Pearl Harbor Reconstruction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearl Harbor Reconstruction

Hello all. I am heading up a project collecting resources in an effort (of immense proportions) to re-create the Pearl Harbor Attack using either 1:350 or 1:700 warships and scratch built buildings/docks/landscape. Perhaps out of reach for one person, this is becoming a small group project in which each individual will be responsible for constructing a set of ships, aircraft, and buildings to be added to the finished diorama. For now, we are focusing on Ford Island and Battleship Row, but we hope to expand south to Honolulu, the sub base, and the dry docks where the USS Pennsylvania was stationed.

My purpose for posting on this forum is thus: I need to gather as many diagrams, graphics, and post-attack photographs relating to damage sustained by the capital ships. If anyone is in possession of such, or can provide useful links, the Utah Battlegroup would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance.

That's quite a project you are planning. Good Luck and have lots of aspirin nearby.

There are quite a number of websites that can load you up with lots of data such as The Pearl Harbor Attack, 7 December 1941. The first item on that site is the list of ships there at the time of the attack. Put a few extra sheets of paper in your printer to copy that.

When writing my book on the history of the Long Beach Naval Shipyard, I included the experiences of a couple of men I worked with who were there at the time. Based upon their descriptions and reading several web sites I was able to verify the accuracy of their memories.

Also on another website of casualties, it is ironic that of the 33 civilians killed in Honolulu itself, 17 of them were Japanese.

WARNING: When you read all the battle reports from each ship that fired back, it may count up to half of the Japanese Air Force was shot down. But many ships were shooting at the same plane and each ship claimed it. So make sure you back-check each report with the final overall and official reports. As far as determining exactly which ship shot down which plane, what the hell, give them ALL credit for the kills.

As I said, do a lot of web searching, particularly of maps. Almost all will be compatible with each other but some are harder to interpret than others. Pick the ones that are the most topographically correct to get the outline going. Then fit in the buildings, piers, cranes, etc. That's what I had to do with the shipyard maps in my book and believe me, it's not a cake walk.

Again, Good Luck and don't forget to keep this board updated with photos of the project through its stages.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Grey, Do you have a list of ships and areas you still need? Maybe someone would like to build something and submit it to your project? I'd recommend doing it in 700 scale first, lots of nice detailed waterline models at realistic prices. Where will this master piece be assembled? Do you have a big basement?

One more thing, we ask all new members to start a new thread in the introduction forum and introduce themselves. :)
      Last edited by USSWisconsin; 04 Dec 10,, 16:36.
      sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
      If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Wow, this thing is going to be big. I agree with 1/700 scale. Lots of small craft, docks, cranes, piers that you won't find in 1/350. Not to mention the ships available. In 1/350 you will be doing a lot of scratchbuilding.

For motivation, if you can find the old Fine Scale Modeler magazine "Modeling the Second World War a 50th Anniversary Tribute" from 1995 There is a article, and pictures of a Pearl Harbor Diorama.

It was done by Bob Bracci and is in 1/4100 scale . The diorama is the size of 1 4x8 sheet of plywood. It was displayed at the Arizona Memorial from 1992 through 1994.

Good luck

Comment

http://www.cdsg.org/mapspdf/HDHI1921.pdf
          this may be useful
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Working...
          X