• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. eyes $7.8 billion missile sale to Turkey

U.S. eyes $7.8 billion missile sale to Turkey
    By Jim Wolf
    http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCan...58A4KW20090911

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Obama administration has notified Congress of a possible $7.8 billion sale of Patriot PAC-3 antimissile batteries and related gear to Turkey, the only NATO ally bordering Iran.

The sale would include 13 Patriot "fire units," 72 Patriot Advanced Capability-3 missiles and a range of associated hardware for ground-based air defense, the Pentagon's Defense Security Cooperation Agency said in a notice made public Friday.

It estimated the cost at $7.8 billion, which would be one of the biggest U.S. government-to-government arms sales in years and would mark a return of Turkey as a major U.S. arms buyer.

Turkey would use the PAC-3 guided missiles to boost its missile-defense capability, strengthen its homeland defense and deter regional threats, the defense agency said.

"Turkey is a partner of the United States in ensuring peace and stability in the region," it said. "It is vital to the U.S. national interest to assist our North Atlantic Treaty Organization ally in developing and maintaining a strong and ready self-defense capability that will contribute to an acceptable military balance in the area."

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned Iran's leaders on July 26 that if they were seeking nuclear weapons, "your pursuit is futile," days after she raised the possibility of a U.S.-built "defense umbrella" over the Middle East to counter Iranian clout.

In separate notices to Congress released Friday, the Obama administration announced a potential $220 million artillery rocket sale to Jordan and a possible $187 million sale of F-16 fighter-carried weapons to Morocco.

The primary contractors for the Turkish sale would be Raytheon Co and Lockheed Martin Corp. The notice of a potential sale is required by law. It does not mean a sale has been concluded.

In the case of a NATO member such as Turkey, Congress has 15 days to block a proposed arms deal by passing a joint resolution of disapproval, though it never has stopped a sale once formally notified.

The proposed supply of the equipment to Turkey, along with U.S. logistical support, would not alter the basic military balance in the region, the notice to Congress said.

This would mark the first Turkish purchase of PAC-3 missiles, it said. It would reverse a Turkish trend away from U.S. arms purchases in recent years, said Soner Cagaptay, an expert on Turkey at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, a nonpartisan research group.

Such a purchase would represent "a big consolidation of U.S.-Turkish military ties," he said.

The Patriot PAC-3 missile would provide Turkey some capability to defend against short-range Iranian SCUD missiles with a range of 500 kms to more than 800 kms, said Steven Hildreth, a missile-defense expert at the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service.

Iranian missiles are currently capable of reaching all of Turkey, Hildreth said.

Turkey's geostrategic importance for the United States depends partly on Incirlik Air Base, located near Adana in southeast Turkey. KC-135 refueling planes operating out of Incirlik have delivered more than 35 million gallons of fuel to U.S. warplanes on missions in Iraq and Afghanistan, the research service said in a report last year.

Carol Migdalovitz, an expert on the country at the research service, said the proposed sale showed Turkey was hedging its bets on improved ties with Iran.

"While it has improved (bilateral) trade and energy ties, Turkey remains wary of Iran's nuclear program," she said.

(Reporting by Jim Wolf, editing by Matthew Lewis, Bernard Orr)

Where is Russia complaining about us putting missiles in Turkey again? ;-)
    You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

The Obama administration has notified Congress of a possible $7.8 billion sale of Patriot PAC-3 antimissile batteries and related gear to Turkey, the only NATO ally bordering Iran.
      Will it all be all paid by Turkey。I mean $7.8 billion isn't a small budget to Turkey。Will US not offer some Financial assistance as what you have done to Pakstan?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Gu View Post
        Will it all be all paid by Turkey。I mean $7.8 billion isn't a small budget to Turkey。Will US not offer some Financial assistance as what you have done to Pakstan?
        I believe with such a purchase there will also be major offset agreements in place. I know Roketsan, a Turkish Government company has been producing components for the United Arab Emirates Patriot purchase for Raytheon: Raytheon Names Roketsan Key Supplier for Patriot Missile Assembly

Also, im sure it won't be too hard for a country with $1 trillion GDP (PPP) to finance such a purchase. They seem to have been financing other major things such as 116 JSF ($11 billion), 12 Corvettes ($3 billion), 6 AAW Frigates ($4 billion), 6 B737 MESA AWACS ($3 billion), 250 + 650 Altay Tanks ($5 billion), 10 ATR-72 ASW Aircraft ($0.219 billion), 50 T129 Attack Helicopters ( $1.7 billion) etc.

