What Have You Owned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Have You Owned?

Technology has advanced at an amazing rate. My iPod Shuffle can hold 100 albums worth of music at a time. What forms of music have you owned? What's the best technology to listen to?
    16.08%
    15.38%
    8-track
    10.49%
    Cassette
    19.58%
    CD
    19.58%
    MD
    2.10%
    MP3
    16.78%
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

had 33, 45, cassette, CD, mp3, and also had reel recorder the size of a medium suitcase.
    IMO the best one is mp3, small, light, no rewinding, instant access to any of 1000's songs, even thou uncompressed cd have better sound quality, according to audio magazines, but i can't complain about mp3 sound quality.

also had a vacuum tube radio, the size of a small fridge, that thing was made in 50's, when i was leaving someone actually wanted it, for something other than garbage, it worked flawlessly all the time. not a single tube ever burned out. hard to find anything these days that will work as new for 40+ years.
    Last edited by omon; 17 Dec 09,, 03:33.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

i've got to pick CD's as the best thus far, my brother in law swears by 33's but he's positively anal about turntables and cleaning the records yadeyadeya. I do cheat with the digital players though in that I copy the CD's as 48,000khz wav files rather than mp3's. Much less storage but much better quality, as good as the original cd's.
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Have owned all but the MD (Whatever that is).

I'm a retired artilleryman. It all sounds good as long as you play it loud

But as Shek wrote, I am also amazed at the amount of songs I can carry on my MP3 player. Have almost all of my CD collection on it. Over 1000 songs. All on something a bit wider, but thinner, than a zippo.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
          Have owned all but the MD (Whatever that is).
          MiniDisc - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had one as a LT. It was 1/4th the size of a discman and you could actually have a few more albums with you since the discs were smaller. It wasn't enough of an improvement for many to ditch their CD/discman combo, and MP3s came out before the MD prices could drop enough to gain more popularity.
          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

AKA the "Large Format CD"

I've owned all but a MiniDisc. I also had a reel to reel my Dad bought me when I was in grade school, fun to play with, not very practical. My "Stereo" record (LP!) player had tubes, I spliced a jack to it and hooked up a "HiFi" receiver (tubes galore) and FM antenna to pick the "alternative rock" station in San Francisco. It was amazing how much heat those things put out!
            Last edited by sappersgt; 17 Dec 09,, 05:07.
            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

All but the mini disk. My age is getting dated by this info.
              Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                I do cheat with the digital players though in that I copy the CD's as 48,000khz wav files rather than mp3's. Much less storage but much better quality, as good as the original cd's.
                Now that's something I hadn't thought about. I had heard some complaints about mp3 quality. I'll have to ask some of my music aficionado folks what THEY do.

by omon
                also had a vacuum tube radio, the size of a small fridge, that thing was made in 50's, when i was leaving someone actually wanted it, for something other than garbage, it worked flawlessly all the time. not a single tube ever burned out. hard to find anything these days that will work as new for 40+ years
                My father in law had an old Grundig radio, more like a big piece of furniture than an electronic device. About the same size as a cupboard with fine cabinetry, it received every band you could think of!:))
                Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                  Now that's something I hadn't thought about. I had heard some complaints about mp3 quality. I'll have to ask some of my music aficionado folks what THEY do.
                  Just check that your player can actually handle the format
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Started out with a panasonic casette player in school, moved on to a mercury mp3 cd player that used to munch through a pair of duracells in 70 minutes .
                    A few years later spent all of my first salary on getting the ipod nano 2gb a week after it launched. Used it for five years, before i changed to an ipod touch this year.
                    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

All but the MD!
                      “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                      "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                        Technology has advanced at an amazing rate. My iPod Shuffle can hold 100 albums worth of music at a time. What forms of music have you owned? What's the best technology to listen to?
                        My wife recently won an ipod shuffle and almost threw it away thinking it was the security tag it's that small

Comment

Poor ol' RustyBattleship can't vote as you haven't given a wax cylinder option:))

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                            Poor ol' RustyBattleship can't vote as you haven't given a wax cylinder option:))
                            ere ang on warra am i laughing at , ive got one ,and the poll left out 78s
                            Last edited by tankie; 17 Dec 09,, 13:58.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                              Oi,,dont laugh, you'll get old one day!

I first started listening to music other than radio, on a HMV 78 gramaphone then graduated to reel to reel tape players, the last of which was a Toshiba stereo that my mother still has and still sounds pretty good compared to today's tech.
                              So what happened to those options in the poll? :P

The march of technology is realy quite amazing, especially what can be done if you play in a band.
                              Not that many years ago, bands that used backing tracks would have some of the most advanced and expensive equipment around and the backing tracks were mostly used as is or the were just beat boxes.

My pro muso mate can now create backing tracks from scratch using a sample sequencer that creates up to 24 track midis that are then converted into MP3 format and loaded onto an 8gb ipod touch.
                              Each track is about 100kb and the ipod plugs straight into the PA system producing a sound quality that is only very marginaly inferior to wav files.

That little ipod that is about 4" x 2.5" x 3/8" can hold more tracks than we could ever hope to play in a night plus many albums of between sets music and unlike all our other band gear, it is just carried around in your pocket.

I also have an ipod that can record vocals directly over an mp3 track so you can play back and listen to yourself and modify the vocals as many times as you like over the same tune.

The advances in technology in such a short time has been amazing.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X