Iowa's were a cheap replacement .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by connaye View Post
    My post about the Captain's car was in jest, but is it possible the event of a Captain taking a car with him to insure transportation at a port of call?

Is it true that the Captain also carried a "barge" for his own use, too?
    It usually works better when your an Admiral. There are such pictures out there of vehicles on the deck. (Such as USS Iowa and the latest one would have been the newest Wasp class Amphib the Makin Island LHD-8). The crews vehicles were all loaded aboard for the trip to her new homeport as in agreement with GG's post. The Captain aboard the Iowas had their own gigs (on New Jersey it was black with a white top and the ships insignia) and had three stars at the bow. The Admiral apparently used the same gigs when aboard. Then you had the officers launch and crews gigs along with the motor whale boats for maintenance. Man over board etc.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

"Additionally, workers installed the largest conventional engineering plant ever assembled on US Navy ships. They were given twelve Foster Wheeler boilers along with Westinghouse manufactured engines. Together, the boilers and engines turned out over 220,000 ship horsepower on four shafts. This power plant continue to be the envy of Navy engineers to this day. This is not only due to their size, but also because they operated at 600 pounds per square inch. This lower pressure makes them very reliable, though it tends to make the ship somewhat of a fuel hog. The redundancy was unbelievable. Something could break down, which was rare, and no one would ever know the difference." ( Quote taken from website about Capt Chantry)

Black Navy Crude and Foster Wheeler Boilers coupled with Westinghouse Turbines.... Was this the ultimate Oiler burner design for the U.S. Navy ?
      " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

"Additionally, workers installed the largest conventional engineering plant ever assembled on US Navy ships. They were given twelve Foster Wheeler boilers along with Westinghouse manufactured engines. Together, the boilers and engines turned out over 220,000 ship horsepower on four shafts. This power plant continue to be the envy of Navy engineers to this day. This is not only due to their size, but also because they operated at 600 pounds per square inch. This lower pressure makes them very reliable, though it tends to make the ship somewhat of a fuel hog. The redundancy was unbelievable. Something could break down, which was rare, and no one would ever know the difference." ( Quote taken from website about Capt Chantry)

Black Navy Crude and Foster Wheeler Boilers coupled with Westinghouse Turbines.... Was this the ultimate Oiler burner design for the U.S. Navy ?
        12 Boilers? Let's see... 2 per fireroom x 4 firerooms = 8 boilers.
        Wait, isn't this the Iowa thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
          12 Boilers? Let's see... 2 per fireroom x 4 firerooms = 8 boilers.
          Wait, isn't this the Iowa thread?
          Yeah. 12 boilers sounds more like the old Gibbs and Cox Scheme 12 combination Battleship/Aircraft Carrier. It would use 6 props and was Battleship on the starboard side and Aircraft Carrier on the Port side. The Soviet Union actually bought the design and started ordering material for it. Then they decided to drop it and go for more "conventional" ship designs.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
            Yeah. 12 boilers sounds more like the old Gibbs and Cox Scheme 12 combination Battleship/Aircraft Carrier. It would use 6 props and was Battleship on the starboard side and Aircraft Carrier on the Port side. The Soviet Union actually bought the design and started ordering material for it. Then they decided to drop it and go for more "conventional" ship designs.
            I was just thinking, 12 boilers, 4 main turbines, ton of redundancy and we're describing the Midway Class carriers. Twelve single boiler firerooms. Take a torpedo, secure the boiler, cross connect, dog down the hatches and keep going. Always have steam to run the fire pumps.

Comment

*Was never a fan of Foster Wheeler boilers, Babcox/Wilcox is where its at.

The black navy crude I'm guessing was Bunker "C" which had the consistancy of mayo until it was heated up enought to inject into the boilers.

Comment

Hey, guys. Here is a comparison for you. The first was the first basic idea for the modernization during the 1980s.

Here is a drawing of the general arrangement that NAVSEA and I were working on in 2005 for reactivation and modernization in 2006.

I would have liked to have a copy of the CAD drawings, but no such luck.

Weapon Additions were
                2 x 48-cell Mk41 Mod15 VLS
                2 x Phalanx Block 1B
                2 x RAM
                4 x Mk45 Mod 2+ or 4

Counter Measures
                6 x NULKA
                6 x SRBOC

Radars:
                4 x SPG-51D/E
                SPS-48E
                SPS-49E/F
                2 x SPQ-9B
                SLQ-32

Aircraft:
                1 x Embarked SH-60 Seahawk
                3 x Landing spots all US Helicopters
                RPV equipment and facilities

2 x 1500kw geneartors in place of aft 3" magazines with added accommodating structure

Comment

Originally posted by navydavesor View Post
                  Here is a drawing of the general arrangement that NAVSEA and I were working on in 2005 for reactivation and modernization in 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by navydavesor View Post
                    Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                    Yeah, really. What?
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                      Yeah, really. What?
                      Personally, Im not buying this. Either our new friend has his dates mixed up, or those of us in the battleship community and connected to NAVSEA (and there are a few here) have gone deaf, dumb and blind. We would have known about this long ago (even at the least logistics/yard wise) and as far as I know there was never even a mention in any official circles of returning the Iowas to the Register or commision, even for a brief time period. Particularly during this time period.

*Please do explain this post before you invite the Necro god himself and his minions as he trashes a perfectly good thread. Many kitties will die and a good thread wasted!
                      Last edited by Dreadnought; 13 Jan 10,, 18:46.

Comment

Yeah, really. What?
                        Sounds fantastic - or rather a fantasy. The pictures he posted do not come up on my PC. Could you email them to me in any way? (TopHatter knows my email address)
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Sounds fantastic - or rather a fantasy. The pictures he posted do not come up on my PC. Could you email them to me in any way? (TopHatter knows my email address)
                          *In full agreement, I dont think our friend has any idea of the knowledge contained here on the WAB and the refit alone seems well pretty much fantasy. They would not spend that kind of money on the ships to be in commission for a few short years even if the possibility existed. And as far as I know and Dick I think you will agree, it don't.
                          Last edited by Dreadnought; 13 Jan 10,, 19:29.

Comment

All set Dick, should be in your in-box
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

All set Dick, should be in your in-box
                              TH, May I ?:)

Comment

Sounds fantastic - or rather a fantasy. The pictures he posted do not come up on my PC.
                                Are we headed for new computer problems?

What pictures do come up on your computer?

Comment

Working...
                                X