Terror attempt on US-bound airline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terror attempt on US-bound airline

I'm wondering how the heck this guy managed to get the explosives on the plane in the first place. It's good that it ended like it did, and not something much worse.
    US plane attack suspect quizzed after 'terror attempt'

A Nigerian reported to have links to al-Qaeda is being questioned after an attempted act of terrorism on a plane arriving in the US, officials say.

They say the 23-year-old man was trying to ignite an explosive device as the jet approached Detroit from Amsterdam.

He was overpowered by some of the 278 passengers and 11 crew. Reports say he burnt his leg. No-one else was hurt.

Police in the UK are conducting searches and inquiries into the man, believed to be a London student.

Nigeria has ordered its security agencies to investigate the incident and verify the suspect's identity and motives. It has also said they will "co-operate fully" with the US investigations.

The Nigerian, named as Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab, had third-degree burns, said Peter King, a Congressman on the US House of Representatives Homeland Security Committee.

The Metropolitan Police said its officers were liaising with the US authorities, and University College London says it has a student of the same name.

Officials have described the device as a mixture of powder and liquid which failed to go off properly.

One terrorism expert said it looked as though a new way of concealing explosives on the body was involved.

President Barack Obama, on holiday in Hawaii, has ordered increased security for air travel.

White House spokesman Bill Burton said the president was monitoring the situation.

The suspect's name was in a database indicating "a significant terrorist connection" although it did not appear on a "no-fly" list, said Mr King.

Mr Abdulmutallab reportedly told investigators he had links to al-Qaeda and had received the explosives in Yemen.

Mr King also said investigators were looking into whether the incident was part of a larger plot and a "worldwide alert" had been raised.

The US Department of Homeland Security said "additional screening measures" had been put into effect since the incident.

Northwest Airlines Flight 253 had begun its descent towards Detroit Metropolitan Airport on Friday afternoon when the incident occurred.

The Airbus 330, which had originated in Amsterdam, was about 20 minutes from landing when passengers noticed something was wrong.

One of them, Syed Jafri, said he had been seated three rows behind the suspect and had seen a glow and smelled smoke.

Then, he said, "a young man behind me jumped on him".

"Next thing you know, there was a lot of panic," Mr Jafri added.

As the suspect was being tackled, he was reportedly shouting and a passenger said she had heard the word "Afghanistan".

Another unnamed passenger heard a "little pop", then saw "a bit of a smoke and then some flames".

After "yelling and screaming", the passenger added, "they took him out and it was really quick".

Fellow passenger Melinda Dennis said the man had been severely burned on one leg, and a fire extinguisher and water were used to put out the fire.

The suspect later told the US authorities he had had explosive powder taped to his leg and used a syringe of chemicals to mix with the powder that was to cause explosion, the ABC television network reports.

Dr Sally Leivesley, an adviser on terrorism and public protection, told the BBC: "This has looked as though it's a first attempt of a new way to use the body to conceal explosives."

"They may be concealing the explosives on the human body - but on the inside upper leg, and we only know this by seeing a very badly burnt leg on the suspected perpetrator."
    BBC News - US plane attack suspect quizzed after 'terror attempt'
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

The suspect's name was in a database indicating "a significant terrorist connection" although it did not appear on a "no-fly" list, said Mr King.
    If this guy was in the database as a terrorist connection, how was he allowed to board the flight to the US in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Julie View Post
      If this guy was in the database as a terrorist connection, how was he allowed to board the flight to the US in the first place?
      Well he is NOT on a no fly list , he is allowed to fly , however as a known suspect it looks like security was lax , im interested to hear about this new type of explosive which only burns the terrorist and how he managed to get it on board ,, hey, why not mass produce it and sent it as xmas presents to all suspects .

SET FIRE TO THE WHOLE STINKING BUNCH OF ADDLE BRAINED BASTARDS
      Last edited by tankie; 26 Dec 09,, 18:38.

Comment

by what i've read about this these "explosives" were some fireworks!
        Last edited by diablo49; 26 Dec 09,, 16:14.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo49 View Post
          by what i've read about this these "explosives" were some fireworks!

Firecracker or not security has been lax , now however the whole of europes airports security is on overtime pay over the hols
          :(

Europe tightens security after foiled U.S. attack

Airports and airlines across Europe moved rapidly to tighten security on U.S.-bound flights on Saturday after a man tried to set off explosives on a plane flying from Amsterdam to Detroit.

Authorities in Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands either increased passenger checks or reinforced security measures already stepped up ahead of the busy Christmas and New Year travel period, officials said.

The measures follow a formal request from the U.S. Department of Transportation to airports worldwide to ratchet up security following the failed Christmas Day attack on a Delta Air Lines flight by a Nigerian suspect, officials said.

German authorities said they were considering increasing airport security but hadn't done so yet.

British airports group BAA, which manages two of the 10 busiest airports in Europe -- Heathrow and Gatwick -- said airlines had strengthened security and travellers should expect delays during one of the busiest travel periods of the year.

"Passengers travelling to the United States should expect their airline to carry out additional security checks prior to boarding," the company said in a statement.

A spokesman for Aeroports de Paris said the U.S. transport authority had specifically asked airports to search passenger luggage more thoroughly and to carry out extra pat-down searches of passengers before they board U.S.-bound flights.

"We received instructions from the U.S. Federal Transit Administration last night and it's up to the individual airlines to put them in place," the spokesman said, referring to a unit of the U.S. Department of Transportation.

