• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    My favorite quote from Blazing Saddles.

I can say that and not get in trouble
    This is the best quote from Blazing Saddles:

"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

"Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Dude, all of Blazing Saddles in itself is one plain awesome movie line.
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

"...all of Blazing Saddles in itself is one plain awesome movie line."

Just another historical inaccuracy from Hollywood. Should that be surprising coming from the man that brought you History Of The World Part I?

Last edited by S2; 13 Dec 10,, 12:23.
          "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Am I to infer from that that you are not fond of Mel Brooks and his assorted works?
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

bigross86 Reply

"Am I to infer from that that you are not fond of Mel Brooks and his assorted works?"

Does it look like it?

I'm all about artistic license. Especially with history. Remember-when the legend becomes fact-print the legend!
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Those Assume the Position videos were great.

Comment

To the original video (not of Blazing Saddles) the photo of the wounded soldiers is actually a photo of Union soldiers taken at Fredericksburg, VA in May 1864 not Confederate soldiers as presented in the video.

Kind of the next thought.

Shek and I both lurk at a site called Civil War Memory which is about the use of the Civil War rememberances, etc, in current events and interpretation. One subject the site really does a good job on is the misnomer that Southern African Americans willingly took up arms on behalf of the Confederacy. This very point is so far beyond the pale as to strain credulity. Men like Cleburne who proposed arming blacks from a purely strategic neccesity point of view were roundly criticized. I believe it was on 25 MAR 1865 before the Confederate Congress authorized the formation of Black units...and 2 battalions were formed from impressed slaves and the units only action was at Saylors Creek where it was shattered and spread to the winds.

Civil War Memory

The South's Secession Commemoration - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 12/09/10 - Video Clip | Comedy Central
                  Last edited by Albany Rifles; 15 Dec 10,, 05:03.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                    I'll offer up the first historical inaccuracy. The cadet "Southerner" is Henry Walter Kingsbury, born in Chicago, and died a Colonel of Infantry at Antietam while commanding the 11th Connecticut. Oops . . . guess he didn't fight for Southern independence.
                    OK, enough of letting this thread deteriorate into a blazing saddles homage, I'll give you this one first in the inaccuracies of a SCV video...so they are not all that smart, its the south, blame it on the Northern reconstruction of the southern education system. Next.....

Comment

Here's the next error in the SCV video. When they talk of Northerner's invading the South, they use images from the Southern invasion of the North, and specifically, an image of the Rohrback Bridge, now referred to as Burnside's Bridge. Oops . . . I guess they forget to mention the South's invasion of the North.
                      Please expound so we can argue about Ft Sumpter once again for the umpteenth time?

Comment

Here's the last inaccuracy. The video claims that the South fought sometimes with odds 5:1. Technically, I'm sure that those examples exist. This reference is surely made against this battlefield marker that can be found at Five Forks, where Lee's Petersburg line was finally stretched and broken on 1 April 1865.
                        So this is inaccurate how? You just admitted "at times" and the video claimed "at times". Should it contain a disclaimer of only once?

There's a handful of other things I could bring up that are distortionary from the video, but I'll just leave it at those three.
                        Hell, if your feelin like it, I'm game. May not be as entertaining as a Mel Brooks film, but should be more engaging. You want a lost cause, I'll play the part.;)

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                          So this is inaccurate how? You just admitted "at times" and the video claimed "at times". Should it contain a disclaimer of only once?
                          "Liars figure and figures lie"

Eric,

The video was produced as part of a series that the particular GA chapter of the SCV wanted to air on the History Channel to promote their Lost Cause version of the war. One of the tenets of the Lost Cause is the overwhelming odds that the Confedearcy faced, which as told, was that the Confederacy couldn't win against these odds and yet continued in their heroic struggle (which begs the question as to why they even started the war then if it was impossible to win against the 2:1 odds they faced in the field). The specific example that I can think of where Confederate forces fought at odds worse than 2:1 would be in the precursor maneuver battles of Grant's Vicksburg campaign where his speed of maneuver overwhelmed Pemberton's ability to reinforce isolated garrisons. So, a claim could be made for odds, but these odds were created by poor Confederate strategy of trying to defend everywhere and not by a Union advantage in numbers, which is the tenet of the Lost Cause and the implication.

As to the Five Forks reference, which has a clean 5:1 advantage and what I believe the video is referring to, the monument emplaced during the Centennial by the Dinwiddie Commission is simply wrong (the actual odds were just over 2:1). What's important about this is two fold. First, the initial Lost Cause mythology about the odds first surfaced over the parole numbers from Appomattox and then were extrapolated back through the Overland Campaign. Thus, Five Forks was tainted by this initial brush. The second thing is that the incorrect monument was emplaced/dedicated during the Centennial, a period marked by strong Southern resistance to the Civil Rights movement and during which a renewed emphasis on Lost Cause mythology emerged as an antidote, if you will, to the Civil Rights movement. This clearly had an impact in the incorrect narrative on the monument - whether it was an error of omission (believed the Lost Cause mythology and so the numbers didn't seem wrong) or an error of commission (a deliberate distortion of the figures), I can't say.

So, the video makes another sloppy historical error in pursuit of continuing the Lost Cause mythology about odds.

Now, if you believe that the video wasn't trying to create an impression that the South fought against impossible odds and was interested in pursuing historical perfection, then I'd like to hear the argument. However, they rely upon a historical error built upon a foundation of a narrative that relies on historical error, and so you've got a long journey here.
                          Last edited by Shek; 15 Dec 10,, 20:29.
                          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                            Please expound so we can argue about Ft Sumpter once again for the umpteenth time?
                            This isn't about federal property that South Carolina gave to the United States government. It's about the fact that when the video talks about Northern invasion, they show a picture of a battle that occurred in the North because of the Confederate invasion of the North.

Comment

Didn't Tophatter mention something about the Japanese planes were NOT re-arming on the carrier decks at the Battle of Midway when the American dive bombers hit them, as most historical reportings would like us to believe? And the time differential between Torpedo 8's fateful attack and the arrival of the dive bombers was more than sufficient for Japanese fighters to regain altitude.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Gunnut,

Yeah, I do remember that. I haven't done much WW 2 reading in the last 2 or 3 years...need to check that out.
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X