Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terror or stress, the attack on Ft Hood.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shamus View Post
    Bastards all,may that major rot in hell

Condolences to the families of the dead.
    And his cohorts if found guilty.

Deepest condolences to Family, friends and colleagues

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
      Jordanian born, Damascus educated psychologist.
      A sad day. Glad they killed the Bas&$rd

Army officials are saying that he was born in Virginia. A grad of Va Tech where he got his commission through ROTC and the
      Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., .

Where are you getting the Jordan info from?

(edit) I just saw a mention of it from Sen Hutchisons office

Comment

Military doctor kills 11 at Fort Hood Army base

By APRIL CASTRO and DEVLIN BARRETT, Associated Press Writers April Castro And Devlin Barrett, Associated Press Writers – 7 mins ago

FORT HOOD, Texas – A military mental health doctor facing deployment overseas opened fire at the Fort Hood Army base on Thursday, setting off on a rampage that killed 11 other people and left 31 wounded. Authorities killed the gunman, and the violence was believed to be the worst mass shooting in history at a U.S. military base.

The shooting began around 1:30 p.m., when shots were fired at the base's Soldier Readiness Center, where soldiers who are about to be deployed or who are returning undergo medical screening, said Lt. Gen. Bob Cone at Fort Hood.

"It's a terrible tragedy. It's stunning," Cone said.

A law enforcement official identified the shooting suspect as Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case publicly.

Two other soldiers taken into custody following the deadly rampage were later released, the office of a Texas congressman said. A spokesman for Rep. John Carter says Fort Hood officials informed Carter's office of the release. Carter's congressional district includes the Army base.

A Fort Hood spokesman could not confirm that the two had been released.

It was unclear what the motive was. U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison said the Army major was about to deploy overseas, though it was unclear if he was headed to Iraq or Afghanistan and when he was scheduled to leave. Hutchison said she was told about the upcoming deployment by generals based at Fort Hood.

Military officials say Hasan, 39, was a psychiatrist at Walter Reed Army Medical Center for six years before being transferred to the Texas base in July. The officials, who had access to Hasan's military record, said he received a poor performance evaluation while at Walter Reed. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because military records are confidential.

The Virginia-born soldier was single with no children. He graduated from Virginia Tech University, where he was a member of the ROTC and earned a bachelor's degree in biochemistry in 1997. He received his medical degree from the military's Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences in Bethesda, Md., in 2001. At Walter Reed, he did his internship, residency and a fellowship.

Officials were investigating whether Hasan was his birth name or if he may have changed his name, possibly as part of a conversion to Islam. However, they were not certain of his religion.

The Soldier Readiness Center holds hundreds of people and is one of the most populated parts of the base, said Steve Moore, a spokesman for III Corps at Fort Hood. Nearby there are barracks and a food center where there are fast food chains.

A graduation ceremony for soldiers who finished college courses while deployed was going on nearby at the time of the shooting, said Sgt. Rebekah Lampam, a Fort Hood spokeswoman.

Greg Schanepp, Carter's regional director in Texas, was at Fort Hood, said John Stone, a spokesman for Carter. Schanepp was at a graduation ceremony when a soldier who had been shot in the back came running toward him and alerted him of the shooting, Stone said. The soldier told Schanepp not to go in the direction of the shooter, he said.

The wounded were dispersed among hospitals in central Texas, Cone said.

Lisa Pfund of Random Lake, Wis., says her daughter, 19-year-old Amber Bahr, was shot in the stomach but was in stable condition. "We know nothing, just that she was shot in the belly," Pfund told The Associated Press. She couldn't provide more details and only spoke with emergency personnel.

Pfund said Bahr joined the reserves when she was 17 to earn money for school and loved being in the military even though none of her friends were interested in joining the Army.

A Fort Hood spokesman said he could not immediately confirm any identities of the injured.

"I ask that all of you keep these families and these individuals in your prayers today," Texas Gov. Rick Perry said.