"The instructions were sent to all the countries in the world and apply to all airlines travelling to the U.S."

The vice-president of the European Commission, Jacques Barrot, said European authorities were in touch with the United States and would do everything to keep airline security tight.

"This incident shows once again that vigilance is necessary at all times in the fight against terror," he said.
          Last edited by tankie; 26 Dec 09,, 19:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
            I'm wondering how the heck this guy managed to get the explosives on the plane in the first place. It's good that it ended like it did, and not something much worse.

BBC News - US plane attack suspect quizzed after 'terror attempt'
            I'm really not sure where this guy's head was Matt.Pulling this crap on a plane when he was surrounded by a plane full of Detroiters?He's lucky they didn't just toss him into one of the engine intakes;).
            "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

LOL.

Attack doesn't seem to sophisticated, either. I doubt this guy was tied to any real terrorist group. Probably just a kook who saw Avatar and wanted his $10 back from James Cameron.

Comment

Originally posted by Countezero View Post
                LOL.

Attack doesn't seem to sophisticated, either. I doubt this guy was tied to any real terrorist group. Probably just a kook who saw Avatar and wanted his $10 back from James Cameron.
                Hmm well according to your prognosis we are wasting money on security then ;)

The suspect's name was in a database indicating "a significant terrorist connection" although it did not appear on a "no-fly" list, said Mr King

Comment

Would those be the same lists that once kept the White House press secretary from flying? I shouldn't be too critical. I have friends at TSA, but...

Comment

Would those be the same lists that once kept the White House press secretary from flying? I shouldn't be too critical. I have friends at TSA, but...
                    I cant actually say but i accept what has been written and qouted , maybe it cud be misleading , but the UK is taking this incident seriously enough .

Rueters

British police were searching premises in London on Saturday after a Nigerian man tried to ignite an explosive device on a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Britain had been working closely with U.S. authorities and investigating the incident since it had happened.

"Because of the serious potential threat posed by the incident, I have spoken to the Commissioner of the Metropolitan police, whose offices have been carrying out searches of properties in London," Brown said in a statement.

The man was believed to have spent time in Britain as a student and authorities were working to establish the details about his activities in the country, a British counter-terrorism source said.
                    Last edited by tankie; 26 Dec 09,, 20:09.

Comment

Update

Air terror suspect visited U.S. before

The Nigerian man suspected of trying to blow up a Northwest/Delta Airlines jet as it approached Detroit Friday visited the U.S. at least once before and was supposed to have gotten some additional screening on that trip, according to a House committee chairman briefed on the ongoing inquiry.

House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.) told POLITICO that the suspect in the attempted Christmas Day bombing, Umar Farouk Abdul Mutallab, 23, was in the United States a couple of years ago.

"We think he was 20 or 21 when he came before," Thompson said. He "was on a list that required some additional screeninng but they didn't say he was on the no-fly list." The lawmaker said it was unclear if Mutallab actually got additional screening on the prior trip or on this trip. He also said his committee plans to investigate the matter, including why Mutallab may have fallen off of a list requiring extra screening.

"Was it human error or did we fail by not sharing the intelligence from one federal agency to another who had this person on a list and [he] wasn't the no fly list," Thompson said. A source told the Associated Press the junior Mutallab was on a list maintained by the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC).

Thompson said he had also heard reports that the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria may have received a warning from the suspect's father that his son had grown increasingly radical. "Maybe the father's reporting should have been taken seriously enough to at least relook at [his son's status in U.S. security databases] and see if it needed to be upgraded," the Mississippi Democrat said.

Air terror suspect visited U.S. before - Josh Gerstein - POLITICO.com

Comment

This is all sounds a little Monday-morning like. The guy came from a suspect place, had some radical tendencies, so he was on a watch-list, but could fly. I have no problem with that. So far, nothing leaps out at me as being "missed."

Comment

This is all sounds a little Monday-morning like. The guy came from a suspect place, had some radical tendencies, so he was on a watch-list, but could fly. I have no problem with that. So far, nothing leaps out at me as being "missed."
                          What was missed is that if someone is on a watch list (regardless of being able to fly) then his name should have still come up in some kind of an electronic security database check (I assume) at ticket purchase and/or during check in............he should have been properly searched taking extra measures (rather than just allow him to walk though the metal detector).
                          Wolf Hunter

Comment

He was still a red flag. Lack of communication between agencies AGAIN. It seems by now, they should be able to pull and/or properly search a watched terrorist. Obviously, it's up to the passengers on the plane to protect themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ararat View Post
                              What was missed is that if someone is on a watch list (regardless of being able to fly) then his name should have still come up in some kind of an electronic security database check (I assume) at ticket purchase and/or during check in............he should have been properly searched taking extra measures (rather than just allow him to walk though the metal detector).
                              Is there something that alerts security at the screening area that a passenger with such a dossier is standing there? I don't think there is. How would they even know which person to look at?

Originally posted by Julie View Post
                              He was still a red flag. Lack of communication between agencies AGAIN. It seems by now, they should be able to pull and/or properly search a watched terrorist. Obviously, it's up to the passengers on the plane to protect themselves.
                              I don't think there was a red flag. A red flag, to me, is the no-fly list. This guy was probably on somebody's known associates list (or something similar). In other words, he hadn't done anything, had never been really tied to anything sketchy, but he was on the periphery of some stuff, so check in on him now and then and see what he's up to.
                              Last edited by Countezero; 26 Dec 09,, 22:26.

Comment

Working...
                              X