My visit today to the Battleship New Jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My visit today to the Battleship New Jersey

Today my kids and I went to the Camden aquarium to spend some time together. The aquarium was OK, there were alot of families and young kids running all over the place. Seems like the design of the aquarium is geared towards young kids which kinda ruined the visit for the three of us. It only took us a little over an hour to go through the exhibits. So it was 2pm and we were saying, what do we do now? Well, the NJ was right next door so I suggested paying it a visit. My son said yea let's go and my daughter could care less. So we paid our unexpected\unplanned visit to the Big J!

We had the tour with the headphones, you follow the red line and press the number when you pause at each station to hear a description of what you are seeing. I was the only one doing this. As I was walking my way through the ship, I was trying to remember what Rusty had talked about in his book. I would have been better reading before I went there then look for what he was talking about. One thing that surprised me was a communications room, during WWII it was a berthing area. They mentioned in the audio and on signs that they used a Commodore 64 style computer for communications. With all of the sophisticated electronic equipment the military uses, they used a Commodore 64!?!? Anyway, it was great to be on her again. When she was downriver I had volunteered for two days to help get her ready as a museum. When I was welcomed aboard I asked the gentlemen if he know of Dreadnought online from WAB, but he did not know. Anyway, here are some pictures I took if you would like to see recent shots of the NJ...

Battleship NJ pictures by ken_nj - Photobucket

You needed to ask for "Dread-ful" Dan....:)

Comment

Was that it? Darn!! There is someone else there I should ask for, an Uncle Harry, or does he go by another name?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
        Was that it? Darn!! There is someone else there I should ask for, an Uncle Harry, or does he go by another name?
        Beats me. I haven't set foot on it in 20 years. I remember it's large, gray and is pointy on the front end......

I'm sure Dread will join the thread in the A.M.

Comment

Oh dear! Somebody has gotten their histories mixed up again. When we reactivated the ships in the 1980's, there may have been a few Commodore 64 computers in some museums. We used much more state-of-the-art computers then including 3D drawings AutoCad.

However, I think the Commodores may have been used in her 1968 reactivation for Viet Nam. And then more as a word processor than an actual computer.

And DANG IT, you are very tall. A 16" HiCap is "only" 5'-4" tall (an AP is 6-foot even). And I presume that attractive young lady is your daughter.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

My neighbor has an Uncle Harry that either works or is part of the organization for the NJ. Really his Uncle from what I know. I saw\spoke to Harry a few weeks ago and he will be giving us a private tour, at least I hope. Not sure what everyone calls him around the NJ.

You can see in one of the pictures a shot of the text referring to the C64. I has a good laugh that they may have been using a C64 in the Navy when it is more of a home or personal computer.

I am 6'2" so yea pretty tall. An she is my daughter. She was very patient letting my son and I roam the ship. She was not interested in much but was really good for the 1-2 hours we were there. My kids are tall as well.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the great pictures. It must be nice to have a battleship to visit on the spur of the moment. The bunk picture brought back some memories - spent a few nights in one of those, same middle row, I didn't remember how close it was to the one above. I didn't see the cool speedometer when I was aboard BB64, I like it.
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
              If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Both my kids got into the bunks. They both laughed as they were getting out as it was pretty tight.

Not sure what level the speedo pic was from, but I was surprised it went up to 40 knots! When I saw the speedo I thought of Rusty's story about whichever ship it was going wide open with the rooster tail, then stopping full reverse. Then the other one about throwing a 2x4 over and having both rudders close up the skeg tunnels. Would have given anything to be on a ride like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                  You needed to ask for "Dread-ful" Dan....:)
                  Sorry guys, Dreads on vacation until further notice. That time of year you know.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

There are two Harry's aboard that I know of. Both being the same approximate age but I have only seen one of them recently. Both very nice guys.;)

Comment

A beautiful shot of the New Jersey at twilight.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hell of a way to mark 12,000 posts...

I'm gonna be in the NY/NJ area in August. Think I can get a tour organized?
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                          Hell of a way to mark 12,000 posts...

I'm gonna be in the NY/NJ area in August. Think I can get a tour organized?
                          Thanks BigRoss, If I'm not away at Sturgis (which is normally the first two weeks of August) It would be my pleasure.

Comment

I'm not quite sure when I'm going to be there, I do know that I'll be there on August 11 (best friend's wedding). Once I get more concrete dates, I'll drop you a PM
                            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                              I'm not quite sure when I'm going to be there, I do know that I'll be there on August 11 (best friend's wedding). Once I get more concrete dates, I'll drop you a PM
                              You got it and we will see what works.;)

Comment

Working...
                              X