No announcement yet.

2010 College Football Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LSU beating Bamma derailed Bamma's chances of the big game though I am sure they will still end up in a money making bowl. Looks like a rematch of LSU and Auburn for the conference.

TCU made a statement against Utah or should I say "exposed" Utah. Neither team really has faced any good teams yet.

If they win out it looks like Oregon/Auburn in the NC game. BS and TCU may be playing for 3-4 but Ohio State, LSU and Wisconsin will be charging up and might kiss enough BCS azz to leapfrog over BS and/or TCU. Still a month left so we will see.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Much of nothing.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
        I wish the NCAA could understand discretion. Either hold your tongue until you get enough evidence to go forth or hand out some indictments. If Auburn and Cam are innocent then they do not need the distraction at this point of the season. If guilty they need to step aside and let some one else in the big game and get the Heisman.
        The NCAA had to come out and say something since ESPN found out about the investigation some how and plastered it all over their scrawl on THU night's VA Tech-GA Tech game.

They couldn't leave the story out there with no formal response.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          The NCAA had to come out and say something since ESPN found out about the investigation some how and plastered it all over their scrawl on THU night's VA Tech-GA Tech game.

They couldn't leave the story out there with no formal response.
          The NCAA never could leave well enough alone. I will never forgive the jackbooted thugs forcing out mascots they felt were not PC. Even if Auburn is 100% clean, and lets face it, no college is, the NCAA investigation is going to be a huge distraction. The way the NCAA investigates, glacially, there will be no "findings" after the season anyway. The NCA is not bound to answer ESPN"S allegations anyway. A simple, "NO comment" would have worked.

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
            "It kind of amazes me that all the sunny Ca boys come up to the Rainy PNW to play college ball."

It's all about an opportunity to play. California, particularly the bay area and SoCal, is a hotbed for H.S. football. If you want to play on the highest level of college football on the west coast, what do you do if you're not offered by USC, UCLA, Cal, or Stanford?

California high school football supplies Washington St., Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Fresno State, Boise State, San Diego State, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona State and Arizona with top-notch talent every year. Tons more from California high schools go to Montana, Montana St., UNLV, San Jose State and other second tier schools.

My point, however, was that there's an incredible number of top-notch high school athletes right here in the northwest that can play at the professional level.

A.J. Feeley and Kellen Clemens played ball against each other in eastern Oregon. Clemens grew up on a cattle ranch outside Burns, Oregon. Absolutely the middle of nowhere. They both attend the UofO and both get drafted into the pros. Feeley was Clemens' backup in college, btw. At the same time Derek Anderson is playing H.S. ball in Scappoose, Oregon-a tiny river town just downstream the Columbia river from Portland and attends OSU. Both Clemens and Anderson were top 10 nationally rated Q.B.s.

Washington high school football is similar. There've been a huge number of Q.B.s that have come out of that state-John Elway in particular but also the three Huard brothers in recent years. Jake Locker is from Ferndale, Washington.

Wisconsin, in contrast, has one kid that made it to the pros and he didn't even play for the state university-Tony Romo. The fall weather, especially on the west slope of the Cascades, can be horrendous for a passing attack. Sometimes it just POURS on a Friday night. So I don't buy into the idea that climate is a rationale.
            If I were a high school standout in Ca and could not get into the local schools I would be looking at some team in the midwest or east before the northwest. I will play in the heat and the cold,but I never warmed up to playing in the 4 months of rain. ( two in the fall and two in spring practice). I have been in Oregon for 30 years and I am still not used to the pasty white chicks here. Either they glow in the dark or they have one of those fake tans. There are no colleges on the sunny east side of the cascades worth playing for.

Well, looks like OSU is not keeping their end of the bargain. They should beat Wazzu, but they are also going to have to beat either SC, Oregon, or Stanford just to be eligible for post season and those are pretty slim odds. If they lose to Wazzu next week you can stick a fork in them.

Comment

bonehead Reply

"If I were a high school standout in Ca and could not get into the local schools I would be looking at some team in the midwest or east before the northwest."

Not if playing in the PAC-10 and before your family and friends is a consideration. Also remember that Washington was a nat'l title contender in the eighties and Oregon is now. Kids want to play for programs at that level of recognition.

Don't forget about Boise St. That program isn't going anywhere. Admission is easier than the PAC-10 schools and they'll likely pull their fair share of SoCal/Bay Area talent. Finally, there are also other programs that get talent. Fresno State (Dilfer, Volek and Carr) and San Diego State are programs that have put a lot of Q.B. talent into the pros.

Weather? It can be miserable anywhere in the country at this time of the year. I've seen SEC schools playing in absolute torrential downpours before. OTOH, how many Oregon games have you watched that were soaking wet this year?

Overblown.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

"If I were a high school standout in Ca and could not get into the local schools I would be looking at some team in the midwest or east before the northwest."

Not if playing in the PAC-10 and before your family and friends is a consideration. Also remember that Washington was a nat'l title contender in the eighties and Oregon is now. Kids want to play for programs at that level of recognition.

