitars , we were informed by the ump we were knocked out on good ol solly , the cnut (very fresh ) asked if we would lay down with tomato sauce on us for authenticity ,, hahaha , he was told to fcuk off while we had a wash n scoff , richard head .
                            sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

The cmdr was Bob , bro of Jack , and i cant remember their surname , Wayne ,, hilfe ?

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                                The cmdr was Bob , bro of Jack , and i cant remember their surname , Wayne ,, hilfe ?
                                Butel...............
                                sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Working...
                                X