Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid things your friends have said relating to military equipment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by US_MiltCom View Post
    My favorite is when my friends insist AK-47s are about the most accurate rifle in existence.
    Someone I used to work with claimed to have owned a "national match" AK. Maybe there is such a thing, but it seems oxymoronic. My feeling is that it wouldn't be an AK anymore.

ZF-

Comment

Originally posted by Zad Fnark View Post
      Someone I used to work with claimed to have owned a "national match" AK. Maybe there is such a thing, but it seems oxymoronic. My feeling is that it wouldn't be an AK anymore.

ZF-
      the AK-47, was designed (someone correct me if I'm wrong) with sloppy tolerances, so that it would operate under almost any condition?

Comment

I'm not actually in the Forces (not yet anyways), but I am something of an aficianado for gear and such.

Just last Sunday, on the bus to a Cadet biathlon practice, I overheard a few first years discussing what kind of rifle we'd be using. Now, for Air Cadet biathlon, we used a .22LR. Either an SMLE modified to fire a .22 cartridge, or a Fortner action rifle. I prefer the SMLE, but that's neither here nor there. Being a sergeant, I decided to inform them.

"Usually we fire .22s, either an Enfield or a Fortner action"

And the response

"Aww, but I thought biathlon was done with the Barrett .50 cal"

And my reaction

Comment

Oh dear. I have quite a few Myth Busters to tell also.

The absolute, worst and highly anti-American is one person's theory on the Port Chicago explosion. In WW II, Port Chicago was an ammunition depot just across the river at Benicia, California. Something went wrong and two ammunition ships exploded with a terrific force sending up a huge "igloo" of water spray with a mushroom cloud emerging from it.

Well, there was some terrible racist legal actions following that relating to the fact that most of the ammunition handlers were black and whities didn't care if they got blown up or not. But that's not the problem I want to discuss.

The problem is, during my research on Port Chicago I found a website by some scatter brain trying to demean the US Military by claiming the explosion was really a test of a Uranium Atomic Bomb.

He claimed that the military's position of the first detonation of the Uranium bomb was the one dropped on Hiroshima and was deployed without first being tested is untrue. His logic introduction was that no weapon would ever be used without testing it first such as the Los Alamos Plutonium bomb.

Therefore, according to his "reasoning" the Hirosima bomb was the second use of a Uranium bomb and Port Chicago was picked to be the test site of the first one.

I was very seriously considering writing a very strong rebuttal to his twist-minded story but decided he must be in some padded cell by now and would never see it.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by dundonrl View Post
            the AK-47, was designed (someone correct me if I'm wrong) with sloppy tolerances, so that it would operate under almost any condition?
            Yes, that's correct. I've seen a documentary where Mikhail Kalashnikov was describing his AK-47 design philosophy.

He emphatically narrated and mimed picking up a handful of sand, throwing it into the chamber, slamming the bolt closed and rifle still shooting.

His experiences during the Great Patriotic War probably taught him one or two things about dirt and mud.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by HoratioNelson View Post
              I'm not actually in the Forces (not yet anyways), but I am something of an aficianado for gear and such.

Just last Sunday, on the bus to a Cadet biathlon practice, I overheard a few first years discussing what kind of rifle we'd be using. Now, for Air Cadet biathlon, we used a .22LR. Either an SMLE modified to fire a .22 cartridge, or a Fortner action rifle. I prefer the SMLE, but that's neither here nor there. Being a sergeant, I decided to inform them.

"Usually we fire .22s, either an Enfield or a Fortner action"

And the response

"Aww, but I thought biathlon was done with the Barrett .50 cal"

And my reaction

surely he was joking?
              USS Toledo, SSN 769

Comment

Oh yeah, and there was this kid way back from high school who tried to argue that the Sherman tank was better than the M1 Abraham because it can overwhelm the latter "with superior numbers and mobility".
                All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Masada View Post
                  surely he was joking?
                  Well, from the tone of his voice, he was either dead serious, or one of those people who make jokes without sounding like they're making a joke at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                    Oh yeah, and there was this kid way back from high school who tried to argue that the Sherman tank was better than the M1 Abraham because it can overwhelm the latter "with superior numbers and mobility".
                    I wonder how many Sherman tanks it would take to destroy, (not just mission kill) an M1A2 SEP Abrams? a Dozen, two dozen? (yes the M1 gets to fight back..)

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                      take him outside and give him a slap , ask what about a sqd v a sqd ;)

Comment

Not strictly speaking about military equipment but something even worse..
                        Pirating military terminology for use in Corporate doublespeak.
                        for example "Strategically leveraging our core competencies in order to achieve tactical success at the local market level" Bleh. :(
                        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

At the moment, I'm watching a Discovery Channel doc called Wings Over Afghanistan, mostly because I'll watch/listen to anything narrated by Will Lyman (he even responded to an email I sent him, too cool!)

It's a pretty run-of-the-mill doc until they show animation demonstrating how a laser-targeting system can transmit GPS coordinates for a JDAM strike.

First, they show a moving vehicle clattering along in the mountains and then very conveniently stop and park itself while a B-52 comes along and blows it away...but the (presumed) Taliban vehicle is a Jagdpanther!

Next, they start talking about the B-52 itself and poor Will has to read a script that claims "The B-52 first saw action in Korea"

Apparently B-52's are also time machines to be able to see action in a war that saw a ceasefire July 1953, but only became operational in squadron service 1955-1956!

I'm only 6 minutes into the doc and the constant facepalms are already starting to hurt. Dare I watch further?
                          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                            At the moment, I'm watching a Discovery Channel doc called -------------------

I'm only 6 minutes into the doc and the constant facepalms are already starting to hurt. Dare I watch further?
                            Now you know what my feelings were when I wrote Chapter 13 (DSRV) debunking the supposedly "unbiased" informational programs and a certain book that not only was wrong but horribly misquoted on the incorrect TV shows.

For fantasy mystery I'll stick to NCIS and NCIS Los Angeles (love that Daniela Ruah in the L.A. spin-off).
                            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Never figured this one out and literally just walked away from it, but i had a coworker (for a very short time) who claimed to be an American veteran. Served in the Army as a cannon-cocker but couldn't name a single arty piece and said he was issued an AK-47. And he managed to say this with a straight face. I thought the guy too stupid to even call him out on it, though I did start too, but just had to walk away. Its no fun beatin up retarded kids.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X