The shootings on the Texas military base stirred memories of other recent mass shootings in the United States, including 13 dead at a New York immigrant center in April, 10 killed during a gunman's rampage across Alabama in March and 32 killed in the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history at Virginia Tech in 2007.

Around the country, some bases stepped up security precautions, but no others were locked down.

"The bottom line for us is that we are increasing security at our gates because the threat hasn't yet been defined, and we're reminding our Marines to be vigilant in their areas of responsibility," said Capt. Rob Dolan, public affairs officer for the Marine Corps Air Station in Yuma, Ariz.

In Washington, President Barack Obama called the shooting "a horrific outburst of violence." He said it's a tragedy to lose a soldier overseas and even more horrifying when they come under fire at an Army base on American soil.

"We will make sure that we get answers to every single question about this horrible incident," the commander in chief said. "We are going to stay on this."

Covering 339 square miles, Fort Hood is the largest active duty armored post in the United States. Home to about 52,000 troops as of earlier this year, the sprawling base is located halfway between Austin and Waco.

Fort Hood officially opened on Sept. 18, 1942, and was named in honor of Gen. John Bell Hood.
        Military doctor kills 11 in Fort Hood rampage - Yahoo! News

Really? They were "uncertain" of his religion? I'm gonna hazard a guess that he's not a christian nor a buddhist.

When will this political correctness bullshit end? Call it like what it is.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          Really? They were "uncertain" of his religion? I'm gonna hazard a guess that he's not a christian nor a buddhist.

Easy for them not to know his religion. Its not something the military keeps track of. Don't remember it being on any enlistment documents and the only time I was asked, was when the company clerk was making dog tags.

Comment

In Pictures

BBC NEWS | In Pictures | In pictures: Fort Hood shootings

Comment

Jordan, Lebanon, Egypt, Palestine, Syria, and Iraq all have significant religious minorities mostly Christian but also Druze, Hindu and Jewish.

I am just glad his rank was based on his specialty and he wasn't a line officer.

Comment

'What it is' is unknown until confirmed. It is called checking facts & not jumping to conclusions.

Google the very Jewish sounding 'Dr Alfred Rosenberg' & see what pops up.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

See Video footage here.

Officials: 13 killed, including gunman, in Fort Hood shootings - CNN.com

Comment

I don't really know what is with this mess. This guy was a Muslim, the only reasons I can think of him doing it is because of his beliefs or insanity of some type. Maybe a combination of both. Even reaching further he could have been a spy on a suicide mission. A sleeper? Meant to do this at a certain time and place lying in wait for years until now.

Are there any more of them?

I must say though, there is no better weapon on earth than a human that is willing to die.
                    Last edited by Kodiakmarmoset; 06 Nov 09,, 03:23.

Comment

I rent shop space to a guy who does electric motor repairs, his son is at Ft. Hood.

He's okay, but said he had a couple friends who were caught up in this, hopefully we'll know more tomorrow.
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakmarmoset View Post
                        I don't really know what is with this mess. This guy was a Muslim, the only reasons I can think of him doing it is because of his beliefs or insanity of some type. Maybe a combination of both. Even reaching further he could have been a spy on a suicide mission. A sleeper? Meant to do this at a certain time and place lying in wait for years until now.

Are there any more of them?

I must say though, there is no better weapon on earth than a human that is willing to die.
                        Do we know he was a Muslim, do you have a link, I know his name sounds like he could be, perhaps we should wait and see and see what transpires out of this, including the other two guys.

Comment

The spooky thing is we were talking the other day on some thread about the ability or lack of ability to take Private Fire Arms on Bases, now this. I believe it was Albany.
                          Last edited by Kernow; 06 Nov 09,, 03:35.

Comment

The gunman is still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                              The gunman is still alive.
                              Link?

Comment

Just heard the press conference in fort Hood...no links yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X