question regarding the Meteor missile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question regarding the Meteor missile

Hi, I understand that the Meteor missile is a ducted rocket, but doesn't that mean during a turn, the air intake would be seriously limited, thus making the rocket less effective, and therefore less maneuverable?

Thanks

Aircraft and missiles turn best at low speeds
    Corner Speed
    Last edited by 1979; 14 Jan 10,, 13:01.
    J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
      Aircraft and missiles turn best at low speeds
      Corner Speed
      What I meant was, a Ducted rocket when at near Zero speeds would effectively behave like a jet engine without compressors. Isn't this a disadvantage?

Comment

1. Looking at the Meteor's layout, it looks like the ducts are configured so that at least one intake will always have clear airflow

2. Keep in mind that the Meteor will be traveling at very high speeds, so the sheer act of moving forward in the air, even in a turn, should be enough to force air into the intake.

Also, a missile isn't going to be moving at "near zero" speeds. It has to keep its forward inertia and kinetic energy, otherwise it simply falls out of the sky. Unlike an airplane, a missile doesn't generate lift.

4. The Meteor's flight profile is boost and coast, but even when coasting, it will be moving at very high speeds and getting plenty of airflow.

Meteor Missile Will Make Changes to Accommodate F-35

5. And, if I recall correctly, ramjets create "positive push," sucking air into their engines as they run. This force of suction would be helpful if normally generated airflow was blocked by a maneuver.

The Ramjet / Scramjet Engine
        USNA 2014?

Comment

Originally posted by Kilo 2-3 View Post
          Also, a missile isn't going to be moving at "near zero" speeds. It has to keep its forward inertia and kinetic energy, otherwise it simply falls out of the sky. Unlike an airplane, a missile doesn't generate lift.
          Actually IIRC a bunch of modern AAMs use a lifting body concept. It doesn't generate lift LIKE a plane, but it does generate lift.

4. The Meteor's flight profile is boost and coast, but even when coasting, it will be moving at very high speeds and getting plenty of airflow.
          Plus it won't be making hard turns unless its in terminal guidance, and at that point the utility of a functioning engine (specifically one that fails during terminal guidance while the missile is still fast) may be somewhat questionable.

Comment

Originally posted by GGTharos View Post
            Actually IIRC a bunch of modern AAMs use a lifting body concept. It doesn't generate lift LIKE a plane, but it does generate lift.
            Hmm true, the Meteor's shape would suggest it has a lifting body. Do you know of any other missiles with this feature?
            USNA 2014?

Comment

perhaps this might help:
              Bernoulli's principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              J'ai en marre.

Comment

To my (admittedly imperfect) knowledge, the list includes the AIM-120, the R-77 and AIM-132.

There may be others (for example MICA and recent chinese and Taiwanese, Japanese developments) but I have not looked into them.

Originally posted by Kilo 2-3 View Post
                Hmm true, the Meteor's shape would suggest it has a lifting body. Do you know of any other missiles with this feature?

Comment

Working...
                X