• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book is on order!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
      Sorry new here, don't know who is who.
      Always though it would be interesting to see how yards operate. I was thinking to see if there was a book on the Brooklyn or Philly Navy Yards since they are nearby, but Long Beach Naval Shipyard sounds just as historic as well, that will be my next book! If the book is anything like the stories or experiences of what I have read here, then it should be a great read!

I guess I can go on and on with questions!!!
      There's a book on the Brooklyn Navy yard

The Brooklyn Navy Yard (Images of America) (Paperback) by Tom Berner.

I got my copy from Amazon years ago

Comment

Book is on order!
        Thank you very much. I hope you enjoy it. There are a couple of typos in it and that's because CreateSpace (of Amazon) had to reconfigure the margins to fit on the 7 X 10 PDF format. Conversion from MS Word and MS Excel to PDF is NOT as easy as people say it is.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

RustyBattleship... ... another book, you have a book?

Shaft locks, no nav equipment, no galley... sounds like the navy really does not want anything operational and the ship is just there for people to see. I would like to visit all the parts of the ship they do not let you see. Those seem the most interesting. I have read a few threads on this forum and you guys have great stories and seem to know it all.
          If you ever get out to the San Francisco Bay Area, pay a visit to the USS Hornet, permanently docked at the old Alameda NAS; I spent a night on board her last year, and am actually spending this weekend on her again. Most of the areas from the second deck up are open to the public, and they give docent-led tours below decks to the machinery spaces (boiler room, catapult room, aircraft ammo handling room, brig, etc.). When I was there last year, I struck up a conversation with one of the docents working on the #1 elevator, and he offered to take me into parts of the ship that aren't even part of the docent tours (5" shell handling room, emergency generator room, foc'sle, etc.). Pretty cool; looking forward to being there again this weekend.
          "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Sorry new here, don't know who is who.
            Always though it would be interesting to see how yards operate. I was thinking to see if there was a book on the Brooklyn or Philly Navy Yards since they are nearby, but Long Beach Naval Shipyard sounds just as historic as well, that will be my next book! If the book is anything like the stories or experiences of what I have read here, then it should be a great read!

I guess I can go on and on with questions!!!
            You might want to hit up Dreadnaught on this board for the Philly yard. He's local. :)
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Rusty, I'll suffer. Can't wait.

I have been on the Intrepid twice, Massachusetts a few times and volunteered on the NJ. I have relatives near Sacramento, was thinking of visiting them next summer, maybe a day trip to Alameda is in my future. Don't the Mythbuster guys use a runway on Alameda?

What does Dreadnaught do at the Philly yard. He give unofficial tours?

Comment

I was just reading the thread "Iowa hull life. How much left?". Not sure if this is right to say that I feel humbled. I also feel honored to be on this forum chatting with you guys. For someone, me, that has not been in the navy, I have an inkling of an idea what you are talking about in that thread, I am amazed at your knowledge and experiences. I am just some Joe Schmo, a WWII enthusiast, especially naval battles, love the design and looks of ships from that time, Iowa class, Essex class, Fletcher Class, PT Boats to name a few, but sorry to say my favorite ship would be the Bismarck and most of the German ships from destroyer on up.

I have a neighbor who has an uncle that works for the NJ organization and hope to someday get a private tour of the NJ. I also build RC model boats and hope to someday build a model of the Bismarck. Marriage & divorce has interrupted my building, but hope to finish my few unfinished projects then someday start on that Bismarck. Sorry about the tangent. Anyway, you guys have lived with something that alot of people like me envy. Rusty & Ytlas and the rest of you guys, my hat of to you all.

The book cannot get here fast enough. Reading this forum is a book in its own.

Comment

Rusty, I'll suffer. Can't wait.

I have been on the Intrepid twice, Massachusetts a few times and volunteered on the NJ. I have relatives near Sacramento, was thinking of visiting them next summer, maybe a day trip to Alameda is in my future. Don't the Mythbuster guys use a runway on Alameda?

Alameda's not that far from Sac, maybe 1-1/2 hours max (I've done it in an hour, no traffic). The USS Hornet is open 7 days a week, so it shouldn't matter which day you choose to go.

As far as the old NAS runways go, the only thing I know about them is that they filmed a segment of Matrix Reloaded on it, when it doubled as an interstate freeway. Technically, they're still active, but nobody lands planes on them anymore; there's a big "X" painted over the runway numbers now, meaning you're not supposed to "voluntarily" land on them, but every once in a while someone will do a touch-and-go on them.
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

The Mythbusters do use the Alameda air strip for special projects where they need a lot of roadway -- like pulling two semi-trailers in for a head on collision but with a compact car in between.

Their main "office" is the old Hunters Point Naval Shipyard. Lots of buildings and machines to make all kinds of gizmos.

But they had to hold off some of their work about 3 years ago when the shipyard was taken over for a Railroad locomotive festival with old steam engines, etc.
                    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

*Lets just say he has been around many ships including the Iowas and the PNSY for a very long time.:)
                      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Hey Dread, would you be able to lean on somebody so my preservation group could get onto those LKA's in the Philly basin? I'm trying to get contacts through the navsea office but its a tedious process
                        You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
                          Hey Dread, would you be able to lean on somebody so my preservation group could get onto those LKA's in the Philly basin? I'm trying to get contacts through the navsea office but its a tedious process
                          *No can do as those three LKA's the Charleston LKA-113, El Paso LKA-117 and Mobile LKA-115 are all in maintenance category "B" status (NISMF) last time I checked. I suppose you could petition the Navy to get aboard her which will then contact the yard and recheck the status of the ships and perhaps grant you permission. Much higher up then I could reach my friend. Far too much red tape.
                          Last edited by Dreadnought; 21 Oct 09,, 16:58.

Comment

Crapola, thats what I figured. Thanks though.
                            You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
                              Crapola, thats what I figured. Thanks though.
                              Anytime swabbie.:));)

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                                *No can do as those three LKA's the Charleston LKA-113, El Paso LKA-117 and Mobile LKA-115 are all in maintenance category "B" status (NISMF) last time I checked.
                                Interesting that the Mobile was homeported in Long Beach and decommissioned in Long Beach, yet wound up in Philly instead of Suisun bay.

Comment

Working...
                                X