But then again the Turks can also use the FMS program as a last resort.

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
          Where is Russia complaining about us putting missiles in Turkey again? ;-)
          Russia is actually in the same Tender offering the Turks co-production of the S-400. It is also negotiating the sale of Nuclear technology for peaceful means to Turkey. And as if all this is not enough Russia is today Turkey's number one trading partner. Weird things are happening these days

Comment

russia being a major trading partner of turkeys only makes sense given geography.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
              russia being a major trading partner of turkeys only makes sense given geography.
              Turkey is a NATO member. NATO was at the forefront of politically and economically isolating the USSR/Russia. The closser Turkey gets to Russia the more worried I would be.

Comment

There is much critism of this purchase in turkish media but its mainly because of the usual anti-US feelings. I think this purchase was long overdue since we did not have any anti-ballistic missle capability and are surrounded with scuds. Turkey doesn't want to buy whole systems without tech transfer or domestic partnership but tactical needs prevailed over economy this time I guess.

Comment

Turkey is a useless allie to NATO, There troops refuse to fight the taliban and they are poorly equipt and badly trained. The end.

Comment

One liners and zero brains.

Comment

He was a bad speller anyway....
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by 97kcoats View Post
                        Turkey is a useless allie to NATO, There troops refuse to fight the taliban and they are poorly equipt and badly trained. The end.
                        Excuse me? Turkey has been at the forefront of fighting the Taliban and other terrorist entities in Iraq. It is the Turkish Air Force bases which today support coalition missions into Iraq and Afghanistan.

And contrary to your baseless claim that Turkish soldiers "refuse" to fight the Taliban, Turkey has in fact given numerous casualties in Afghanistan. Col. Faruk Sungur, Commander of the Turkish Forces in Afghanistan and Sgt. Mevlüt Baydur are the most recent.

Over 30 Turkish Engineers have also been beheaded in Afghanistan. As if this wasn't enough there beheadings were streamed live on the internet for their children and families to view!

And if you state that the Turkish soldiers are poorly equiped and badly trained then all NATO members including the US, UK, Germany, France etc should be poorly equiped and badly trained because they too receive the same standard of training and equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by district View Post
                          Excuse me? Turkey has been at the forefront of fighting the Taliban and other terrorist entities in Iraq. It is the Turkish Air Force bases which today support coalition missions into Iraq and Afghanistan.

And contrary to your baseless claim that Turkish soldiers "refuse" to fight the Taliban, Turkey has in fact given numerous casualties in Afghanistan. Col. Faruk Sungur, Commander of the Turkish Forces in Afghanistan and Sgt. Mevlüt Baydur are the most recent.

Over 30 Turkish Engineers have also been beheaded in Afghanistan. As if this wasn't enough there beheadings were streamed live on the internet for their children and families to view!

And if you state that the Turkish soldiers are poorly equiped and badly trained then all NATO members including the US, UK, Germany, France etc should be poorly equiped and badly trained because they too receive the same standard of training and equipment.
                          Don't bother answering the guy.

My main question is whether the Turkish-Iranian relations are in that low point where the Turkish Army thinks it must equipt itself with a system that expensive.

And what are the chances Iran will actually attack Turkey? I don't know about you, but to me, this sounds insane. Iran rants about Israel, I have never heard any complaints about Turkey... Same with Russia. I don't see Russia attacking Turkey, the economic and strategic ties are too strong for that.

Comment

I agree that Iran would not attack Turkey without provocation, however Turkey might decide to attack Iran :D. In the event of a US occupation or surgical strikes Turkey might choose to support the operations or not. But if we choose to support then it is most possible Iranians will try to retaliate and their only option would be using ballistic missles. Thus the presence of patriots will give greater flexibility to Turkish decision makers in a time of crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastagir View Post
                              Don't bother answering the guy.

My main question is whether the Turkish-Iranian relations are in that low point where the Turkish Army thinks it must equipt itself with a system that expensive.

And what are the chances Iran will actually attack Turkey? I don't know about you, but to me, this sounds insane. Iran rants about Israel, I have never heard any complaints about Turkey... Same with Russia. I don't see Russia attacking Turkey, the economic and strategic ties are too strong for that.
                              Although Turkey does not presently have any enemies (and No Greece and Armenia are not enemies), it does not take long for friends to become foes in a matter of months. Iran is an example. Iran under the Shah's rule was once an ally of the west.

Military capability must be maintained whether or not you have threats. Turkey's purchase of such defensive missiles should not viewed as being direted at any country. It is simply an insurance policy for the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X