Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which M4 Replacement would you pick?

XM8, ACR, 416, SCAR? Pick your poison!

I think the ACR is the best choice for weight, accuracy, modularity, and alleged reliability.
    XM8 (yes I know it's dead)
    7.69%
    HK416
    23.08%
    Bushmaster ACR
    26.92%
    FN SCAR
    38.46%
    Robinson Arms XCR
    3.85%
    LWRC M6A4
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

More Power, Range, and Mobility

Every rifleman carries too much now. Each should be equipped with one of these-

Now you don't have to carry anything and busting down doors has never been easier...:)
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

The Bushmaster is being marketed by Remington for military sales.

Comment

I thought this was interesting.

Officials tested 10 each of the four carbine models, firing a total of 60,000 rounds per model. Here’s how they ranked, according to the total number of times each model stopped firing:

• XM8: 127 stoppages.

• MK16 SCAR Light: 226 stoppages.

• 416: 233 stoppages.

• M4: 882 stoppages.

the results of the test were “a wake-up call,” but Army officials continue to stand by the current carbine, said Brig. Gen. Mark Brown, commander of Program Executive Office Soldier, the command that is responsible for equipping soldiers.
        Newer carbines outperform M4 in dust test - Army News, news from Iraq, - Army Times

Comment

I like the looks of the 416, but the SCAR-L & SCAR-H appear to be the best choice; if I am not mistaken, I believe some SOF have already field-tested the SCAR in recent years.
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Both 416 and SCAR have its users, but SOCOM just gave a huge contract to a company to make improved M-4 tactical rails. That rifle is here to stay.
            All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
            -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

None of the above :).Instead,Gas Piston M4 in 6.5Grendel from Alexander arms.Could be used as an assault rifle and as sniper.But from the ones above,HK should the the best for the money.
              http://www.freewebs.com/precisionrif...ndel%20007.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by roffelskates View Post
                XM8, ACR, 416, SCAR? Pick your poison!

I think the ACR is the best choice for weight, accuracy, modularity, and alleged reliability.
                May we choose a different caliber or AR only?

Comment

I chose the XCR although it is out of the running as well(late entry technicality). If they where to open up the competition again, I think the XCR would outperform the rest easily.

Second choice would be the Masada. Magpul inc. has done some really cool stuff with the AR platform and some really smart accessories. I look for them to be an industry leader before long.
                  Last edited by Blue; 23 Nov 09,, 17:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Imho View Post
                    I think that multi caliber is a prerequisite for the comp, although 5.56 NATO is the standard. Unfortunately, I think 5.56 is here to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Imho View Post
                      I'd like to stick with 5.56 loadings simply because that simplifies things a lot, and the only changing variable would be the rifle itself in that case. To be honest the 6.5 and 6.8 platforms are simply piston driven AR's in a different loading. To be honest too, all these rifles can be easily switched out for an AR compatable bullet like the 6.5 and 6.8 with a few modifications. Some more so than others like the XM8. To your other post I do not think the 416 is the best for the money, I think it's a horrible value because were sorta just stuck with a freefloated railed AR with a piston system. And from a consumer standpoint, HK is selling them for about 5 grand for just the upper. JUST THE UPPER! I mean you can buy more than 2 SR-556's with the same piston technology and it will probebly preform 90% as well at half the price.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                        I chose the XCR although it is out of the running as well(late entry technicality). If they where to open up the competition again, I think the XCR would outperform the rest easily.

Second choice would be the Masada. Magpul inc. has done some really cool stuff with the AR platform and some really smart accessories. I look for them to be an industry leader before long.
                        I've heard from sources (Nutnfancy) that the heavy AK piston system makes the gun hard to swing quickly and pick up targets compared to a DI system. And the gun is also a chunk of metal weighing out at around 7 and a half pounds. Other than that though, it seems like a very reliable and a rifle with good accuracy with even more simple maintinence than the FN SCAR and the ACR.

For weight reasons I'd pick the ACR, but the XCR is no slouch especially for first time shooters. ACR might be too complicated of a system for most shooters.

Comment

How about MP44 chambered in 7.92x33mm?
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            It's got my vote. Plus, it's probably a lot cheaper than the current M4.
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                              Why not just go ahead and chamber the Chauchat in 7.62? Then soldiers will truly know what an unreliable gun is

"You think an M16 Jams a lot? Look at this French POS!"

Comment

Working...
                              X