2010 College Football Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bonehead Reply

"This years civil war is shaping up to have even bigger implications (NC) than last year when the winner got to go to the Rose bowl."

Only for Oregon.

Last year was neat because both schools were playing for the same thing. This year Oregon may well be playing for a shot at the nat'l title. It will be good fodder for OSU to be in a position to deny such but it's not like a Beaver victory puts them in the NC game.

Don't see anybody who can stop Oregon except injuries and themselves. Athletic, well-schooled in an amazingly rapid tempo offensive scheme and thoroughly confident when they've the ball. Their defense is so-so but until I see a def. coordinator that can expose them, I'm unfortunately a believer.

I don't think my Badgers will play them and I'm damned glad. If Oregon wins out a re-match of last season's opener with Boise St. would be fun to watch.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Oregon and Boise state in the championship game. Network executives and the Tostitos bowl reps would crap their pants and jump from the nearest tall building. ( 2 small markets the east coast, midwest and the south do not care about) LOL. I bet they are looking to massively tweak the BS system so at least one SEC team gets in even if Auburn drops one.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
        "This years civil war is shaping up to have even bigger implications (NC) than last year when the winner got to go to the Rose bowl."

Only for Oregon.

Last year was neat because both schools were playing for the same thing. This year Oregon may well be playing for a shot at the nat'l title. It will be good fodder for OSU to be in a position to deny such but it's not like a Beaver victory puts them in the NC game.

Don't see anybody who can stop Oregon except injuries and themselves. Athletic, well-schooled in an amazingly rapid tempo offensive scheme and thoroughly confident when they've the ball. Their defense is so-so but until I see a def. coordinator that can expose them, I'm unfortunately a believer.

I don't think my Badgers will play them and I'm damned glad. If Oregon wins out a re-match of last season's opener with Boise St. would be fun to watch.
        No OSU won't get in the Championship game. However, a Rosebowl appearance is still a possibility. If Oregon does get to the big game Oregon state also has a chance to get a better bowl if the Rose bowl does not pan out. OSU still has to do their part and win some games. OSU also stands to get some cash under the Pac 10 revenue sharing plan if Oregon plays for the NC. I remember the times when OSU could go 1-10 and thought of it as a winning season as long as that single victory was against the ducks. I have no doubt OSU would covet a civil war win this year, but if not, the beavers still have hopes for a decent bowl game and thats a huge improvement over the "pre Riley" era. Reaser stadium is going to be packed and then some for the civil war. Lots of tv revenue as well. All good things.

Comment

Our O-coordinator, Paul Chryst was Riley's coord at OSU and his T.E.s coach at San Diego. OSU plays the Badgers in Madison next year. Should be interesting. Been watching them since Erik Wilhelm and Dave Kragthorpe in the mid-eighties. Slower evolutionary curve than UO. UO's has been long and slow as well until the last decade, suggesting just how difficult it's been for OSU. Still, both schools have played in BCS bowls.

OSU will be very up for the game. I don't know who wouldn't be up for UO anyway but the rivalry trumps having a #1/2 in your house. Don't think Cal or UA have a chance and KNOW the Huskies don't.
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Even though there have been some civil war blow outs lately, the beavers almost always save their best efforts for that game. On paper the ducks should easily roll the rest of the schedule. Unfortunately one can never underestimate Oregon's ability to drop an egg at Cal. Over the years no matter how awful Cal has been Oregon never hesitated to play to Cals level and end up losing. This year it should be a 30 point spread but we will see.

Air Wilhelm?

Comment

bonehead Reply

"Unfortunately one can never underestimate Oregon's ability to drop an egg at Cal."

If they do so it'll be to a back-up Q.B. Cal's lost their starting quarterback for the rest of the year to knee surgery. Locker won't play for the Huskies against Oregon either. All coming together for you guys.

"Air Wilhelm?"

None other. Had a nice little career in the pros. Given Oregon's low population and propensity to rain heavily in the fall, it's amazing the number of pro quarterbacks produced in this state-Wilhelm, Nussmeier, Harrington, Anderson, Chris Miller, Kellen Clemens, Feeley. Cade McNown spent his H.S. senior year in Oregon. May be more. Same with Washington.

Comment

Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                "Unfortunately one can never underestimate Oregon's ability to drop an egg at Cal."

If they do so it'll be to a back-up Q.B. Cal's lost their starting quarterback for the rest of the year to knee surgery. Locker won't play for the Huskies against Oregon either. All coming together for you guys.

