Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galil clone

I'm really thinking about dropping money on this Galil clone

Galil Style Golani Rifle, 223 caliber, with folding stock.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

An opinion huh? Fortunately I have a million!:))

All I can say is, there is no substitute for a Galil.;)

Comment

I'm not a big fan of Century Arms(the importer).They have a poor reputation among the gunsmiths I know.Read the reviews carefully on that site and you'll see what I mean.Extremely poor craftsmanship,sights off center...etc.Great price but I wouldn't touch one of their weapons with a ten foot pole,let alone shoot one;).
      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

what they said.

for 700 you could by a vepr, check out robarm.
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
          An opinion huh? Fortunately I have a million!:))

All I can say is, there is no substitute for a Galil.;)
          Well...maybe.;) The R-4 is pretty nifty, I mean do you REALLY need a bottle opener on an assault rifle. Hmmm, on second thought maybe you do!;):))
          Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
          (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I own a Century Arms G3 clone, and while the finish isn't the greatest, it's served me well for years.
            "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
              Well...maybe.;) The R-4 is pretty nifty, I mean do you REALLY need a bottle opener on an assault rifle. Hmmm, on second thought maybe you do!;):))
              I have never shot an R4 but I would assume it should be the wayyy better of any clones. Have you ever been able to compare the two side by side? How was the accuracy on the R4?

I have shot a Galil on several occasions. Of all the AK variants in 5.56, I would go with it solely because of my experience with it. Now if I was going to buy an AK in 7.62, I would have to go for a Valmet, but that is a horse of another color.

And yes, every rifle should have a bottle opener. So far I have been able to pop a top with my AR, 1911, M14, M60 and an FAL. All have features that make an excellent opener. I like the 1911 the best for its portability and convenience.
              Last edited by Blue; 02 Dec 09,, 15:48.

Comment

Sorry, but a Galil clone in .223 is as much use as t!t's to a Nun, for a few hundred $'s more they have some nice AR's. Now if you want an AK type rifle fine go get one, with what the clone would have cost you'd get Hungarian AMD-65 AK-47 rifle + 500rds of Brown Bear 7.62x39 Package. and all the mags and ammo you could use on one sunny afternoon at the range.

Just my $0.02cts worth, BTW glad to see that the prices are coming down over there, they are still in cloud cuckoo over here, guess they'll end up going bust before they realise that we have internet and are in a position to see what things cost in the USA and decide not to bother.

Tony
                Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

I have never shot an R4 but I would assume it should be the wayyy better of any clones. Have you ever been able to compare the two side by side? How was the accuracy on the R4?

I have shot a Galil on several occasions. Of all the AK variants in 5.56, I would go with it solely because of my experience with it. Now if I was going to buy an AK in 7.62, I would have to go for a Valmet, but that is a horse of another color.

And yes, every rifle should have a bottle opener. So far I have been able to pop a top with my AR, 1911, M14, M60 and an FAL. All have features that make an excellent opener. I like the 1911 the best for its portability and convenience.
                  IIRC the Galil was made originally with Valmet receivers, if wanted a 7.62 clone I want a Valmet. I've only fired the Galil at the range, I thought it a little heavier but it performed as expected. I've fired the R-4 at the range and in the field, it is pointable, handy and above all accurate, much more so than any AK in 7.62x39. IMHO switching to the 5.56 ammo was genius. When issued an AK-47 I did a lookaround and found an AK-74 to replace it with. I did get some crap about ammo compatibility but I just said that'd be my problem not theirs...
                  Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                  (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

You will have to show me that one of these days.
                    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

I'm kind of thinking if just waiting a little longer and getting an XCR

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                        IIRC the Galil was made originally with Valmet receivers, if wanted a 7.62 clone I want a Valmet.
                        I did not know that! No wonder I was impressed by the Galil.
                        I've only fired the Galil at the range, I thought it a little heavier but it performed as expected. I've fired the R-4 at the range and in the field, it is pointable, handy and above all accurate, much more so than any AK in 7.62x39.
                        I will have to look for an R-4 at the next FA shoot I go to. My interest is up now.

IMHO switching to the 5.56 ammo was genius. When issued an AK-47 I did a lookaround and found an AK-74 to replace it with. I did get some crap about ammo compatibility but I just said that'd be my problem not theirs...
                        You know the AK-74 got nothing but guff, but it seems like the people that would complain about the 74 would say good stuff about the Galil. I usually chalk that up to they haven't shot either one.;)

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          You will have to show me that one of these days.
                          I have five Stellas in the fridge. Hurry up and get here and I'll show how to open them with every one but the FAL(and only because I don't have an FAL;)).:)

Comment

Working...
                          X