New computer stats & Sound card questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer stats & Sound card questions

So apparently there was something else wrong with my comp and it's finally given up the ghost after more than 6 years of faithful service.

Gotta get a new one and I wanted some decent horsepower

So here's the stats:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Intel Core i5-750 2.66GHz 8M LGA1156 Processor
    4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 1333MHz Memory (2GB x 2)
    ATI Radeon HD4650 1GB PCIe (1DVI / 1VGA / 1HDMI)
    MSI P55-CD53 ATX Motherboard
    500 Watt Power Supply
    22X DVDRW SATA Drive
    320GB 7200RPM 3G SATA II Hard Drive

In addition, I already have an 80GB and a 160GB hard drive(s), plus a 300GB external to add to it.

Total is $830 out the door. So how did I do? :)
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Don't you need a couple of terabyte drives to hold all that pr0n...I mean research data?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      Don't you need a couple of terabyte drives to hold all that pr0n...I mean research data?
      I have all the storage space I need...plus online backup (all 380GB of it!) ;)
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Why the HD 4650? Go for the HD4870 its pretty cheap these days and packs more of a punch.
        Remember....Starcraft II is in Beta :)

I hope you also got a modular 80% efficiency rated power supply for it.
        So which cool looking case are you planning on enclosing all these components in? Might i recommend this.

Last edited by bolo121; 24 Feb 10,, 07:11.
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

A week and a half ago I bought an HP DV7-3165dx from Best Buy. Came out to $850 or so, and it's got all the specs you mentioned, plus a couple better ones, all in a laptop with a 17.3" screen.

HP Pavilion dv7-3165dx Entertainment Notebook PC Product Specifications - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Your graphic card will not be able to use direct X 11 (the current version) but only direct X 10.1

Though since you used your old machine for 6 years I doubt that this would really matter to you.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
              A week and a half ago I bought an HP DV7-3165dx from Best Buy. Came out to $850 or so, and it's got all the specs you mentioned, plus a couple better ones, all in a laptop with a 17.3" screen.

HP Pavilion dv7-3165dx Entertainment Notebook PC Product Specifications - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
              Checked out the specs, he's got you beat on cpu (corei5s beat out even top of the range phenom IIs), Mobo and GPU. Besides laptops that big tend to heat up a lot.

Comment

Actually, even when I'm running high end games or movies, the CPU temp stays in the low-mid 50's C.
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

I use a laptop , which runs like a snail , it has 1gb of ram ?? which i am told is the reason for the snailspace , how do i upgrade it ,, forsooth , (cheaply) ;)

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                    Why the HD 4650? Go for the HD4870 its pretty cheap these days and packs more of a punch.
                    Remember....Starcraft II is in Beta :)
                    I'm kinda/sorta regretting getting that video card, but then again I don't really play today's high-speed low-drag games and I don't do online gaming at all, never have, probably never will.

My tastes run very old-school: Civ IV (and Civ V when it comes out this fall), Sid Meier's Pirates, Star Wars Empire At War etc. It'll be nice to play Star Wars at full graphics settings for once

If I really need to, I'll get a new card someday but I don't really see that happening.

hope you also got a modular 80% efficiency rated power supply for it.
                    Just what they offered with it, the stats weren't listed. When it comes in I'll let you know though

So which cool looking case are you planning on enclosing all these components in? Might i recommend this.
                    That was the easiest decision of all: The casing can be just as dull as a granite rock. I have absolutely no need for any kind of flash when it comes to the case. To me, it's a total waste of money, inasmuch as it's going to be tucked under my desk unseen by pretty much everybody.

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                    Your graphic card will not be able to use direct X 11 (the current version) but only direct X 10.1

Though since you used your old machine for 6 years I doubt that this would really matter to you.
                    You're right, it's not really a concern, unless of course Civ V requires Directx 11

Is that graphics card really that outdated already? Or is Directx 11 simply that new?

Checked out the specs, he's got you beat on cpu (corei5s beat out even top of the range phenom IIs), Mobo and GPU. Besides laptops that big tend to heat up a lot.
                    Well that's good to hear at least. A good solid CPU that has the specs to last the life of the computer (another 6 years I hope!) is probably my one overriding requirement.

Comment

Directx 11 is still pretty new (came with Win 7). You don't need it to play any actual games (even direct x 9 would still be enough, at least for the moment), but you cannot see the next generation of games in all their graphic glory. So unless you are waiting for Crysis 2 or similar games your card will do just fine (though you should keep in mind that it is virtual impossible to upgrade your card if you buy a notebook, so you are pretty much stuck with this card till your next complete system)

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
                        Directx 11 is still pretty new (came with Win 7). You don't need it to play any actual games (even direct x 9 would still be enough, at least for the moment), but you cannot see the next generation of games in all their graphic glory. So unless you are waiting for Crysis 2 or similar games your card will do just fine (though you should keep in mind that it is virtual impossible to upgrade your card if you buy a notebook, so you are pretty much stuck with this card till your next complete system)
                        Well that's a relief. No, I have no intention of buying the next generation of Über-Powerful Graphics games. Like I said, Civ V is more my speed.

And it'll be a mid-sized tower, so upgrading should be a snap. :)

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          I'm kinda/sorta regretting getting that video card, but then again I don't really play today's high-speed low-drag games and I don't do online gaming at all, never have, probably never will.
                          Hey me too I have never ever played any of todays online MMOs. Saw Cod 4 once on a friends system but all the profanity spewing teenagers were too much.
                          Actually from a price performance point of view a HD 4870 or even a 4890 give you more bang for buck. I am no hard core gamer (no energy after a day at work) but i still sometimes load something like red alert 3 or sins of a solar empire for an hour or so. So if they would let you trade it in it would be a good idea.

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          That was the easiest decision of all: The casing can be just as dull as a granite rock. I have absolutely no need for any kind of flash when it comes to the case. To me, it's a total waste of money, inasmuch as it's going to be tucked under my desk unseen by pretty much everybody.
                          Aww thats too bad such a sweet machine should be shown off a bit..:))
                          Last edited by bolo121; 24 Feb 10,, 15:52.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                            Actually, even when I'm running high end games or movies, the CPU temp stays in the low-mid 50's C.
                            Whats the ambient temp where you are? Unless you are doing somethin like Crysis:WH maxed out or MW2 you shouldnt be seeing 50s. Even here in india my cpu sits at around 43 to 48 depending on load.

Comment

So if they would let you trade it in it would be a good idea.
                              I'm just going to stick with it. After what I've been using (a strictly average video card from 2004) this is going to be a quantum leap in capability, to say nothing of the RAM and CPU. God I can't wait!!!

Aww thats too bad such a sweet machine should be shown off a bit..:))
                              Nobody to show it off to

Comment

Working...
                              X