Active Duty Army Ranger Named #3 Pastry Chef in World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Duty Army Ranger Named #3 Pastry Chef in World

Don't even think about sending the food back . . . RLTW!

Active Duty Army Ranger Named #3 Pastry Chef in World | The Atlantic Wire

Active Duty Army Ranger Named #3 Pastry Chef in World

By MAX FISHER | December 18, 2010 1:00pm

The World Association of Chefs has named Master Sergeant Mark Morgan of the U.S. Army Rangers as one of the three best pastry chefs in the world, as reported in the local newspaper of Fort Monroe, Virginia, where Morgan is based. He earned the distinction at the recent Culinary World Cup in Luxembourg, where he represented the U.S. culinary team and won two gold medals.

Morgan has also been honored in his day job as an Army Ranger. At some point during his six tours of duty--two in Iraq and four in Afghanistan--he was awarded the bronze star. He is currently the aide to General Martin Dempsey, who runs the Army Training and Doctrine Command, also known as TRADOC, at Fort Monroe. The local paper describes his prize-winning desserts:

His peanut butter ganache earned him third place among 55 pastry chefs. Morgan also prepared four desserts, which together, were called “Pumpkin and Spice”. They included a spiced pumpkin custard; walnut cake inside a coconut blossom; red currant compote; and a cinnamon beignet on poached pumpkin petals, a trio of cranberry, and honey, yogurt and pumpkin sorbet with a pumpkin-thyme essence.
    If that's not impressive enough for you, Morgan was actually an alternate for the U.S. culinary team. He didn't know he would be competing until the regular pastry chef dropped out two months before the Luxembourg World Cup. The U.S. Army is not know for its loose "take a few weeks off to go follow your dreams" policies, but Morgan somehow found time to practice. "I'm not as good as I used to be – it’s been 10 years," he said. Those would be the 10 years when he was fighting in two wars.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Hope ol' General Dempsey doesn't find himself on the weight-control program. MSG Morgan makes some yummy desserts. Bet he whips up a mean Quiche too.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Why do I picture him fast-roping through a window in an ACU patterned apron and chef's hat in a vest loaded with cooking utensils and a mixer in a dropdown holster?

Comment

Rangers lead soufle'!
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Prees-Ent Fork!
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

I don't know why you all seemed surprised. The Army has been wearing girl scout hats for years. They should be good at baking cakes and cookies.

Think he could whip up a few boxes of Samoas for the guys.

Comment

This from a guy who answered to the Boat People.

Comment

Originally posted by officer of engineers View Post
                this from a guy who answered to the boat people.
                target!!!

Cease fire!
                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  This from a guy who answered to the Boat People.
                  Did the person from another Beret wearing service and has been known to visit CHEZ MADO say something?

Naah couldn't have

Comment

This Royal Marine really wishes you'd STFU about his green beanie. Merry Christmas, Gunny...
                    Attached Files
                    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

He is from Europe. European men can wear berets. Just like fat old European men are allowed to wear speedos.

The same rules don't apply in North America. Except maybe for French Canadians

Comment

Remind me again which one of us served in the Dept that had these guys as recruiters?

Comment

remember, according to the National Security Act We are Separate and Equal service. Just like the Air Force was a part of the Dept of the Army. Then they go the heck out cause they could see the beret coming and didn't want to look "Gay".

It is also telling that the Village People, I had to look them up only had a sailor for that one song. Once the Army went to wearing girl scout hats that character became a soldier:)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                            Remind me again which one of us served in the Dept that had these guys as recruiters?
                            Men's department....no bell bottoms allowed.

Comment

Doesn't surprise me - it's not about the form the art takes, it's about the method. He's clearly applying finely-honed military strategy and tactics to pastry making. ;)
                              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
                              X