Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where Were You When You Heard the News on 9/11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where Were You When You Heard the News on 9/11?

I was driving through the gate of Fort Lewis for morning PT when I heard a plane had flown into the World Trade Center. I figured it was just some dumb jacka$$ flying a Cessna that didn't know what he was doing. After doing a 9 mile run, someone said to check out CNN and when I pulled it up on the internet, I saw the picture of the first tower in flames and the picture of the second plane crashing into the other tower.
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

I was watching in my living room in total disbelief and horror , and thinking HTF can this be happening , after a while my horror and revulsion turned to anger and hate .

Comment

I was working at a remote cellular phone site in a power easement in the middle of nowhere.I had my truck doors open listening to the news on the radio when they announced the first plane impact.I finished up my work and beat feet into our nearest central office building just in time to see the second plane impact on the TV news.
      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

In the Army DCSLOG Conference Room preparing for a demonstration of the C2 system I was working on for the Dep Army DCSLOG (now Dep G4). Found out about the rest while standing in the South Parking Lot at the Pentagon and on the radio as I drove south out of DC.
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

I was assigned to the Iraqi Military Forces Team at NSA. We were wrapping up a video teleconference, and the guy at Ft Gordon said, 'Well, I guess you guys want to get back to the office and watch TV.' We all must have looked like deer in the headlights, because he said, 'You haven't heard what's going on?'

No. We had not. We went upstairs wondering what the hell he was talking about, and found the rest of the office standing around the TV with their mouths hanging open. That's when the second plane hit, and we all instantly knew: we're under attack.

First thought was, 'Did Saddam have anything to do with this, and if so, how did we miss it?' Instantly start reviewing reporting, frantic search for some indicator that would make sense, given the new facts.

After the Pentagon got hit, the evac order was given, and we all tried to leave at the same time. I was in the NSA parking lot for two and a half hours, with nothing to do but listen to the radio.

I was in hell. The next two days at home were even worse, and when we went back to work, I have never felt mental pressure that intense in my life.

I'm not over it, by the way. This will be with me forever, and if I get a bit overwrought about the war, this is a partial explanation of it. The other part is that two of the most important people in my life are directly, intimately involved in the conflict, so if I sense a lack of resolve or commitment, I'm liable to take it extremely personally.

Sorry to make this post so long. But there's a lot inside me today that needs to come out.

Comment

I was learning in a Boarding School。So I hear this from others。Because I'm just a small boy at that time,so I feel nothing about it.

Comment

I was at work, when some one said that a Airliner had been shot down by terrorists and had crashed onto new York. I checked the news on my mobile, one of the first models with WAP. I then spent about half and hour explaining the implications of the attack.

I got home to find an e-mail from a friend who had been in the Pentagon and was letting people know that he was safe.

My initial reaction was to wait until I received a full news report before making any pronouncements on the subject as it would just pure speculation

Comment

I was hoovering and I saw the planes hit on the TV so couldnt hear the commentry. I thought it was a movie, until somebody mentioned it about an hour later.

Comment

Sorry to make this post so long. But there's a lot inside me today that needs to come out.
                  Do not care about it。I can feel the sad from you and I'm sorry for my
                  Schadenfreude to US。

Comment

How come theyve not built freedom tower or whatever its called yet?

Its been 8 years..

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                      You of all people my friend,have no reason to apologize.You and your family's dedicated service to our country is admirable to say the least.
                      Last edited by Shamus; 11 Sep 09,, 17:26.
                      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

i didn't hear it, i saw it all with my own eyes, from 2 blocks away
                        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

i didn't hear it, i saw it all with my own eyes, from 2 blocks away
                          What's your idea when you saw it ?

Comment

I had just got home from PT, my roomate had the TV on and as I walked in the door he said: "Looks like we're going to war, brother".

He was correct.
                            America doesn't deserve its military

-Emma Sky

Comment

Transmission

I was in the operations section of the transmission business line for Bonneville Power. Big screen in front and we'd been on shift since 0600hrs PST. Watched it all go down from there.

BPA was freaking. Transmission lines for the west coast all were routed and controlled through that location in Vancouver, Washington.
                              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Working...
                              X