This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wellman View Post
    thank you. I understand it alot better now. I thought it was more like the european class system of the feudal age.
    Actually it is similar to that in that you get born into your caste...

Comment

Originally posted by Hindu_Infidel View Post
      Legal term for "backward" is "scheduled castes" or "scheduled tribes". What is the criteria for being "backward"? Who the f#ck knows. Do the backward worship a god with 2 extra hands and legs? Who knows.
      Speaking anything against the backward community will get you labelled as a "racist". Riots might broke out. If a minister tries to sort out this "business" of caste system, he will be in deep shit.
      Then you are not qualified to comment. Shut up. Sorry for strong wordings but still Shut up.

There are backward muslim reservations. There are backward christian reservations.
      Nothing there in Contitution like that. SC first stayed- then approved it and now again has taken it up for fresh hearing.

the parliament is about to pass a bill which will reserve 1/3rd women in parliament.
      This has nothing to do with Caste system. This has more to do with Gender equality and I for one is strictly for it.

Plus 33% reservations for these women who are "naturally" honest and will never accept a bribe in there lives because "they are women".That means half of the parliament is reserved and the general class cannot vote for them.
      What ?????
      WAB forbids drunken posting

Comment

I have to do a report on this. Can any of you guys give me some info?
        Oh I will research it since I need sorces for the paper. Basicly I just want to know how it effects your everyday life or how it effects politics. I can olny ask you basic things not the history of it.
        Depending on a person's stake/thoughts/experiences on this subject, you might get very different views so this is not the place. However below are certain links that you might find usefull.

1) This is pretty informative(Wikipedia to start with. Once you understand a little, then click on other links to dig deepeer.Caste system in India
        2) The Caste System in India
        3) A Good Google Timeline is here.caste system in india history

Once you are done with this and need more, PM, I might be able to recommend some good books

Comment

My understanding is the caste system is very much alive in Rural India, it's just the good old prejudice that sits at the core of racism, homophobia etc. In urban India the well-to-do of the backward classes, so called creamy layer, have managed to become a political block that no political-party dares to question.

The concept of affirmative action, called reservation in India, has been twisted beyond belief to suit the "creamy layer" of the backward classes. But numerically they are not much and the vast majority of people in backward classes live a hard life.

India also seems to have a fascination for "reservation", reservation for woman, reservation for backward/SC/ST, reservation for muslims etc. All that the reservation have done is create a "creamy" layer of beneficiaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Sumku View Post
            Depending on a person's stake/thoughts/experiences on this subject, you might get very different views so this is not the place. However below are certain links that you might find usefull.

1) This is pretty informative(Wikipedia to start with. Once you understand a little, then click on other links to dig deepeer.Caste system in India
            2) The Caste System in India
            3) A Good Google Timeline is here.caste system in india history

Once you are done with this and need more, PM, I might be able to recommend some good books
            oh i must be careful with wikipedia. my teacher (Mr.Hood) told us that wikipedia MUST not be a major sorce.

Comment

Then you are not qualified to comment.
              The fear of being called a racist is the reason why im not qualified to comment? Please be kind enough to let me know the required qualification.

Shut up. Sorry for strong wordings but still Shut up.
              This is what you said...
              1) Shut up
              2) Sorry for strong wordings
              3) but still Shut up

Hehe desi english. What are you trying to say?

Nothing there in Contitution like that. SC first stayed- then approved it and now again has taken it up for fresh hearing.
              States have there own reservations that they follow.

This has nothing to do with Caste system. This has more to do with Gender equality and I for one is strictly for it.
              It's all connected. Caste system is still prevalent because of reservation politics. You implemented caste reservations after independence hoping that it would reduce discrimination but it didn't. Your experiment has already proved a failure. Decades have passed and the so called SC/ST's in the urban have found a way use it for there own benefit. Your filling the govt with incompetent employees who have reached that stature because of no work of there own.