"Air Wilhelm?"

None other. Had a nice little career in the pros. Given Oregon's low population and propensity to rain heavily in the fall, it's amazing the number of pro quarterbacks produced in this state-Wilhelm, Nussmeier, Harrington, Anderson, Chris Miller, Kellen Clemens, Feeley. Cade McNown spent his H.S. senior year in Oregon. May be more. Same with Washington.
                Norm Van Brocklin and Dan Fouts were a couple of the old timers from Oregon that made their mark. Oregon had a few more in recent history but I think they were drafted into the wrong teams and that cut their nfl careers short. It does not matter how good the quarterback is when the O line is crap.

Comment

bonehead Reply

"Norm Van Brocklin and Dan Fouts were a couple of the old timers from Oregon that made their mark."

Both played their high school ball in California. All the guys I mentioned were high school athletes from Oregon.

Comment

Ah. I did not catch that. I only looked at college. It kind of amazes me that all the sunny Ca boys come up to the Rainy PNW to play college ball.

Comment

bonehead Reply

"It kind of amazes me that all the sunny Ca boys come up to the Rainy PNW to play college ball."

It's all about an opportunity to play. California, particularly the bay area and SoCal, is a hotbed for H.S. football. If you want to play on the highest level of college football on the west coast, what do you do if you're not offered by USC, UCLA, Cal, or Stanford?

California high school football supplies Washington St., Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Fresno State, Boise State, San Diego State, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona State and Arizona with top-notch talent every year. Tons more from California high schools go to Montana, Montana St., UNLV, San Jose State and other second tier schools.

My point, however, was that there's an incredible number of top-notch high school athletes right here in the northwest that can play at the professional level.

A.J. Feeley and Kellen Clemens played ball against each other in eastern Oregon. Clemens grew up on a cattle ranch outside Burns, Oregon. Absolutely the middle of nowhere. They both attend the UofO and both get drafted into the pros. Feeley was Clemens' backup in college, btw. At the same time Derek Anderson is playing H.S. ball in Scappoose, Oregon-a tiny river town just downstream the Columbia river from Portland and attends OSU. Both Clemens and Anderson were top 10 nationally rated Q.B.s.

Washington high school football is similar. There've been a huge number of Q.B.s that have come out of that state-John Elway in particular but also the three Huard brothers in recent years. Jake Locker is from Ferndale, Washington.

Wisconsin, in contrast, has one kid that made it to the pros and he didn't even play for the state university-Tony Romo. The fall weather, especially on the west slope of the Cascades, can be horrendous for a passing attack. Sometimes it just POURS on a Friday night. So I don't buy into the idea that climate is a rationale.
                      Last edited by S2; 03 Nov 10,, 07:54.

Comment

I'm simply tired of the SEC dominance. I'd like to see BSU in the title game, but if 'Bama wins out, it won't happen (assuming Oregon can win out... the winner of the SEC title game will likely go pending any catastrophe)
                        "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

Army-Air Force tomorrow. Both have winning records and both are only one win away from being bowl eligible. Air Force is on a three game skid, but that includes losses to TCU and Utah, two very highly ranked opponents. Unfortunately, I don't think Army is ready to prevail this year, but at least it should be a contest for all four quarters for a change and hopefully they'll pull it off.
                          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Presume you'll be at the game. Go Black Knights Of The Hudson! I ALWAYS root, root, root for ol' Army. Have since I was a pup. Lot of disappointment packed into those years. May you become bowl eligible this year.

Comment

This is a bummer for Auburn if its true:

NCAA looking into recruitment of Auburn's Cam Newton

AUBURN, Ala. — A former Mississippi State player has told NCAA investigators that an agent runner claiming to represent Auburn star Cam Newton requested money in exchange for a promise that the quarterback would sign with MSU.
                              John Bond, the Bulldogs' quarterback from 1980 to 1983, told ESPN.com the runner was a former college teammate who said Newton could be bought for $180,000.
                              NCAA looking into recruitment of Auburn's Cam Newton - USATODAY.com

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                                This is a bummer for Auburn if its true:

NCAA looking into recruitment of Auburn's Cam Newton

NCAA looking into recruitment of Auburn's Cam Newton - USATODAY.com
                                I wish the NCAA could understand discretion. Either hold your tongue until you get enough evidence to go forth or hand out some indictments. If Auburn and Cam are innocent then they do not need the distraction at this point of the season. If guilty they need to step aside and let some one else in the big game and get the Heisman.

Comment

Working...
                                X