Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian commander sentenced to life for murders

Canadian commander sentenced to life for murders
    By CHARMAINE NORONHA, Associated Press Writer Charmaine Noronha, Associated Press Writer 2 hrs 6 mins ago

BELLEVILLE, Ontario – The former commander of Canada's largest air force base said Thursday he deeply regretted his "despicable crimes," moments before he was sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole for 25 years for murdering two women.

Col. Russell Williams pleaded guilty to two counts of first-degree murder, two sexual assaults and 82 counts of breaking-and-entering, during which he took hundreds of undergarments from women and young girls.

Ontario judge Robert F. Scott sentenced Williams after the disgraced former elite pilot tearfully addressed the court, lamenting his crimes and the pain he has caused the victims and their family and friends.

"I stand before you indescribably ashamed," Williams said, his voice cracking. "I know that the crimes I have committed have damaged many people."

Williams said he betrayed his family, friends and colleagues.

Justice Robert Scott said he believes Williams is sincere in his regrets, but nonetheless declared him a "sick and dangerous" man.

"Russell Williams will forever be remembered as a sadosexual serial killer," Scott told the court. "The depths of the depravity shown by Russell Williams have no equal."

Williams pleaded guilty Monday to murdering Jessica Lloyd, 27, whose body was found in February, and Marie Comeau, a 37-year-old corporal under his command who was found dead in her home last November. Both women were asphyxiated.

Prosecutors spent much of the week revealing graphic evidence of the former elite military pilot's secret life at a sentencing hearing that often reduced the victims' family members to tears.

Williams took pictures of himself in the women's bedrooms, posing in their underwear, and he meticulously catalogued the photos on a hard drive and stored the undergarments in his home. Prosecutor David Thompson detailed in court how Williams raped, photographed, videotaped and killed Comeau, who pleaded with Williams to "have a heart" and spare her life. During most of the proceedings, Williams sat looking downward.

Williams was a rising star in the military before he was charged earlier this year. The charges have shocked Canadians and shaken the military to its core. The 47-year-old once flew prime ministers and served as a pilot to Queen Elizabeth II during a 2005 visit.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper called it a "horrific series of events" and said his thoughts are with the victims and to their families as well as to the Canadian military.

"Our thoughts go out to all the members of the Canadian forces who knew the commander and who have been very badly wounded and betrayed by all of this," Harper said.

Lieutenant-General Andre Deschamps, Chief of Air Staff for the Canadian military, said the military has been "deeply shaken" by Williams. Deschamps said they can now fire Williams and remove his medals.

"We don't understand why," Deschamps said. "This individual was a man of tremendous capacities. He was professional. I still can't reconcile the two people we've seen."

Andy Lloyd, one of the victim's brothers, said he has been waiting for this day for a long time and that he's glad the military has moved to strip of Williams of his rank.

"My father served in the forces for 25 years and would never believe that a man of his stature could have done what monstrous things he did," said Lloyd outside the courthouse. "As long as he dies in jail, I'm happy."

___

Associated Press writer Rob Gillies contributed to this story from Regina, Saskatchewan.
    Copyright © 2010 Yahoo! Inc. Al
    To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Good riddance to bad rubbish
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

There are 68,000 people who wants to volunteer for his firing squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        There are 68,000 people who wants to volunteer for his firing squad.
        Heh, I was thinking yesterday when I heard what this guy did that you must be tearing out your hair and cursing the Canadian government for not having the death penalty.

Comment

a necessary operation in this case:

"As long as he dies in jail, I'm happy." - I don't beleive that is enough
          Attached Files
          Last edited by USSWisconsin; 21 Oct 10,, 22:19.
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Part of us are still expecting this freak to suicide himself. That is the only way he can redeem the services. I really hate to say this. But if he suicide himself, despite a suicide watch, he would have paid for his crimes ... for pushing a punishement that Canada will not deliver.

Comment

Colonel jailed for life

Jeez , i wouldn't have liked to be on a charge in front of this guy
              Last edited by tankie; 22 Oct 10,, 14:50.

Comment

That's Tankie for ya, always a bit behind everyone else... :banana:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/int...e-murders.html
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                  That's Tankie for ya, always a bit behind everyone else... :banana:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/int...e-murders.html
                  Soz i didnt know it had already been posted , but there again you must get the news before us:whome:

Comment

Happy birthday, Dreadnought!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                      Happy birthday, Dreadnought!!!!!!
                      Well played. :banana:

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                        Well played. :banana:
                        Thankyou, sir. :patting myself in the back:

Comment

OOE - I was hoping to get an answer from you on this: I'm surprised to hear that he will still be eligible for his pension despite the fact that he has bought disrepute to the office he served. While it is said he was good at the wokr he did, he also apparently collected personal information from files he had access to due to his position to commit one of his crimes. Can the military not in some way charge him and revoke his pension? i.e. breach of privacy? There have to be ways to ensure that if he does somehow manage to charm his way out in 25 years, he does not have the money to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderous View Post
                            OOE - I was hoping to get an answer from you on this: I'm surprised to hear that he will still be eligible for his pension despite the fact that he has bought disrepute to the office he served. While it is said he was good at the wokr he did, he also apparently collected personal information from files he had access to due to his position to commit one of his crimes. Can the military not in some way charge him and revoke his pension? i.e. breach of privacy? There have to be ways to ensure that if he does somehow manage to charm his way out in 25 years, he does not have the money to enjoy.
                            Where did you get that news from ref pension , he has been dishonourably discharged and stripped of rank , his pension as far as i am aware is forfeit , or it would be in the UK .

Comment

Unfortunately, this is not the case in Canada. He has served for over 20 years and is therefore entitled to pension. I believe a new article said he was in the forces for 24 years when he was discharged and therefore is entitled to the pension. I believe the furor this has created will perhaps push the Federal government to do something about it hopefully. So far the news is that he will receive his pension. Additionally taxpayers will also be paying for repairs to his Ottawa house where the floor was damaged and a lamp broken during the search at his house for evidence.
                              CTV Ottawa- Taxpayers pick up cost of damage to Williams' home - CTV News
                              Pension link:
                              CBC News - Canada - Williams to lose rank but not pension: military

Comment

Working...
                              X