Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Clegg names price for Labour: no Gordon Brown

Nick Clegg names price for Labour: no Gordon Brown

The Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg made clear today that he would be prepared to support a Labour Party that had slumped to third in the share of the vote — but not if Gordon Brown remained in No 10.

With opinion polls pointing to a hung Parliament, Mr Clegg said it would be “inexplicable” for Mr Brown to remain as Prime Minister if his party finished with fewer votes than the Tories or Lib Dems, even if Labour had the most seats.

But he said he would be prepared to work with anyone else within Labour or any other party that was prepared to deliver his aims — including electoral reform, which is an “absolute pre-condition” for renewing British politics.

It was the most explicit statement of intent yet from the Lib Dem leader, who is looking increasingly as if he might hold the balance of power after May 6.
    Related Links

Speaking on a visit to Lady Haig’s Poppy Factory in Edinburgh, Mr Clegg said that he would co-operate with whichever party was prepared to offer fairer taxes, a shake-up of the education system, economic reform and wholesale changes to Westminster politics.

Under political convention, Mr Brown would be offered the chance to form a government in the event of a hung Parliament fafter next Thursday’s election. But, Mr Clegg said: “I think, if Labour do come third in terms of the number of votes cast, then people would find it inexplicable that Gordon Brown himself could carry on as Prime Minister, which is what the old convention would dictate.”

He added: “As for who I’d work with, I’ve been very clear — much clearer than David Cameron and Gordon Brown — that I will work with anyone, I will work with a man from the Moon, I don’t care, with anyone who can deliver the greater fairness that I think people want.”

Put to him that he would work with the “man from the Moon but not Gordon Brown”, he said: “I don’t think Gordon Brown — and I’ve got nothing personal about him — I just don’t think the British people would accept that he could carry on as Prime Minister, which is what the convention of old politics dictates when, or rather if, he were to lose the election in such spectacular style.”

In an interview with Sky News Mr Clegg was pressed on whether he would be prepared to work with alternative Labour figures such as Alan Johnson or David Miliband. He said: “I will seek with whomever else to deliver those big changes that I want, in the way the economy is run, the way the tax system works, the way our education system works and, of course, cleaning up politics from top to toe.”

Mr Johnson, the Home Secretary, yesterday went further than any senior Labour figure in suggesting his party would be ready to open up a debate on proportional representation (PR) for Westminster elections.

At a press conference in Edinburgh Mr Clegg was asked whether the Lib Dems would “hold the country to ransom” by withholding their support unless they got a proportional voting system.

He said: “My position is — because of the eccentricities and unfairness of the electoral system, which has now become more obvious than ever before — I think electoral reform is a first step which any government of whatever composition needs to introduce to start restoring public trust in the political system.”

He added: “I don’t think after this election it will ever be possible to put the genie back in the bottle. Electoral reform is an absolute pre-condition for renewal in this country.”

Mr Cameron this morning avoided making an explicit commitment to preserving the first-past-the-post system for Westminster elections. But he made it clear that he did not want to ditch the voting method and made it more difficult for himself to cut a post-election deal with the Lib Dems by saying that a change to PR would be a “big, big mistake” and would lead to a situation where politicians ruled by “haggling and scheming”.

“This is the great con of PR,” he said. “It doesn’t put power in the hands of the people, it puts power in the hands of politicians.”

Mr Clegg told the BBC: “It’s quite clear that David Cameron wants to set his face against any serious change in our politics.”
    Related Links

A senior Lib Dem source said that the decision to demand the head of Mr Brown in exchange for support was taken in response to polls indicating that Labour could have the most seats even if it received fewer votes than the other two main parties.

The source said that the Lib Dems had now made clear their position in two possible scenarios after the votes had been counted. They have previously said that a party with the greatest number of seats and the greatest number of votes would have the first chance to form a government either on their own or with support.

The Lib Dem source said: “What we suggest to David Cameron and Gordon Brown is that they should set out what they intend to do if no party has an overall majority.”

The party would not necessarily require Cabinet posts in exchange for support in a coalition government. “We have said all along this is about political priorities, not bums on Cabinet seats,” the source said.

Labour’s campaign co-ordinator, Douglas Alexander, said that Mr Clegg was overplaying his hand before the voters had even spoken — and said that a vote for the Lib Dems risked letting the Tories in.

