149 Years Ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 149 Years Ago

The South began the bombardment of the federal fort, Fort Sumter, sparking the hostilities that would enflame the United States for four long years. The Sesquicentennial celebrations starting next year should be interesting.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Spring is here. Staff ride?
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
      Spring is here. Staff ride?
      I wish. I'm behind on the master bath remodel. I'm just now doing up the pocket doors framing and need to finish out the accessory blocking and run electrical before I can do the rough-in inspection and then bring in the drywaller and tiler. Compounding matters (in a good way) is we just had kid #4 three weeks early.

I'd love to be able to walk some of the Overland Campaign battlegrounds in 2-4 weeks at the same time as it happened 146 years ago so I could get a feel for the exact light conditions and similar weather (maybe). For example, part of Upton's success at Spotsylvania was probably due to the setting sun (in addition to a good infiltration route against the salient), but seeing that and verifying that would be useful.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
        I wish. I'm behind on the master bath remodel. I'm just now doing up the pocket doors framing and need to finish out the accessory blocking and run electrical before I can do the rough-in inspection and then bring in the drywaller and tiler. Compounding matters (in a good way) is we just had kid #4 three weeks early.

I'd love to be able to walk some of the Overland Campaign battlegrounds in 2-4 weeks at the same time as it happened 146 years ago so I could get a feel for the exact light conditions and similar weather (maybe). For example, part of Upton's success at Spotsylvania was probably due to the setting sun (in addition to a good infiltration route against the salient), but seeing that and verifying that would be useful.
        Yes, probably wishful thinking on my part as well. But in 3-4 weeks? Who knows. Interesting idea on Spotsylvania. I suppose you have the actual times of the day tied to events.

Since we spoke, I started the basement theater, now expanded to a full basement finish. We got our rough-in inspections today; passed; drywall tomorrow. Will have another job running concurrently--also a basement theater job starting May 1. That and all the in between jobs is keeping us busy.

Congrats on the addition to the family. It does complicate things, but, yes, in a nice way.
        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Congrats on the latest. Having three older siblings to take care of you is always fun.
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
            Yes, probably wishful thinking on my part as well. But in 3-4 weeks? Who knows. Interesting idea on Spotsylvania. I suppose you have the actual times of the day tied to events.

Since we spoke, I started the basement theater, now expanded to a full basement finish. We got our rough-in inspections today; passed; drywall tomorrow. Will have another job running concurrently--also a basement theater job starting May 1. That and all the in between jobs is keeping us busy.

Congrats on the addition to the family. It does complicate things, but, yes, in a nice way.
            JAD,
            It was right around 6PM at Spotsylvania (it'd probably take a tiny bit of research to see how far to adjust off of Daylight Savings Time since they didn't use it back then, but more importantly would be the specific day and angle of the earth relative to the sun): Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania National Military Park - Virtual Tour Stop, Upton's Road (U.S. National Park Service).

Sounds like your work is going well. I'd sign up for a tech account at Cables to Go so you can get large discounts on all your A/V materials. I was hoping to go to rough-in on Friday, but I always seem to just barely slip each day in terms of how much I get done so it'll be Monday now I'm pretty sure. At least that means that next Wed/Thurs I'll have drywall back up again and my bedroom won't swing between 60 degrees and 85 degrees with the weather! I may be able to get mom and baby out of the basement in a few weeks and up with me in the bedroom.

Comment

JAD,
              It was right around 6PM at Spotsylvania (it'd probably take a tiny bit of research to see how far to adjust off of Daylight Savings Time since they didn't use it back then, but more importantly would be the specific day and angle of the earth relative to the sun): Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania National Military Park - Virtual Tour Stop, Upton's Road (U.S. National Park Service).

Sounds like your work is going well. I'd sign up for a tech account at Cables to Go so you can get large discounts on all your A/V materials. I was hoping to go to rough-in on Friday, but I always seem to just barely slip each day in terms of how much I get done so it'll be Monday now I'm pretty sure. At least that means that next Wed/Thurs I'll have drywall back up again and my bedroom won't swing between 60 degrees and 85 degrees with the weather! I may be able to get mom and baby out of the basement in a few weeks and up with me in the bedroom.
              Shek

1. Congrats on the new addition. I guess you just don't like sleep! And I guess the big screen in the man cave will be rocking Dora the Explorer more than naything!

2. Wright's aide, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., timed the start of Upton's assault as 6:35 PM local. There are numerous reports that it was almost at sundown. Heaby smoke in the area from Union artillery fire coupled with Confederate defenses facing NW into the setting sun may have had an impact on the outcome. My research shows it was more just a good tactic well done.

Gordon Rhea covers it well in his The Battles for Spotsylvania Court House and the Road to Yellow Tavern.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

I may be able to get mom and baby out of the basement in a few weeks and up with me in the bedroom.
                You keep them in the basement ???

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                  Wives and children of Majors have to be tough. No doubt you softies have 'fresh air' every day

Comment

I was out driving this evening and looked to the NW at 7:26 PM EDT.

There was a farm field about 300 yards across to a woodline....exactly like standing in Doles Salient.

It was like looking into a searchlight.

Good call Shek!
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

I think I'll visit Wilson's creek in Springfield, MO around August 10th in observance.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                        I was out driving this evening and looked to the NW at 7:26 PM EDT.

There was a farm field about 300 yards across to a woodline....exactly like standing in Doles Salient.

It was like looking into a searchlight.

Good call Shek!
                        I'd agree with your earlier post that potential favorable light conditions was not the sole reason for success, but standing at the jump off point back in Oct about two hours before sunset, I couldn't help but wonder what impact it had. It'd be interesting to get a hold of some primary source accounts describing the attack to see what the defenders had to say about the sunset and its impact on the assault.

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                          With four girls plus my wife, the king of the house has to keep the women in check!

Either that or my wife isn't too keen on the bedroom temp ranging from 60-85 degrees depending on the weather and doesn't like the sawdust either

Comment

Access

I envy the access you guys have to some tremendous revolutionary and civil war battlefields. Simply invaluable to not only be able to go there easily but to return again and again.
                            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
                            X