What gender inequality? You telling me women are naturally honest and hard working because there women? You telling me filling half the parliament with women will reduce gender inequality? There are male politicians in every constituency who have no other job but to be a politician. They will not change there profession. You very well know that these politicians will put there wives or daughters or other family members in there place to fight elections. Most of the 50% women you will see in the parliament will be nothing more than proxies of there husbands or fathers. Mere puppets whose strings will be pulled from who knows where.

Dump your desi mentality and think rationally and not emotionally. Nobody wants your caste system. The steps you taken to combat it are proven to be failures but still you continue your desi traditions minus evaluation in the name of equality.

What ?????
              WAB forbids drunken posting
              Either talk rationally or im not replying to your posts any more. You want to put up a show for the readers, you do it alone.
              Last edited by Hindu_Infidel; 25 Apr 10,, 10:46.

Comment

Your right. There can be only two views. It's either "caste system in theory" or "caste system in practice".

Comment

oh i must be careful with wikipedia. my teacher (Mr.Hood) told us that wikipedia MUST not be a major sorce.
                  Wellman,

Mr Hood is right, you need to be careful with Wiki. What it is great for, however, is references. There will be stuff in the footnotes which is very useful. Some will be in links, others might require a trip to a decent library. There is probably enough in there to do your project successfully.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by pChan View Post
                    India also seems to have a fascination for "reservation", reservation for woman, reservation for backward/SC/ST, reservation for muslims etc. All that the reservation have done is create a "creamy" layer of beneficiaries.
                    I think you have figured it out well. India's free speech policy is very simple... that i can say whatever i want (so long as it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings)

Basically and candidly said, there's no free speech in india and hence people cannot question the system or things around them because of the fear that you might end up in a cell block. This sort of rationale produces interesting outcomes so complex and intertwined that continuing the flaw is more benefiting than to undo what has been done.

The caste system is actually a sort of a social boycott. A selected sect of people who are labelled "immoral" and it could be because of several things. Could be because there poor, could be because of there hygiene, lifestyle, customs, non-vegetarian, bastardised traditions having islamic traces etc etc

It is important to know what it is before you begin to make policies to undo it.

Comment

I think you have figured it out well. India's free speech policy is very simple... that i can say whatever i want (so long as it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings)

Basically and candidly said, there's no free speech in india and hence people cannot question the system or things around them because of the fear that you might end up in a cell block. This sort of rationale produces interesting outcomes so complex and intertwined that continuing the flaw is more benefiting than to undo what has been done.
                      Agree 100% with you on this.
                      How many times have we seen various anti social and violent actions perpetrated under the excuse of "they hurt the sentiments of the people".
                      The vast majority simply do not comprehend that free speech means not only agreeing with somebody's view but more importantly having the freedom to disagree strongly as well without risk to life and limb
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

There is no total free speech akin to America's first amendment, but surely there are enough freedoms for most groups to voice concerns. When the new reservation for OBC was announced there were a lot of protests, the ones that were noticed were the doctors, because their protest/strike had a real impact that unnerved the govt.

The only saving grace is that there is no reservation in private sector, until now. And there is the factor that most members of the 2 main parties (congress & BJP) are from the upper castes who themselves are against further reservation.

Comment

It's all connected. Caste system is still prevalent because of reservation politics. You implemented caste reservations after independence hoping that it would reduce discrimination but it didn't. Your experiment has already proved a failure. Decades have passed and the so called SC/ST's in the urban have found a way use it for there own benefit. Your filling the govt with incompetent employees who have reached that stature because of no work of there own.

What gender inequality? You telling me women are naturally honest and hard working because there women? You telling me filling half the parliament with women will reduce gender inequality? There are male politicians in every constituency who have no other job but to be a politician. They will not change there profession. You very well know that these politicians will put there wives or daughters or other family members in there place to fight elections. Most of the 50% women you will see in the parliament will be nothing more than proxies of there husbands or fathers. Mere puppets whose strings will be pulled from who knows where.

