SKS Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SKS Question

So I'm finally bringing myself around to buying an SKS, but I can't seem to find any at a fair price. Most I'm seeing are $300+ for either a Yugo, but as I recall it should be more like $250 for one in good condition. Anyone have any suggestions where to get one?

Yugo SKS w/ 16.5" Barrel : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

quick search

Comment

the longer you wait to buy a firearm, the higher the price, the exception is when a model first comes out, then it is expensive till the firearms get to market, there is a kind of steady price period, then when that production starts to wind down and they are harder to find, the price goes up. The exception, is if NRA magazine does an article on a particular firearm, which can send prices skyrocketing, as happened with the 1897 trench guns.
      CADPIPE

Comment

To a point there is also the current political climate effect that I don't think is permanat unless some actual legislationon the matter passes. The fact that the current government is heavily democratic party has also dirven prices up a bit and I expect them to come down fairly significantly (about 10 to 14% after the mid terms if the make-up of congress changes to be a bit more red. Just like you saw a drop in prices after the end of the assault weapons ban.

Comment

Why get an SKS when you have access to buy AK clones?
          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            Why get an SKS when you have access to buy AK clones?
            becouse ak clones are garbage most of the time.

300 is a fare price for sks in a good condition, i've seen lots of sks here, but unlike ak's, very few are crappy, one of the major flaws would be shitty furniture, steel for the most part is of a good quality.

sks, is more accurate than ak, usually, unless sks is ruined, you will see better groups from sks, than almost any ak. plus in some areas (like mine) you can't have ak, but sks is allowed
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
              becouse ak clones are garbage most of the time.

300 is a fare price for sks in a good condition, i've seen lots of sks here, but unlike ak's, very few are crappy, one of the major flaws would be shitty furniture, steel for the most part is of a good quality.

sks, is more accurate than ak, usually, unless sks is ruined, you will see better groups from sks, than almost any ak. plus in some areas (like mine) you can't have ak, but sks is allowed
              Really? I did not know SKS are more accurate than AK.

I have a Yugo rifle that's based on the SKS. It's the best we can get in Kalifornia. Now I don't feel so bad about not having an AK.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

They are generally more acurate though they still don't usually tend to be world beaters on the accuracy front esspecially the chinese ones. Some of the others are pretty impressive for a ontermediate power 30 calibre carbine.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
                  They are generally more acurate though they still don't usually tend to be world beaters on the accuracy front esspecially the chinese ones. Some of the others are pretty impressive for a ontermediate power 30 calibre carbine.
                  Don't plan on getting a Chinese one. Either Russian or Yugo.

Comment

Might look at romainian as well they are pretty good and sometimes you can find one at a good price.

Comment

They're usually more accurate because their stocks and general layout is more shooter-friendly and comfortable than that of AK's (at least that's why mine is more accurate). Although I can't get over that fat semi-pistol grip stock...
                      "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by ace16807 View Post
                        Don't plan on getting a Chinese one. Either Russian or Yugo.
                        There's nothing wrong with the Chinese ones. Yugos have more of a chance of having a pitted bore since corrosive ammo was ran through them and they aren't chrome lined, so always check the bore on a yugo.

Comment

My Norinco (Chinese) SKS is very accurate. I did get the M-4 type stock from Tapco to replace the boring wooden furniture though...

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
                            My Norinco (Chinese) SKS is very accurate. I did get the M-4 type stock from Tapco to replace the boring wooden furniture though...
                            Boring is a matter of opinion, to me tapco stocks on a SKS is disgusting.

Comment

Most of the AR stocks tacked on to non-AR weapons look like crap.
                              "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Working...
                              X