Isn't the global economy cool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't the global economy cool?

I'm constantly amazed at how interconnected the global economy and the power of trade.

The computer I'm using was ordered on a Sunday during this past summer and made it from Shanghai to my door in northern Virginia by Thursday. I just ordered some of the items to trick out my daughter's Power Wheels and it will all be at my doorstep within a week and before Christmas (and this was with the supercheap/free shipping options).

While my kids won't remember, I can remember when it was super high speed to just able to phone in your order from a catalog, but you couldn't track the shipment other than to call back and verify that it had been shipped.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Originally posted by Shek View Post
    I'm constantly amazed at how interconnected the global economy and the power of trade.

The computer I'm using was ordered on a Sunday during this past summer and made it from Shanghai to my door in northern Virginia by Thursday. I just ordered some of the items to trick out my daughter's Power Wheels and it will all be at my doorstep within a week and before Christmas (and this was with the supercheap/free shipping options).

While my kids won't remember, I can remember when it was super high speed to just able to phone in your order from a catalog, but you couldn't track the shipment other than to call back and verify that it had been shipped.

I can remember the days of going to the Sears catalog store.

Track shipping? The guy at the store would call you when your package came in.

Comment

The global economy has been around forever (^.^)

Originally posted by Shek View Post

Thank heaven for air transportation and transoceanic shipping - and the internet ♪♪♪ At least we don't have to rely on clipper ships anymore :))

Although, the global economy is like sharing a room. If someone sneezes, you come down with the cold Before, the "room" was bigger and the contagions were slower.

Of course, however, the benefits outweigh the risks :)

And now, the a-bomb of a question. Will it be possible to sustain the current global trading régime while making a transition away from petroleum-based fuels? Let's remember that in the early days of the global economy, there was wind power, horse power, and foot power. So, while there was a global economy operating, there wasn't enough energy to make things go fast. Petroleum provided a source of energy that made the current global economy possible.

So, anyone knows what comes after petroleum to sustain the current global trading régime? Or will dwindling petroleum supplies spell the decline thereof -- and a return to camel caravans and clipper ships?

Comment

Working...
      X