Dump your desi mentality and think rationally and not emotionally. Nobody wants your caste system. The steps you taken to combat it are proven to be failures but still you continue your desi traditions minus evaluation in the name of equality.

Either talk rationally or im not replying to your posts any more. You want to put up a show for the readers, you do it alone.
                          lol. Caste based topics have never turned out too great on this board. Though, I do agree with all you have said. Except maybe the women, the gender difference isn't exactly all man-made; genetically, males and females are indeed different, so those reservations i'm not totally against, but 50% is a very illogical number and only thrown forth to stall the whole process. The original 33% makes the thing more reasonable. Also, I don't think anyone, especially a women, will be a proxy to anyone with less power than her. :))

Originally posted by pChan
                          And there is the factor that most members of the 2 main parties (congress & BJP) are from the upper castes who themselves are against further reservation.
                          I really am not comfortable with that trend of thinking. It is a perfect example of discriminatory thinking, you're pretty much saying that you don't have much to worry about as long as "high caste" people sit in the highest reaches of power. Its that sort of thinking which gives legitimacy to the push for more reservations, and, to shoot down your little theory, in a democracy, it doesn't matter if the top rung are high caste or low caste, it is the people voting them in who matter; thought you would have caught on to that, after decades of your "high caste" leaders implementing reservations for "low caste" left and right.
                          Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                          -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

You sure are not thinking about doing a Copy-Paste?
                            This is for your understanding. As I have mentioned above, that depending on one's own experience, one's locus-standi on this matter could be different. Use it to gain knowledge about what is what and have your opinion. Once you are clear, you will no issues understanding what is what.

Comment

The fear of being called a racist is the reason why im not qualified to comment? Please be kind enough to let me know the required qualification.
                              Because of this
                              Legal term for "backward" is "scheduled castes" or "scheduled tribes". What is the criteria for being "backward"? Who the f#ck knows. Do the backward worship a god with 2 extra hands and legs? Who knows.
                              Since you dont know, then you need to STFU

This is what you said...
                              1) Shut up
                              2) Sorry for strong wordings
                              3) but still Shut up.
                              Hehe desi english. What are you trying to say?
                              Something tells me that you wont get it...ever.STFU

States have there own reservations that they follow.
                              I said this
                              Nothing there in Contitution like that. SC first stayed- then approved it and now again has taken it up for fresh hearing
                              So you need to STFU unless you can get me the name of one state that has implemented Religion based reservation.AP tried that but SC struck it down-okayed it and has again taken it up for fresh hearing via Contitutional bench.

You implemented caste reservations after independence hoping that it would reduce discrimination but it didn't. Your experiment has already proved a failure. Decades have passed and the so called SC/ST's in the urban have found a way use it for there own benefit. Your filling the govt with incompetent employees who have reached that stature because of no work of there own.
                              Unless you can clarify the meaning of highlighted words, I'll be tempted to report this post as racist to Mods.

You are the first person in the world who thinks that gender inequality has anything to do with moral uprighteousness and honesty.No dumbo, its about having adequate representation from the gender that contitutes 50% of India's population.Its quite ironic that 50% of Indias population is represented by less than 5% of our elected representatives.

Unless you can clarify the meaning of highlighted words, I'll be tempted to report this post as racist to Mods.
                              Last edited by Sumku; 25 Apr 10,, 21:21.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                                Agree 100% with you on this.
                                How many times have we seen various anti social and violent actions perpetrated under the excuse of "they hurt the sentiments of the people".
                                The vast majority simply do not comprehend that free speech means not only agreeing with somebody's view but more importantly having the freedom to disagree strongly as well without risk to life and limb
                                No.
                                The same vast Majority of people whom you are referring to, I interact with them and can tell you that this subject of reservation/caste system/Mandal Comission is very sensitive to them. You just have to talk without any name calling.

Now I come from General category aka upper class, and what made hindu_infidel(I think his avatar name is not appropriate) to asssume that I am not. His implications like you-your etc could have easily been construed by me as racist had I belonged to an SC/ST/OBC.

Comment

Working...
                                X