Iowa Commissioning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
    That's ok, you got me to open "The Yellow Book" and thumb through it.
    Never mind. It isn't there. I intended to put that in, somewhere such as Battleship Class Problems, but due to the small size of the book (7" X 10") I had to cut a bunch of stuff out. I was already at the requirement of 7/8" margins and I didn't want to shrink the printing down any narrower than it is.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
      For a great picture of the ships of the line, I hope all is forgiven about "bandwidth' !!! :))

Telephoto lenses make everything flatten in perspective, so how many yards do ships close on each other ?

Second who has the jpeg of this event ???
      I would like to try my hand at Adobe and photoshop for a poster.... ;)
      *Depends, on what ships are in line, some stop much faster then others given the forward momentum of the BB's as compared to the others. The Carriers have enough power to run away if need be (quartermaster's responsibility). You have to keep in mind these ships had not been in line for some time and the handling of them takes Copius practice.

*4 up and 4 down in PM unless ofcoarse they had to be somewhere in a hurry. The Snipes claim 4 at full load (optimum conditions) semi clean boilers, good fuel and cold air would supply up to 28 knots at peak condition and the rest as needed. Figure 4 boiler at up to 600psi+ before a possible of tripping the safety's but the safety's are rated for just a bit higher. The remaining is to push her weight slowly but surely up to top speed. The others dont even want to be in her wake at that point. As Rusty has mentioned before, for such a large ship, rooster tail and one hell of a following wake for those that are. Lets just say this, the BB's were no slauch when it came to speed and the distance it took to achive it. All in how she was handled by the Chief of Engineering.
      Last edited by Dreadnought; 13 Mar 10,, 08:14.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Looking at the picture it still amazes me how tall the Long Beach's superstructure was and how much armament she carried. Wow!

Rusty, any thoughts as to why they discontinued the nuclear powered cruisers? To expensive to operate or something of that nature since I dont recall ever hearing about accidents onboard?
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Great photo. To me its worth the band-width use :)

Just wondering, can anyone tell if I am right in thinking that the ship behind Long Beach is a Kidd-class destroyer?

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
            Another excellent picture of the two together at sea. This time on the gun line. This picture was taken from the Big "E" USS Enterprise. New Jersey is followed by Missouri with the nuclear powered guided missle cruiser Long Beach (CGN-9) in the background followed by to DDG's. Red flag up on New Jersey means shes going "hot". Mo has a yellow flag up in this picture.
            Sorry TH for eating bandwidth.:))

God! What I would have given to be there!

What a majestic sight, they maybe of a bygone era but I wish we could have at least one on the high seas.

Look at the impact the New Jersey had in Vietnam.

Comment

Originally posted by tmasi View Post
              Great photo. To me its worth the band-width use :)

Just wondering, can anyone tell if I am right in thinking that the ship behind Long Beach is a Kidd-class destroyer?
              No, I think it's just a "standard" Spruance class Destroyer. Note the CIWS at the starboard side above the bridge. We had a heck of a time coming up with a better reinforcement of the deck than the planning yard did.

Behind it is a Knox class Frigate with the NAVSEA wobbly mast instead of the more stable LBNSY (Bob Riha) mast.
              Last edited by RustyBattleship; 14 Mar 10,, 03:35.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Working...
              X