Windows 7 is out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    I guess I've got the horsepower then. My computer is actually overkill for what I use it for. It's capable of running the newest games on the highest setting, no problem, but I haven't played a game in months.
    You need to rectify that situation.

Left 4 Dead 2 is coming out next month. Order now and you can get an in-game baseball bat to beat the zombies with. Otherwise you're stuck with a frying pan.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

windows 7 tested since jan2009

hers my take on win 7

only problem i have had with it is the manufacturer of my computer SONY
      they are bad on getting new drivers and also have turn off vt virtualization
      on the dual core cpus which is needed to run xp virtual mode in win 7.

(running xp programs in win 7)

less resources needed

installation 32 bit requires 1 gig ram 1gig cpu

installation 64 bit requires 2 gig ram 1 gig cpu

it has been installed by some testers on old pent 3 1 gig cpu machines with only 512 ram.

one of the best parts i have found on it is

voice command = use voice controls to run your computer even dictation for filling this reply.

during my time using it i have not locked up / blue screened/ ect once.
      as said my only problem has been sony.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
        1) 10 months of public beta testing involving millions of people
        2) No doubt based largely on that, it outsold Vista... before it was even released.
        I'm grudgingly admitting that Microsoft might have actually figured out the right way to release an OS...but that doesn't mean I'll upgrade until several months after the general release.

Call me a poison-hearted cynic but history has not been kind to MS and their roll-outs. I also know that slow and steady has worked quite nicely for me. My first computer ran Windows 98 SE, right when Windows Me was about to be released and I was offered a voucher or something to upgrade later.

I didn't (thank Ford) and instead I had a mature and stable version of Windows that I recall was cursed out during South Park: The Movie as being terrible. Not for me!

Then my next computer was bought with Windows XP Professional...again, nice and stable. Then Vista came out and once again, no desire to upgrade. Once again, totally glad I didn't.

So I figure I'll do the same with 7. Any bugs will have long since been fixed by the time I (finally) buy or build a new computer.

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

I won't get it for a few months at least.
        2. I'll let the lab rats figure out all the problems first
        Right on brother! That's my strategy as well :))

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        3. What's wrong with XP?
        If you're like me, nothing at all. As long as MS is supporting it and releasing security updates I'll probably keep it as long as possible.

Windows XP mainstream or free support such as patches and bug fixes ends on April 14, and support for security-related fixes will stop coming from Microsoft in April 2014....but other software companies will most likely stop supporting their applications on XP before Microsoft ends its support
        But we have to bear in mind some key XP dates:

October 2001: Initial release of Windows XP

Two-Thousand and ONE??

Yep, which means that sucker was designed in the far-off year of 2000.

The times, they have a-changed since then...particularly the way we use the Net and associated computer gadgets like MP3 players (first iPod was released that same month!) and what is needed is a fresh start (I guess)
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Yeah, from what I’ve seen, Windows 7 does look very promising, and something I can live with! But then again, so did Vista when it was released. No need for me to upgrade. I’ll acquire 7 when I eventually get a new pc. Until then XP will serve me fine.

In fact, apart from upgrading 3.1 to Windows 95 yrs & yrs ago, I don’t think I’ve upgraded operating systems since then (only getting a new OS through buying a new PC).

The Windows XP mode feature sounds rather interesting in 7. It can serve as a temporary or even permanent solution to software that is not compatible with 7. Great idea, and definitely helps with the transition to 7.

Nebula82.

Comment

Been running windows 7 32 bit for a month or so now on my home desktop.
            Smooth as silk no problems.
            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Well you can check out this blog. there is some pretty interesting things here i think.

Windows 7: Microsoft's finest yet? :WebWise:Javed Anwer's blog-The Times Of India
              It is so. It cant be otherwise

Comment

I'm using win7 ,it's really cool。Because my college doesn't allow the freshman take computer, almost all my classmates buy computers this summer ,so we're interesting in A variety of operating systems。Now my pc have three:UBUNTU,XP and win7。Some of my friends have more(it seems they're using Google Chrome)。As for win7,I am not too satisfied with its compatibility。
                Last edited by Luke Gu; 24 Oct 09,, 09:03.

Comment

Working...
                X