Don't forget about Boise St. That program isn't going anywhere. Admission is easier than the PAC-10 schools and they'll likely pull their fair share of SoCal/Bay Area talent. Finally, there are also other programs that get talent. Fresno State (Dilfer, Volek and Carr) and San Diego State are programs that have put a lot of Q.B. talent into the pros.

Weather? It can be miserable anywhere in the country at this time of the year. I've seen SEC schools playing in absolute torrential downpours before. OTOH, how many Oregon games have you watched that were soaking wet this year?

Overblown.
                This year is an abnormality weather wise. I remember plenty of mud bowls in my playing days. (mostly highschool) What I dreaded the most were the long wet practices between games. Contacts were not an option for me at the time so I had to wear glasses. Once they got wet I could not see a damned thing. One thing I remember is that if you hold your head just right the ear holes of the helmet whistled in the wind. The coach could be yelling and screaming at you ,but all you could hear was your whistling helmet. There is a reason why Oregon has indoor practice facilities. Boise state is a relative newcomer and was not even on the radar when I was in college. Washington used to be a contender but that was several years ago, and they do not have the tradition of Ohio State/Michigan has. I can't see me going to any SEC school. Nothing wrong with them, just not my style. I think the TV exposure compares favorably to being watched in person. Just to have Keith Jackson utter my name during a game would have been one of the highlights of my life. If I could have gotten a "whoa Nelly" out of him, that would have been sweet.

Comment

bonehead Reply

"Washington...do not have the tradition of Ohio State/Michigan has."

Few do. Still they've a long history and some pretty neat players. Here's one old example-

Hugh McElhenny-Wiki

Not all west coast kids are going to stay on the west coast but there are plenty of programs out here that will accomodate top-flight players. Not all California kids can play for a California PAC-10 school. Many will head north. That's the good fortune of the Pacific northwest schools.
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

"Washington...do not have the tradition of Ohio State/Michigan has."

Few do. Still they've a long history and some pretty neat players. Here's one old example-

Hugh McElhenny-Wiki

Not all west coast kids are going to stay on the west coast but there are plenty of programs out here that will accomodate top-flight players. Not all California kids can play for a California PAC-10 school. Many will head north. That's the good fortune of the Pacific northwest schools.

ARG! Washington again. That does not cut it for an Oregon alumni. I had a good friend who was one of the trainers and I nearly got to travel with the team for the Rose Bowl. Back then Oregon was mostly mediocre but they made a conscious effort to get better and thought picking on one of the better Pac 10 teams, the dawgs would do it. "The Pick" is where Oregon started believing they could win the big games. It was also the beginning of the end for Washington.

Yes I took fiendish delight a couple of years ago when I got to call a rabid Husky fan I worked for in Redmond Wa and congratulated him on the University of Washington's perfect season. Of all the teams Oregon has played I can honestly say the animosity was greatest by far for Washington. Especially when some bozo hired Neuhiesel. Though Don James would never be popular in Eugene, and I am saying that nicely. even the Eugene hippie/pacifists wanted James' head on a pike. For the last two decades Oregon won more games and has seen post season play more than Washington. Oregon has developed a modern day tradition. Oregon has not yet lofted itself into the USC hallowed ground, but it is clear that if you want to beat USC you have a far better chance of doing it in a duck uniform than any other in the pac 10.

For your entertainment:
                    YouTube - The Pick -- 1994

Oregon pulls from Ca but they also do well on the interstate recruits and from other parts of the country. After this year even players from the East coast and SEC area will have to include Oregon as an option of where they want to play ball.

Comment

bonehead,

I've lived in Oregon since 1985. I don't need to see Kenny Wheaton. Watched the pick live on T.V. Watching Washington get beat by Oregon wasn't new to me then either. I'd watched Bill Musgrave and Anthony Newman beat the Huskies at Autzen in 1987.

Oregon was my favorite team until 2001 when I attended the Oregon-Wisconsin game at Autzen stadium and your standing-room fans stole end-zone seats from hundreds of late-arriving Wisconsin fans (to include myself). The ushers wouldn't remove them until the beginning of the second half.

Very, very rude. I quit caring about Oregon that day and haven't looked back.

Comment

That was rude no question about it. I have some other words that would hit closer to the mark but no need to wallow in the mud. Fans of this nature are a universal problem with most any team and I wish the people in charge would do more to keep such yahoos in line or shove their asses out of the gate as fans such as this do not deserve the privilege of seeing their team play in person. For what it is worth there is one associated with the university that apologies. Their behavior was totally unacceptable.

Comment

A (Somewhat) Polite Virtual Discussion About Michigan

Beware of language-

Funny stuff here.

Comment

LMAO!....................... That needs to be in a political thread. It mirrors so many of them.

Comment

Too Perfect!

FVCK Rich ROD!!!!
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

My fears were justified. Oregon pulls out a nail biter in Berkley. TCU pulled out a close win and Auburn needed a strong 4th quarter to get the win. ND showed the world how weak Utah really is. ND also proved that a good record does not mean anything unless you can beat some quality teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X