"This is going to end badly." Stock Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "This is going to end badly." Stock Market

I wouldn't place to much emphasis on the recent gains in the stock market.

(Disclaimer, I trade stocks almost daily, but with one eye on the exit.)

A couple days ago I was watching the Kudlow Report. He had his usual panel of the "best and brighest." They were discussing the QE2 and the current run-up.

The most interesting thing that was said, to which everyone nodded their heads, was: "Look, we all know this is going to end badly, but right now..."

That really should send a chill up your spine.
    sigpicUSS North Dakota

Eh, not really. One thing I found since I started paying attention and trading is that the "experts" are wrong as often as I am.

I found that I did just as well, and sometimes better, when I completely ignored them and just traded on technicals. They may be right, and to be honest I wouldn't mind seeing another March 09 type opportunity screaming at me.

Comment

I've never traded; I chalk it up to being a wuss. I'm 27, and technically still have time to get a good portforlio going, but I'd probably end up going with a Vanguard account or something similar. I am not educated enough to do anything in the market other than to throw darts at the stock page of the newspaper.

What would you say is a good number to start investing with for a beginner? 1k, 5k?
      "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

Whatever you can afford after all else is accounted for. Don't invest anything you may need in the near future...no that I practice what I preach but it's a good rule of thumb.

As for Vanguard, I really like the Wellesley fund. A good mix of stock and bonds, not very volatile and decent returns. It's a minimum 3k investment. I'd recommend setting it up for DRIP (dividend reinvestment), but be aware you will need to pay taxes on those distributions even though they are being reinvested outright.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT

That's a good slow, long term investment. If I hadn't needed the money elsewhere I would have been buying this in 09 and sitting pretty ATM.

Comment

I just cashed out my Vanguard fund in case the tax rate goes up next year. I think I made 30% over the last 16 months. Not too bad.
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I'd say 30% is a fair gain over 16 months!

I was nuts about my ING savings account in 2006, when I opened it the APR was 4.15% (give or take .05%)... now it's down to 1.1%, such as all savings.

Thanks for the advice
            "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
              I just cashed out my Vanguard fund in case the tax rate goes up next year. I think I made 30% over the last 16 months. Not too bad.
              So what's your secret gunnut? :)

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                So what's your secret gunnut? :)
                I got lucky on this one.

Comment

I've been investing in Lead, copper and brass mostly the last few years. I've been thinkin about Gold now, for some balance.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                    I've been investing in Lead, copper and brass mostly the last few years. I've been thinkin about Gold now, for some balance.
                    I've been investing in those too, copper jacketed lead cores sitting on brass cases.

A new shipment of 500 rounds of 45 ACP just arrived at my house.:banana:

Comment

I've been investing in those too, copper jacketed lead cores sitting on brass cases.

So, how long does ammo keep and what do you do with them if they expire?

Comment

Bet the UPS guy loves you!

Comment

I have some M118LR, manufactured in 1971. Shoots as good as it ever did. If kept sealed and is of good manufacture, I would say ammo would last as long as its container.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                            Bet the UPS guy loves you!
                            Not as much as that last guy who had to bring in 1000 round of 9mm and 500 rounds of 45 ACP

Did I mention those 2 boxes were in a bigger box?
                            Last edited by gunnut; 13 Nov 10,, 09:17.

Comment

I've shot 303 Brit rounds (back in the early 1990s) manufactured in 1942 in Egypt. Every single round went boom without a hiccup.

Currently I have ammo I bought in the early 1990s sitting in my room. They were made by Norinco of China. Can't get those any more. Thanks Billy.

Comment

Working...
                              X