“My sense is that Nick Clegg has somewhat overreached himself, maybe intoxicated by all the publicity he has received by getting into the speculation business,” Mr Alexander said. “He has shown clear and consistent hostility to Labour in recent days. If you flirt with Nick Clegg you will find yourself married with David Cameron. We think that is a powerful argument.”
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Smart lad. if Labor is smart it will take him up on it. If Brown has any homour he will put the party first & walk if that is the price of a deal. Brown is a Albatross around their necks.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Having said that, he has to be careful about looking like he will keep an unpopular government in power. Balance of power is a tricky thing indeed.
      sigpic

Comment

It's interesting to see the British populace wake up to the fact that FPP maybe isn't the best of all systems. The LibDems insistence on electoral reform is the more important factor in this than whether they'll work with Brown or not IMO.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          It's interesting to see the British populace wake up to the fact that FPP maybe isn't the best of all systems. The LibDems insistence on electoral reform is the more important factor in this than whether they'll work with Brown or not IMO.

Important in an immediate electoral sense, or more in the longer term sense?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
            Important in an immediate electoral sense, or more in the longer term sense?
            Longer term. They don't need to go the whole hog with MMP the way we did, but we have demonstrated you can fit a form of PR within a westminster system without, as it's critics claim, everything going to hell in a handbasket.
            Both the UK and the US have demonstrated that monlithic two party systems don't respond well to a fast paced environment and create high levels of disenfranchisement.
            In comparison 78 of the current 122 seats in the NZ parliament have a direct input in Govt. policy. Right wing govt. (goes without saying) 58 seats, extreme right wing 5 seats, Maori 5 seats, Greens 9 seats, and 2 middle-of-the-road/family-values.
            In the UK, Labour or the Tories could hold power with far less than 50% of the vote, and the choice for the electorate comes down to a rock or a hard place. The idea that Labour could hold far more seats than the Lib Dems despite equivalent vote counts is ridiculous.

Leibniz

Comment

So has anyone else been watching the debates? The last one was interesting, all 3 of them seemed to be trying to out-do the others on how much free stuff they promised. Free bus passes, free heat, free this, free that...

Lol. Do brits pay for anything?
              "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                So has anyone else been watching the debates? The last one was interesting, all 3 of them seemed to be trying to out-do the others on how much free stuff they promised. Free bus passes, free heat, free this, free that...

Lol. Do brits pay for anything?
                Welcome to how things are done in the Commonwealth. Governments save money throughout their terms and then splurge at election time, promising everything bar the kitchen sink to voters and extolling the benefits of fiscal responsibility (because they where saving so they could splurge). Every election the vicious cycle repeats.

If it didn't actually affect our hip pocket it would actually be quite funny.
                The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                  Longer term. They don't need to go the whole hog with MMP the way we did, but we have demonstrated you can fit a form of PR within a westminster system without, as it's critics claim, everything going to hell in a handbasket.
                  Both the UK and the US have demonstrated that monlithic two party systems don't respond well to a fast paced environment and create high levels of disenfranchisement.
                  In comparison 78 of the current 122 seats in the NZ parliament have a direct input in Govt. policy. Right wing govt. (goes without saying) 58 seats, extreme right wing 5 seats, Maori 5 seats, Greens 9 seats, and 2 middle-of-the-road/family-values.
                  In the UK, Labour or the Tories could hold power with far less than 50% of the vote, and the choice for the electorate comes down to a rock or a hard place. The idea that Labour could hold far more seats than the Lib Dems despite equivalent vote counts is ridiculous.
                  I thought that was what you meant. DO you think the Tories could run a scare based on the LDs planning to 'destroy or democratic/ or traditional system?'. This would require Clegg to be dumb enough to commit to anything concrete, but this is the nation that gave us the 'longest suicide note in history', so all things are possible. If he has left himself open to this he deserves what he gets.

I'll be curious to see what sort of deals the LDs cut. Britain is definately overdue for some parliamentary reform. Even if they repalced the Lords with some form of proportionally elected system (based on counties or regions, for example) & gave it genuine house of review powers it would be a big leap forwards. I wonder, therefore, if there will be an attempt to reform both, or if it will only be one, and then which one? A truly fascinating election. As you point out, if Labor manages to cling to some sort of power with way more seats than its vote percentage would indicate the call for reform may become widespread.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X