Best survival rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    For real world survival scenarios, as opposed to the reds invading or zombie apocalypse, I would go with a break action 22LR/410 combo rifle/shotgun.
    Ehmm! What's not real about invading hordes of Communist zombies?

No, James Cameron, you can't steal my terrible idea and make it into a feature film. You've done enough damage for one year.
    Last edited by Stan187; 12 Feb 10,, 08:30. Reason: Yeah you're right, its James, same difference
    In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
    The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

James Cameron, you mean?

Ever watched this Norwegian movie called Dead Snow? Nazi zombies...

They could have used a survival rifle or two. Not the zombies, the protagonists.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

James Cameron, you mean?

Ever watched this Norwegian movie called Dead Snow? Nazi zombies...

They could have used a survival rifle or two. Not the zombies, the protagonists.
        No, but I've seen poster, looked kinda comical.

I bet, or at least a machete.
        In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
        The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
          Tulsa might be a bit of a stretch in a Piper Lance. Done El Paso so yeah it's doable. I think I'll be saving that one for when I go to Ada.;)
          I guess that is two or three stops for fuel in one of those. Top off in OK if you do, the fuel is cheaper than AZ or NM I think.;)

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
            WHAT!!?? Only two days to see 4,100 tables. What an outrage.
            I know! I think it should last at least four or five.

they say if you are there from open to close both days you have only 16 seconds to look at each table. I usually go through just scanning for something I want and writing down locations of those who have it and then go with the better deal.

Comment

It's not that big. I've been to the one at Cashman Center and Tropicana. Cashman Center is near the intersection of I15 and 95...or something. It may not be big but it's still way better than the one in Costa Mesa.
              The good things about the Costa Mesa Show......Full Bar, the Bianchi guy witht the factory second holsters for way cheap, 80 dollar holsters for 20-25, I thought it was a nice littlt show to kill a saturday morning, then over to the Goat Hill tavern, or the beachball.
              CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
                ...then over to the Goat Hill tavern, or the beachball.
                Hey, I've been to the Beach Ball! Spent the fall of 2003 in Newport Beach on a boat.

Won their weekly 8-ball tournament. Cool place. :)
                "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
                  The good things about the Costa Mesa Show......Full Bar, the Bianchi guy witht the factory second holsters for way cheap, 80 dollar holsters for 20-25, I thought it was a nice littlt show to kill a saturday morning, then over to the Goat Hill tavern, or the beachball.
                  I'm not sure if the full bar is still there. I know lots of people get beer.

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                  Hey, I've been to the Beach Ball! Spent the fall of 2003 in Newport Beach on a boat.

Won their weekly 8-ball tournament. Cool place. :)
                  You were about 7 miles from me that fall.
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

[QUOTE=gunnut;716854]I remember I went to one of the last LA County gunshows in the late 1990s...back in the "before times." It was a good show. There were 7 fairgrounds buildings plus outdoor area.

There are still 7 buildings, but now all antiques, think the Costa Mesa show has more guns, The Anahiem show in the "Big A" wasn't a bad little show, for the People's Republic. Sacramento used to have a nice show at the Fairgrounds, went to that several times. The show that took the bigest hit from the waiting period was the Columbus Ohio Show, it was huge, then they enacted the federal wait, and it became nothing but trapdoor springfields, sharps, and 3000 dollar trench guns. It's a shame more states can't get the instant background check passed.
                    CADPIPE

Comment

I would suggest a combo rifle in 22LR and 410 calibers.

I don't like to deal with magazine in "shit hit the fan" situations. Autoloaders might become unreliable after a while, even if magazines are good.

For real world survival scenarios, as opposed to the reds invading or zombie apocalypse, I would go with a break action 22LR/410 combo rifle/shotgun.

If you want to go bigger, you can always upgrade to 223/12Ga combo.
                      The USAAF/USAF use to agree with you. Springfield Armory has made one on and off. Should be able to pick one up. The M-6 scout. Originally a .22 Hornet/410 over/under with a 14in barrel. The gun folded in half for storage.

Springfield Armory sells one with an 18in barrel that comes in either 22 LR, 22 hornet or .45 long over 410
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Gun Grape; 14 Feb 10,, 03:44.

Comment

Roffel - I have a ceska BRNO ZKM 452. .22.

I have had no problems with it. But I have had far more success in using it in situ I.E prone in setup. This enables better shots at longer ranges with good range markers. The wooden stock is a source of criticism and technically fouls the bolt, but has a floating barrel - I have not heard many talk smack about BRNO either. They also have a factory in the U.S.

Scoped. Otherwise if you were survival in the true sense of the word Gunnut probably summed it up best.
                        Ego Numquam

Comment

Savage 20ga/.357, or even better, .357max. It's not the lightest gun in the world but lite .38spl has just about replaced .22 for me. Alternatively, the Rossi kid single shot w/ .22, 20ga & .30/30 barrels.

Prof

Comment

12 ga forever

I will still take a 12 ga Benelli with a variety of ammo, over anything else, rifled slugs good out to 100 yards plus, higher rate of firepower, can still take birds and rabbits with shotshells, fire flares, flechette rounds, most useful. Probably the M3 as it is pump or semi auto.;)
                            CADPIPE

Comment

Working...
                            X